cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachman Freedom Express 19RBS

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a few of you that own this TT on these forums, sorry but I can't remember who you are.
How do you like it? The floor plan is similar to my KZ Sportsman Classic 17RBS but the Coachman has some amenities that my KZ doesn't, so i'm interested in it.
How is the quality build of the trailer?
Quality of the cabinets,drawers, are they wood?
How's the fit and finish work?
What is the roofing material, I looked on their website but did see it.

IIRC one of y'all tow that trailer with a Honda Ridgeline which will be our tow vehicle......I hope you see this got a few TV questions.
14 REPLIES 14

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a Freedom Express 192RBS by Coachmen and I love it more each time I use it!

Great features, lots of near-luxury appointments and fantastic build quality. In fact, I am approaching my one-year mark, and still can't come up with much of anything that needs to be done before the factory warranty expires.

Light-weight and easy to tow, I use either a 2017 Toyota Tacoma V6 or a 2017 Lexus LX570, and both work fine. It is also easy to maneuver, which was important to me as I live on a sloped, mountain property with a couple tight turns in my driveway.

I can definitely understand why it is at the top of many Coachmen dealer's best-seller list. The dealer I purchased from said that haven't ever had a new one in stock for more than a month or two. Mine was on the lot there less than 15 days when I purchased it, and they were in the process of ordering several more at the time.

Feel free to message me if you have any other specific questions, and also be sure to check out the 192RBS walk-around videos on YouTube produced by Haylett RV, up in Michigan. Although they were not my selling dealer, they have several excellent and in-depth walk-around videos on the Freedom Express series and their enthusiasm for this unit in particular really shows.

No buyer's remorse or regrets for me. I can see me keeping this unit for years and years to come.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out as well as mine has for me. You can also check out my other posts for info. about saving money by purchasing through Costco RV buyer's program as well.

Have fun. be safe and Happy Camping y'all!
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Last Train wrote:
Point being, despite this unit not having a sealed underbelly, with proper precautions you can survive a variety of weather conditions in this unit.

Although I haven't actually looked myself to confirm this I think the newest model year 192RBS does now have an enclosed underbelly.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
Okay... I could go on gushing about my camper. I can't help it. I like it that much.

Obviously we all really enjoy our 192RBS', and our Canadian friend and my fellow Texan have illustrated that well. I will add a couple of anecdotes to illustrate how we have successfully used this rig in extremes of weather.

(1) Last summer (2016), we spent over two weeks in the heart of the Rio Grande Valley in and around McAllen/Mission, Texas. Now, for those of you outside this part of the States, let me say that normally sane people would NOT do such a thing at the that time of the year, because it is insanely HOT! We had specific reasons to be there (to help a struggling church in the area), but it was averaging 113 F daily when we were camping. Furthermore, the prevailing winds were such that there was no way we could put out our awning. However, that Dometic A/C unit did a marvelous job of keeping us cool and comfortable. We're not talking about a lot of floor space, so that wasto our advantage, but everything worked great, and we had a wonderful time.

(2) This past winter we decided on a whim to take a few days to camp in the edge of the Texas Hill Country - in a campground in Bulverde, Texas on US 281 north of San Antonio. (Our San Antonio friend knows whereof I speak.) We knew it was going to be cold, and we planned for freezing temperatures, but Lordy, we had two nights in a row of 15 F & 16 F overnight temps. Our water hoses were wrapped with that rubbery insulation, and I left a drip on overnight. Well, those were fine, but our brass elbow at the fresh water port wasn't wrapped sufficiently and our pressure regulator likewise. So, some ice there. But . . . no problems with the internal plumbing or fittings. We opened the galley cabinet and bathroom doors and exposed them to our ceramic heater (with an occasional boos from our furnace), and despite some ice on the windows, all was great.

Point being, despite this unit not having a sealed underbelly, with proper precautions you can survive a variety of weather conditions in this unit. That doesn't count numerous thunderstorms we have successfully endured.)
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
I wanted to add something about my 192RBS. The slide houses a sofa.

Yep, opens up the interior space considerably when deployed but when parked here at home I leave the slide in and still have full access to everything, not something that can be said of many other trailers.

I also want to point out the bathroom. It is small, but totally usable. I am a big guy. I can shower comfortably standing up straight. Most importantly, and this may sound silly to those who have never had this problem in a camper, I can sit on the toilet and close the door!

