cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your Tires! Often!

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
in the middle of 5000km trip, I was backing into a campsite, dw as my spotter.
she notices a bump on one of our trailer tires. broken belt and peeling tread was what we found, on two tires
I always run my hand over each tire at fuel stops, so tire damage was very recent(300 km maybe)
we didn't feel a thing in the truck but one tire had a huge bulge, the other one the tread was just starting to peel.
4 new tires later, we're back on the road

moral of the story, CHECK your tires, often!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
12 REPLIES 12

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I Always try and do a walk around at every fuel stop and when setting up the trailer after driving. Found a slipped belt because I do that. Just a quick minute can save you the aggravation of changing a tire on the side of the highway and the possibility of excessive damage to the trailer.

A serious 'Walk Around' before you leave home, again at fuel stops.
Again when you arrive at your camp site, Again when you leave to come home.
(Beats waiting for road service)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I replace trailer tires every 5 years and luckily have never had a flat or tire issue in 25 yrs.....inflate to max psi also.

The new set of ST's I bought are clearly stamped Made in USA.
At least I have a fighting chance now!!
Told the tire shop to throw the Made in China junk in the garbage where they belong....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Do you check your truck's tires as often as your trailer tires? Trailer tires, as most of us know, are garbage. In my case I don't use trailer tires on my trailer. instead, I use Michelin XPS RIBs, which are truck tires and, specifically, not made in CHINA. In five years there have been no tire issues on my trailer.
This^^^^^

I started using Michelin XPS RIBS in 2006.
Now, 13 years later and well over 100,000 miles, I have ZERO tire issues to report. I no longer give my tires a second thought.
I use my time at fuel stops using the restroom and grabbing a snack.

If you still use STs... Better check them after going around the block. It is part of an ST tire owners responsibility.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Morning of travel day I check/adjust trailer AND truck tires

2 hours later....first rest stop/potty break I visually check all of them again AND take temp readings on trailer/truck tires (between the threads), take temp readings on trailer hubs and truck discs using an Infrared Gun

Then after setting up at destination I again do a visual again

Repeat next travel day
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Do you check your truck's tires as often as your trailer tires? Trailer tires, as most of us know, are garbage. In my case I don't use trailer tires on my trailer. instead, I use Michelin XPS RIBs, which are truck tires and, specifically, not made in CHINA. In five years there have been no tire issues on my trailer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good advice! Glad you found it before it exploded in the middle of the road and caused damage and worse trouble!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Steve, I sure hear ya on that one!!

Just before a 3 week trip I was under my TT adjusting the brakes when I noticed, on the inside, severe cracking and the tread scuffed off in a place I couldn't see it from the outside.

Same as you, off they come, 4 new tires!

There is a certain peace of mind rolling down the highway at 60MPH, pulling 34 feet of trailer behind you, knowing the tires are in perfect condition!

But I still check them every stop, and in the mirrors as I drive. Going to get a TPMS as soon as I can too.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Always do! Check the truck tires all the time too.

Had a leaky tire, drivers side-front, on the truck. When I had an oil change done, I even had "them" check the tire, it was such an unpredictable leak. One day is with at 80 psi, the next it would be down to 40. Then it would stay at 80 for a week, and then drop over night again. They couldn't find anything wrong with the tire.

I finally took it back and said, there is definitely something going on. Check the valve stem too! They did... it was the valve stem. They replaced it $12.50.

So, while checking your tires, don't forget the valve stem also. If a tire starts dropping in pressure, splash some soapy water on the valve stem, watch for bubbles.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The brand and age of the failing tires might help others.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I Always try and do a walk around at every fuel stop and when setting up the trailer after driving. Found a slipped belt because I do that. Just a quick minute can save you the aggravation of changing a tire on the side of the highway and the possibility of excessive damage to the trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone not hear "Check your tires" in Mario andretti's voice?