cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chev Silverado Class 4/5 New Offering?

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
I see in Mello Mike's latest Truck Camper Adventures edition that it sounds like Chev may be coming back into the cl 4/5 market. If the offering provides a p/u body, we'll have another choice in the heavy hauler department ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172
9 REPLIES 9

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, but the "bigger crowd" isn't going to be very big.

Somebody has decided it's enough. It will be interesting to see how many trim levels are offered. It's the loaded SLT (or whatever acronym is used) cab and chassis that could be the unicorn.
Having to navigate some issues with my truck, it's finding a dealership set up for service. I have to drive about 25 miles if needed.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Bedlam
I've been call statistical anomaly before - I could be called worse.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, but the "bigger crowd" isn't going to be very big. Most TCers are concentrating on how to AVOID driving a DRW and still carry their massive campers, not looking toward an MDT.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the cab and chassis models will still draw the bigger crowd giving the buyer a few options to bed design and storage. When I was looking for 5500s, an occasional Ram 5500 pickup would show up, fully loaded and pushing $75K with the same amount of storage of a traditional pick-up. Pretty looking but probably not for the truck camper crowd.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Bedlam
I have no brand blinders on when shopping for a vehicle. GM missed out on a potential sale by not having a truck in this segment when I was buying. We did pick up a little Chevy for around town driving and it is even small enough to stick in my trailer with some other toys.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
That's a pretty beast, you had built, Bedlam!!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Bedlam
I'm sure GM will do better at marketing them than Ram. Many people have to do a double take on my truck when they see the 5500 badging and have no clue that something like this is even offered by Ram. Right now Ford has the chassis cab market mostly to itself (despite what Ram fan boys may post).

I wonder if pickup bed versions of the GM 4500 will have an artificially low GVWR like Ford to keep it in the Class 3 segment?

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Bout time, I would think. Then again, I certainly have no idea on the demand side. Just nice to think about... Ford and Ram seem to feel there is a viable market.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were told (about two years ago) by a GMC commercial truck salesperson that this was going to happen. He indicated that there would be models offered with pickup beds.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015