Yep, about as small as a bathroom with a separate toilet and shower could be but you're only in there for brief periods of time. To prevent the curtain from sticking to us while showering I devised a PVC bow that prevents this ... works like a charm. ๐Ÿ™‚

The reason you can close the bathroom door when seated on the throne is said throne is angled, allowing for more leg room, a simple but smart solution. ๐Ÿ™‚

This camper was an upgrade from a tiny little camper that served me well for 5 years. I knew what features I needed after that: electric water heater, big eye-level refrigerator with a big freezer, walk around bed, higher off the ground, lots of storage, and dual axles. With this one I also got things I never even thought about things like a power tongue jack, oven, speaker system, powered awning, a HUGE lighted storage bay, tons of outlets, night stands, and reading lamps, which are among my favorite luxuries.

Current models, unlike my 2014, offer a full length 80" queen bed plus a vent over the main cabin in which one could mount a powered vent fan. Interior lighting is now all LED and outside you'd not only find a black tank flush but also a prewired solar panel connector - just plug in a portable panel and you're charging. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am pretty much of a neat freak when I am camping ...

Should be easy with all the storage space this model offers, both inside cabinet storage and a HUGE front pass through cargo compartment. We carry anything we need yet I have space left over, especially the cabinet over the sofa which is nearly empty. :B

To the OP ...

If the 192RBS seems too small and the 231RBDS I referred to earlier too large you might also want to take a look at a new entry to the Coachmen Freedom Express lineup, the Non-slide 204RD which is also proving to be a very popular model. ๐Ÿ™‚

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to add something about my 192RBS. The slide houses a sofa. It is not very deep. However, when it is out, it makes the living space seem HUGE. The good thing is that you can use the trailer with the slide in, if you want to or need to for any reason. It does not cramp the space much at all. You can't access the tank sensor buttons, and the clock is half hidden, but you still have access to everything else. If you came into the trailer with the slide in, and you did not know it had a slide, you would not even notice the missing space.

I also want to point out the bathroom. It is small, but totally usable. I am a big guy. I can shower comfortably standing up straight. Most importantly, and this may sound silly to those who have never had this problem in a camper, I can sit on the toilet and close the door!

This camper was an upgrade from a tiny little camper that served me well for 5 years. I knew what features I needed after that: electric water heater, big eye-level refrigerator with a big freezer, walk around bed, higher off the ground, lots of storage, and dual axles. With this one I also got things I never even thought about things like a power tongue jack, oven, speaker system, powered awning, a HUGE lighted storage bay, tons of outlets, night stands, and reading lamps, which are among my favorite luxuries.

I am pretty much of a neat freak when I am camping (I wish it would carry over to home). Everything has to be in its place at all times. You get this way after 5 years in a tiny trailer. When I am sitting on the sofa resting after a long hot Texas hike, I look around the interior of this camper and feel like I am in a model home. It is a very attractive living space.

Okay... I could go on gushing about my camper. I can't help it. I like it that much.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:
jjjandrbaker, thank-you for the input. So far the 3 that own a 192RBS give it good reviews.

My understanding is that my own local dealer is by volume of sales the 2nd largest Coachmen dealer here in Canada, with the 192RBS being his most popular model. That strikes me as impressive considering his Freedom Express, Apex, and Catalina lines include models from very short to very long. No wonder - the 192RBS offers pretty well anything an adult couple could need for a comfortable camping experience yet is easy to tow and will fit on pretty well any campsite, eliminating the need to reserve ahead of time to ensure getting a site suitable for accommodating a much larger trailer. For those who feel the 192RBS is a bit tight for their tastes I'd suggest they consider a Coachmen Freedom Express 231RBDS. :B

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjjandrbaker, thank-you for the input. So far the 3 that own a 192RBS give it good reviews.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a technical person by a long shot. I could not begin to tell you what my roof is made of. However, I can tell you that the doors and cabinets in my 192 RBS all seem to be well-made. I did have a problem with the bottom shelf of the main galley shelving. It was my fault. I totally overloaded and it caved in a bit. Easy fix.

This model is, as stated before, a great couples unit. It feels very roomy. I have no complaints. I have taken it on 18 two-four night trips since buying it new last October. Towing is a breeze.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:
Last Train.., our Ridgeline is a 2006 with a factory tow package that includes a transmission cooler and factory hitch but has an after market brake control. The Ridgeline has 140000 miles on it and i average 10mpg towing the KZ. I never wieghed the TT but the dry weight sticker on the TT is listed @ 2590.

We travel with 2 small dogs that if you put them together would just about equal your dogs size, they too love camping.

Thanks again for a great and helpful post, i just re-read it.

