cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy Shake

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Just read a few articles about "Chevy Shake". Apparently two 8 speed transmissions and aluminum drive shafts have been ID'd in a class action as the issue. Test drove a really nice truck recently and that thing just about shook my teeth loose. So...googled "shaking chevy truck" and up came the class action and a number of articles.

Wondering if anyone here has had issues like this and what did you do about it? We still have our 2004 Silverado LT3 and have replaced nearly everything on it...getting a reman transmission at the moment. I joke with DH that maybe he should think of this as "restoration" project rather than OMG here comes another big $$$$ repair!

Looking at Traverse for a daily driver now. Any issues with them??

Thanks! And...DH sends his thanks as well. 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Never heard of the Chevy Shake.

I prefer Chocolate shakes.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
MFL wrote:

Nice picture! Very flashy, nice looking car, and driver too!

Jerry
Sadly because of health issues she will no longer be able to drive it! 😞

Sorry to hear about that!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:

Jerry
Sadly because of health issues she will no longer be able to drive it! 😞
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
covetsthesun wrote:

Last summer DW was T-boned in her 2004 Buick Rainier and it was totaled. So we went a drove a few SUVs new and couple years old. Used Highlander which was sold but made me feel like my toes were sticking up behind the dash. 2019 Tahoe which I liked and she felt was to big. New Traverse that felt like a plastic pig that needed 6 kids jumping around in it, and not inspiring at all, and we did not need or want a third row seat.

Hey nice pix! And thank you for the advice. We test drove a 21 Traverse 3LT with a lot of stuff added. While it was nice to drive...it just had too much stuff we will never use and that drove the price up. We LOVE Tahoes! But love our bank account more. A third row would be nice just for cargo space...we'd never use 3rd row seats...but the space would be nice. Maybe it's time we started travelling with a lot less stuff LOL!

Then we got in a 2015 Ford Edge Sport with the twin turbo 2.7L V6. Drove it a short distance turned and high fived each other. It was a Canadian import and showed rust on the brake rotor hubs, so we turned in down.

Back home I found a 2020 Edge ST with the twin turbo 2.7L V6 with 335HP and 380 ft lbs of torque that was deeply discounted as service loaner with 1500 miles on it. We brought that home the next day. It is a kick to drive with a tuned performance suspension. I am signed up for Ford's free ST Performance Drive Experience in Park City Utah June first. They buy you diner and one night in motel and the next day you do a road trip in one of their Edge ST's, then skid pad and finally do laps on a track. I think somewhere during the day they let you experience the vehicles collision avoidance feature.

So if you want a sporty SUV that does not cost 60K, see if you can find a close out 2020 which are discounted around 10K right now. 0-60 in 5.7 secs and 14.1 98+ mph in the 1/4 mile in a 4500 lb SUV with a suspension tuned to handle this kind for power and performance.

Check the price on this one:
https://www.roberthorneford.com/new-Apache+Junction-2020-Ford-Edge-ST-2FMPK4AP2LBB39007

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
covetsthesun wrote:

Last summer DW was T-boned in her 2004 Buick Rainier and it was totaled. So we went a drove a few SUVs new and couple years old. Used Highlander which was sold but made me feel like my toes were sticking up behind the dash. 2019 Tahoe which I liked and she felt was to big. New Traverse that felt like a plastic pig that needed 6 kids jumping around in it, and not inspiring at all, and we did not need or want a third row seat.

Then we got in a 2015 Ford Edge Sport with the twin turbo 2.7L V6. Drove it a short distance turned and high fived each other. It was a Canadian import and showed rust on the brake rotor hubs, so we turned in down.

Back home I found a 2020 Edge ST with the twin turbo 2.7L V6 with 335HP and 380 ft lbs of torque that was deeply discounted as service loaner with 1500 miles on it. We brought that home the next day. It is a kick to drive with a tuned performance suspension. I am signed up for Ford's free ST Performance Drive Experience in Park City Utah June first. They buy you diner and one night in motel and the next day you do a road trip in one of their Edge ST's, then skid pad and finally do laps on a track. I think somewhere during the day they let you experience the vehicles collision avoidance feature.

So if you want a sporty SUV that does not cost 60K, see if you can find a close out 2020 which are discounted around 10K right now. 0-60 in 5.7 secs and 14.1 98+ mph in the 1/4 mile in a 4500 lb SUV with a suspension tuned to handle this kind for power and performance.

Check the price on this one:
https://www.roberthorneford.com/new-Apache+Junction-2020-Ford-Edge-ST-2FMPK4AP2LBB39007
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
blofgren wrote:
My wife and I were actually very close to pulling the trigger this week on a 2017 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2L and 8 speed auto, and I started to do some reading on them. The "shake" is actually a very common issue on the 8 speed auto and appears to be due to torque converter issues and in some cases due to improper fluid from the factory that costs in the neighbourhood of $600 to do a double flush to remove the fluid and then get the proper fluid into it. In any case, we have decided to pass on it (shame because it's a beautiful truck otherwise) and look for a 2018 and up with the 10 speed auto.

Uh oh! You’re gettin the itch to ditch that 01?

