Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy 4cyl Turbo

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy 4cyl turbo.

I hesitated to post this here because of the 1/2 ton is worthless 6700 lbs ain't nothing crowd here but for some people this may be all you need.

I bet this thing pulls better than my 2011 5.3l.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado
21 REPLIES 21

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected. It is the 3.5L ecoboost that has an internal water pump in the FWD cars, not the trucks.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
patperry2766 wrote:
I had a 2.7 Crew 4x4 loaner when my truck with a 5.0 was in for service one time. I was really suprised at the performance that the engine could muster. I had to pop the hood to see which engine was in the truck. I thought maybe a 5.0 or the 3.5. I felt it compared almost head up with the 5.0.

If I was needing to replace my current truck and didn't plan on needing more capacity in the future, I'd look long and hard at the 2.7.

However, I'd probably still end up going with the 5.0. The reason for me is that the 3.5 & 2.7 have an internal water pump housed behind the timing chain cover. If the water pump ever starts leaking, all the fluids will go into the oilpan leading to a potentially destroyed engine. Just like the 3.0 diesel that has a timing belt instead of a timing chain that has a 100K mile replacement, it's just something that I wouldn't want to take that risk.

To others, it might not be that big of a deal to them.

The 2.7 and 3.5 used in the F150's have external water pumps
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
jaycocamprs wrote:

Have a 18 SCREW company truck, 12k since new running 23.5-24 over that 12K miles. That compares to the 11 reg cab F150 with a 5.0 that it replaced got 19 MPG over the 40K I drove it. I run a lot of highway miles with no load.

How do you like the 2.7 compared to the 5.0 re: rpms, holding gears, general impressions?

Take it easy,
Stu

For what I use the truck for it's fine. Holds gears well, and gear spacing is very close. RPM stays pretty low, often don't notice the 10-9 down shift. Always seems to be in the right gear, none of the this gear is to low and the next to high. Runs about 1900 rpm @ 75 mph. Never towed with either truck, that's what the DuraMax is for. It does shift more than the 5.0/6 speed, but not badly. I would likely spring for the 5.0 if I was going to tow, the 2.7 does not hold back well at all. Lot's of go, just no whoa. And I don't like the engine stop start on the turbos either.

I find the 18 Ford cab harder to get into than the 11 ford or my 18 Chevy. My knee hits the light switch and the steering wheel doesn't go up enough, fine once in but...

For hauling me and my suitcase around it does good. The increased mileage of the 18 plus a bigger fuel tank than the 11 is good thing
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
I had a 2.7 Crew 4x4 loaner when my truck with a 5.0 was in for service one time. I was really suprised at the performance that the engine could muster. I had to pop the hood to see which engine was in the truck. I thought maybe a 5.0 or the 3.5. I felt it compared almost head up with the 5.0.

If I was needing to replace my current truck and didn't plan on needing more capacity in the future, I'd look long and hard at the 2.7.

However, I'd probably still end up going with the 5.0. The reason for me is that the 3.5 & 2.7 have an internal water pump housed behind the timing chain cover. If the water pump ever starts leaking, all the fluids will go into the oilpan leading to a potentially destroyed engine. Just like the 3.0 diesel that has a timing belt instead of a timing chain that has a 100K mile replacement, it's just something that I wouldn't want to take that risk.

I just had to replace the water pump on an 08 Duramax 160K on it. First significant repair of its life, but I found there was a weep hole in the pump that if the seal failed it would leak out instead of into the internals. Are you sure that Ford doesnt do that as well, I had no idea it was there on the Dmax either until the problem developed and it was explained to me.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Delete
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
Groover wrote:

My brother has a 2017 F150 2wd supercrew with the 2.7 turbo and he claims to get over 25 on the interstates at 70+ mph.

The Ford 2.7 seems to be one of the most overlooked engines in the market. I would like to see a showdown between the two 2.7 turbos, including price after current incentives.

Have a 18 SCREW company truck, 12k since new running 23.5-24 over that 12K miles. That compares to the 11 reg cab F150 with a 5.0 that it replaced got 19 MPG over the 40K I drove it. I run a lot of highway miles with no load.

How do you like the 2.7 compared to the 5.0 re: rpms, holding gears, general impressions?

Take it easy,
Stu

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

My brother has a 2017 F150 2wd supercrew with the 2.7 turbo and he claims to get over 25 on the interstates at 70+ mph.

The Ford 2.7 seems to be one of the most overlooked engines in the market. I would like to see a showdown between the two 2.7 turbos, including price after current incentives.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
A downhill towing report? Why?

To see how the truck handles the load on a downhill grade, how many brake applications, how well does tow/haul mode work, how well does the exhaust brake (if equipped) work, etc. Seems like pretty valid info.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A downhill towing report? Why?
Puma 30RKSS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
Some of our best camping was in a 2wd Ford with the 4.6 pulling a pop up. Expect this engine would do just fine for many folks.

Just for comparison

Chevy 2.7 I4 turbo - Al block
310 hp
348 ft lbs torque
EPA 20/19/22 - 4WD

Ford 2.7 v6 turbo - CGI block
325 hp
400 ft lbs torque
20/18/23 - 4WD

Take it easy,
Stu

The 2.7 Ford turbo is rated to pull 7,600lbs in the standard truck and up 9,000 with the max payload package.

Ford towing guide, third page

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
While I do find it interesting and it probably would out pull my 5.3 I'll stick with whats proven, and paid for.

TFL did manage to get 24 MPG on their test loop in this truck which isn't too bad. I wish they could test the trucks at 80 mph when not towing, thats where my speed is at when going up to KC to see Mom. I get around 16 at that speed in my present truck.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Some of our best camping was in a 2wd Ford with the 4.6 pulling a pop up. Expect this engine would do just fine for many folks.

Just for comparison

Chevy 2.7 I4 turbo - Al block
310 hp
348 ft lbs torque
EPA 20/19/22 - 4WD

Ford 2.7 v6 turbo - CGI block
325 hp
400 ft lbs torque
20/18/23 - 4WD

Take it easy,
Stu

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
If I paid for a eleventeen speed transmission I want it to do lots of shifting. 🙂

I don't know about that, it sounds pretty shifty to me.