I'm going to PM you for a couple of other thoughts so as not to bore everyone else. Meanwhile, headed off to see some ruins of ancient Roman baths. Kinda' wish we had our rig over here. Would love to tow around here on these roads and terrain. Fun stuff!
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last Train.., our Ridgeline is a 2006 with a factory tow package that includes a transmission cooler and factory hitch but has an after market brake control. The Ridgeline has 140000 miles on it and i average 10mpg towing the KZ. I never wieghed the TT but the dry weight sticker on the TT is listed @ 2590.

We travel with 2 small dogs that if you put them together would just about equal your dogs size, they too love camping.

Thanks again for a great and helpful post, i just re-read it.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy & Last Train yes now I remember who owns the 192RBS. Yup they have a 80" long bed in the new model. But if it had a 74" I don't think it would be a deal breaker but prefer the 80".

Last Train WOW!! thank-you I'm going to re-read your post but thanks for all that info!!!!!

That coachmen seems like a lot of trailer for the money. Glad to hear the positive feedback.

Normal Dave thanks for the reply but I don't really care for the Retro. I really like OutdoorsRV, seen one 20FQ here in TN. nice camper.
There some good deals on the 22RB, new 2017 model.I really wish they were farther east. Closes dealer is in CO.
If I decide to keep my KZ a couple of years the 22RB is still an option. In 2 years i'll buy a new truck.

But like I said the coachman seems nice for the money and theres a dealer that has it in stock 90 mins. from my home!

Thanks again fellas!!

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:
There's a few of you that own this TT on these forums, sorry but I can't remember who you are.
How do you like it? The floor plan is similar to my KZ Sportsman Classic 17RBS but the Coachman has some amenities that my KZ doesn't, so i'm interested in it.
How is the quality build of the trailer?
Quality of the cabinets,drawers, are they wood?
How's the fit and finish work?
What is the roofing material, I looked on their website but did see it.

IIRC one of y'all tow that trailer with a Honda Ridgeline which will be our tow vehicle......I hope you see this got a few TV questions.

Gotta' love the Internet. So I'm sitting on the porch of our daughter's house in SW Germany enjoying the cool afternoon breeze after a refreshing 1/2 hour walk through their village . . . logged on and saw your thread. Ironic, because I was thinking of posting a couple of pics of "caravans" (travel trailers over here) we've seen in the village. Single axle, perhaps 20' long and towed by your typical European mini-van or smaller sedan. Hmmmmm . . .

So to your question(s) -
We are a couple who have the schedule flexibility and ambient weather along the Texas Gulf Coast to enjoy our 192 RBS year round, and we do. It is definitely a couple's camper, though the jack knife sofa could accommodate a smaller child. We do camp with our 47 lb. dog, and she really loves the experience. (Don't know if you need to allow for a dog such as ours, but it is important to think through how and where your critter will handle the camping experience without being stressed.) We spent over a year researching the whole RV scene and sought feedback from experienced campers to develop a baseline of needs, then wants - all within the trailering specifications of our 2011 Ridgeline RTL. That's the backgound to our decision path, and we couldn't be happier.

As to fit and finish and materials, etc. - I'll just say that this unit probably exemplifies much of the same quality as other trailers in this price category. Our particular unit has not shown any examples of shoddy assembly, fortunately. Maybe we just caught the right day of the week for ours to be built. We did opt to buy ours new from a multi-site dealer here in Texas that has been very good for technical questions and actual service.

All of the doors and hinges function to spec as well as our appliances and electronics. I will plead ignorance as to the material sourced for our roof. Our local Coachmen dealer provided (gratis) a tube of Dicor for me to use for any needed touch up and maintenance. (I have since used more to augment a few areas that seemed to need it.)

So all in all, we are pleased as can be with this TT. Nothing is perfect, and there have been just a couple of simply remedied issues either by our dealer or me in our driveway. This forum as well as a couple of others have been informative - particularly regarding being proactive about maintenance.

We have made very good use of the excellent provision of space for storage, and we have not had to cram stuff in to make do. My dear wife has been a master at analyzing our needs for foodstuffs, kitchen utensils, cooking gear, as well as linens and closet space. Our longest trip so far was last year: about 2 1/2 weeks; only 1,500+ miles in total on a big loop from the Houston area up to the Northern Ozark Mountains (Eureka Springs) and back southwestward through hills in eastern Oklahoma and then eventually southward through central Texas. I mention that not in any way to call attention to the scope of our trip - but only to illustrate that this unit is quite capable of sustaining two adults for a few weeks in a very comfortable manner. You've probably already figured out your camping lifestyle expectations, so perhaps our experience will offer you some positive feedback. I probably would not want to spend much more than a month in this unit, but that's a personal camping lifestyle decision only you can make.