Man, I saw one, 03 Tahoe I believe, recently for sale with only like 77k miles. And the price was right. I thought hard about bombing down to Portland to pick it up. But it had already been for sale for a few days and not sold, and it was a used car dealer disguised as a private party. (Those guys are easy to spot. And there’s always a story to reinforce it if you didn’t pick up on it just from the pics and description).
So I passed.
Have looked at a few of those types of sales in the past and there’s always something hinky about the vehicle.

Yeah, we're thinking about it. The 2001 is super reliable, but DW is uneasy about it because of it's age and she has to manually downshift the transmission while towing the boat, which she doesn't like. It also has a lot of rust on the frame and body mounts so it might be best to move on from it. Too bad because I really like the truck. That said, another option would be to find a cherry 2000-2006 Yukon/Tahoe like the one you described and then upgrade her 2005 Acura MDX (which has been super solid) with a newer MDX.

One other option: one of my wife's friends is getting divorced and will be selling her 2018 Yukon Denali with 36k kms on it so we will be looking into it as well.

Who knows what will happen? :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
My wife and I were actually very close to pulling the trigger this week on a 2017 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2L and 8 speed auto, and I started to do some reading on them. The "shake" is actually a very common issue on the 8 speed auto and appears to be due to torque converter issues and in some cases due to improper fluid from the factory that costs in the neighbourhood of $600 to do a double flush to remove the fluid and then get the proper fluid into it. In any case, we have decided to pass on it (shame because it's a beautiful truck otherwise) and look for a 2018 and up with the 10 speed auto.

Uh oh! You’re gettin the itch to ditch that 01?

Man, I saw one, 03 Tahoe I believe, recently for sale with only like 77k miles. And the price was right. I thought hard about bombing down to Portland to pick it up. But it had already been for sale for a few days and not sold, and it was a used car dealer disguised as a private party. (Those guys are easy to spot. And there’s always a story to reinforce it if you didn’t pick up on it just from the pics and description).
So I passed.
Have looked at a few of those types of sales in the past and there’s always something hinky about the vehicle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
04 GM pick ups had 8 speed transmissions?

No idea. The Chevy Shake articles all cite 2015 to 2020 (on some vehicles). Caddy, Yukon, Silverado were mentioned. The transmissions noted were GM 8L90 and GM8L45. The thing is... not every vehicle had the problem! So...who knows. Maybe it's a combination of weird stuff. I do know that the gorgeous 2018 HighCountry Silverado WE test drove shook really bad. We couldn't wait to get out of it. When we got back to the dealership I told the service manager about it so he could get it checked out fast. It had just come in...so hadn't been thoroughly checked out yet.

My 2004 has it's own idiosyncrasies. It has multiple personalities. It's been on a repair binge for the last few years. Hence...it's a "restoration project". LOL! STILL getting a new vehicle though. Maybe a little competition will settle it down.

DH used to laugh at me for saying the truck had a mind of it's own and was listening. The day before the transmission went out I said "This thing is running like a champion!! Hope the trans doesn't go out." He said..."What were you thinking!!!" Heck...even our tech and auto friends have advised to keep quiet around it".

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
04 GM pick ups had 8 speed transmissions?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

We were close to pulling the trigger on a similar vehicle...and came to a screeching halt after the "shake" episode. And it was a beauty! Looking at buying a Traverse now. Just put a reman tranny in the 2004 truck. I keep joking with DH that we just need to change our perspective... we are "restoring" the 2004 to it's former glory rather than "OMG another $$$$ repair!!!".

Still... even with all the "restoration" we need a second more reliable vehicle.

I spoke to a mechanic about the "chevy shake" and he said that it does happen and it's a real !@#$%^ to deal with at times. He advised to buy new and walk away from the drama. Gotta love the long warranty!!

While I'm at it... I'd like to say that my local dealership is wonderful. They have taken great care of me... service manager, service advisor, tech and loaner/rental people have ALL been great. To have this kind of support is priceless!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
Just read a few articles about "Chevy Shake". Apparently two 8 speed transmissions and aluminum drive shafts have been ID'd in a class action as the issue. Test drove a really nice truck recently and that thing just about shook my teeth loose. So...googled "shaking chevy truck" and up came the class action and a number of articles.

Wondering if anyone here has had issues like this and what did you do about it? We still have our 2004 Silverado LT3 and have replaced nearly everything on it...getting a reman transmission at the moment. I joke with DH that maybe he should think of this as "restoration" project rather than OMG here comes another big $$$$ repair!

Thanks! And...DH sends his thanks as well. 🙂

Fifty years driving Chevys never had any shakes yet,
Trucks Camaros Monte carlos Trans ams.

If you have any vibration check for tires out of round,balance loose worn out ball joints suspension parts or bent driveshaft.

Make sure to use profesional mechanic.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
covetsthesun wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Shake shake shake, shake shake shake
Shake your Chevy, shake your Chevy
Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake
Shake your Chevy, shake your Chevy

LMAO!! :B:B

I have never heard of Chevy shake either until I read this.
Soooo, what is next? Ford Fumble? :B

I knew it!!! I leave for a few hours and you guys ran with it!

Have to say... I'm LMAO too!! Apparently though, there is a lawsuit so be careful who you shake your Chevy at LOL!

LMAO X3

Looks like GM considers the Chevy Shake as "Normal".

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"