Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevrolet exits all ICE production by 2035

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy exits ICE engines

Hopefully the other manufacturers won't follow suit.

Being from Texas and starting to thaw out from our latest freeze of the century, I don't see how our current power grid can support all the new EV planned for in the future, but I don't recall anything ever being addressed on this subject.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
164 REPLIES 164

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Regardless of what the unicorn fart sniffers hope or wish for, the most likely scenario is that ICEs and EVs will probably co-exist for a good long time together. Partly because of the much varied use of vehicles of all shapes and sizes. He!!, we can't even let go of fax machines. Had to transmit some documents to prominent business (an urgent care center) in backasswards Northern WI and HAD to FAX the docs!

Regardless, it's a natural progression and it may or may not prove to be the best solution in any or some scenarios.

What is interesting though, is the recent proliferation of both corporate and government self imposed "mandates" about ending ICE vehicles sales and production.
Methinks it's not coincidental that this has happened only since say, last month? Gotta dance with the one that brung ya! And you don't want to be p!ss!n off the one who can bail you out!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
At one time we were told the V8 engine would be out of production soon. Now they are back bigger than ever. Godzilla!
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Haven't seen a thread on this subject in a while....lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
If the vehicle, whatever vehicle it is, is the same cost, has the same performance, and the same longevity, why care about the propulsion. So far, available range and recharging time are putting people off.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the Post Office just signed a 10 year contract for new vehicles and apparently most of them will be ICE. I can't think of a more appropriate use for an electric vehicle than mail delivery. I don't know what the breakdown of the vehicles ordered is but this order really surprises me, especially under the new administration.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Just because they are out of ICE production doesn't mean they won't use them. They have used other peoples engines in the past.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Once you drive a Tesla you will understand where all this is going and why the ICE is obsolete.
Bingo.
wildtoad wrote:
I wonder how earthmovers, or other very large construction machines will be adapted to work on battery,
I don't know, but I don't think the subject is earthmovers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
EV's are not the issue
Fuel not consumed by ICE being utilized for electric generation is not the issue

TRANSMISSION of energy IS the MAIN Issue

That and NIMBY
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Fifteen years is a long time in the technology world. EV's will become more popular as time passes. The biggest problem I see is the lack of electric generation. With strict federal and state regulation it take years to permit and build new generating plants, regardless of how they are powered. Nuclear is a no brainer, but the greenies will fight them to the death. It's easy to say "no more IC engines", but more electric generation is going to be needed.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
If they don’t have battery that will last any longer and charge in 10-20 minutes the highways are going to be one big cluster.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder how earthmovers, or other very large construction machines will be adapted to work on battery, how many hours will the operate and just as important how long will it take to recharge them, especially out in the middle of Nebraska. EVs are the future for personal transportation, but the need for ICE’s is here for a long time.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You guys are focusing on the wrong thing. This is not about AOC or the new green deal. Tesla has shown that EV's are for real and that the ICE is obsolete.
EV's have left the drawing board and are in full production as we speak.
The idea that we can't produce enough electric is silly.
When the model T was originally made did we say this would never work because there were no gas stations?
We have made it from the stage coach to jumbo jets the infrastructure will come.
Going from gas stations to charging stations is not an impossible task.
If you want to believe EV's are for real. Drive a Tesla.
Driving a Tesla for the first time is a game changing experience.
Once you drive a Tesla you will understand where all this is going and why the ICE is obsolete.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
I don't see how our current power grid can support all the new EV planned for in the future, but I don't recall anything ever being addressed on this subject.

Future power generation for EV's will be accomplished by converting Unicorn Farts into electricity by reverse osmosis and wishful thinking. That and some help from this knucklehead.

BINGO!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
I don't see how our current power grid can support all the new EV planned for in the future, but I don't recall anything ever being addressed on this subject.

Future power generation for EV's will be accomplished by converting Unicorn Farts into electricity by reverse osmosis and wishful thinking. That and some help from this knucklehead.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where people think more than half the electicity comes from? Whatever fuel isn't used for ICE will be used to make electicity.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!