I also should note that when loaded for such a trip as last year's Ozark run, we weighed the trailer at a CAT Scale and came in at approx. 4,700 lbs (don't have any records with me on this side of the Atlantic, but that number is really close). Further, our tongue weight is typically 480-520 lbs. (we use a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale to obtain that number before every trip). We do not use a WD hitch but I do make good use of a friction sway bar. The result is that we have been solid as a rock in every towing regime that we have encountered so far. Wind is an export crop in Texas, and we have been very stable in cross winds, tail winds and head winds. On interstates you will experience the slightest lateral push and pull from passing semis, etc. But as candid as I can be on an anonymous Internet forum, I have not been uncomfortable, uncertain or otherwise intimidated by our towing experiences thus far.

It's been fun enough to say that within 3 weeks of our return from Europe, we are going to hitch up and head north to Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills area. So at the end of August we are hoping to escape the South Texas heat for an almost 3 week journey. Really looking forward to this trip. It will be around 3,000+ miles round trip, and we will be co-camping with another couple in their Class A Alegro motor home for a part of our trip.

So finally, yes we have been quite pleased with our towing experience with our '11 Ridgeline RTL. The Mt. Rushmore run will start our third season of towing (we bought our 2016 192 RBS in August, 2015), and we have only logged something over 7,500 miles (that includes every single mile that TT has been on the road since we bought it). Our overall mpg (hand calculated) has clocked in at 9.02 mpg. I neglected to check your profile to see which generation Ridgeline you own, so our truck may not be a good comparison if you own the 2017 Generation 2 Ridge (if you do, you can be confident that the Gen 2 truck will exceed our truck's capabilities).

But with either the gen 1 or gen 2, watching your payload is key. Our yellow sticker on our door frame reflects a total payload capacity of 1,470 lbs. So we have found by weighing regularly and staying within the truck's specifications that the Ridgeline and 192 RBS have been very kind to us. You are surely aware that a part of your standard equipment is a transmission cooler, power steering cooler, dual radiator fans as well as a Class III hitch receiver and factory wiring harness to receive the electronic brake controller of your choice (which you may already have installed but certainly need if not yet).

Forum member SoundGuy has an earlier model of our rig, and I would encourage you to view his photo log for the various mods he has made (you're welcome, my Canadian colleague!). We've done several ourselves, but I've been too lazy to document them via photo. PM me if you are really interested.

I just remembered that he mentioned our potential interest in a 1/2 ton (we've messaged a bit back and forth on this since he tows the same rig at virtually the same weight). Yes, we've thought some about adding a 1/2 ton to our "fleet" at home. The key issue that I have focused on is mpg. We are at the very upper limit of this truck's stated specifications, and I've noted its positive performance above, but I would like to gain some efficiency and economics - particularly as our truck ages. We have approx. 140,000+ miles on the odometer, and I also tow our 3,800 lb. boat to fish either in one of our bays or an area lake - quite a lot, so that's lots of towing. There's not a squeak or rattle in our Ridgeline, but I want to preserve it for quite a few years yet. So with that in mind, we are looking to offload some of our towing needs from our Ridge to an additional truck. Meanwhile, as long as you monitor your weights just hitch it up and go.

This post has been way too long and perhaps boring, but I hope that something in all of this will have been helpful. Meanwhile, I'm watching the slowly setting sun from here in the Black Forest. Life is good . . .

2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Since you and I are fans of Outdoors RV/Creekside, then build quality is high on our list. Since you tow with a Ridgeline, even though it's a wonderful truck, you already know you are limited in size/weight.

These might not appeal to you style-wise, but they are beginning to grow on me, and I've read numerous good reports on build quality, factory support, and low frequency of complaints. Alabama Jim on the forum has one, loves it and recommends it highly. He toured the plant, and bought one. Might reach out to him for an owner perspective. No worries about delamination of walls, repairs come easy, certainly "old school cool".

Anyhow, here's one close to your size and price point of the Coachmen:
Riverside RV Retro 199FKS

Retro specs

Edit: PM sent...
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:

Forum member Last Train tows his Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS with a Ridgeline but I believe he's thinking of upgrading to a 1/2 ton truck. I tow my own '14 with a Silverado and it works just fine. My only complaints with ours were the too short 74" queen bed and lack of a vent in the main cabin but both those issues have been addressed with newer models, including Last Train's. I believe the 192RBS now has an enclosed underbelly but as far as I can tell Coachmen has done nothing to improve fresh water tank support, as I had to do with my own '14. Cabinets are solid wood and although Coachmen did experiment for a short time with TPO roof membrane they've now returned to using EPDM.