cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check trailer wiring message 2014 Silverado

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a 2014 Silverado with factory ITBC brake controller built in. While towing my camper this weekend, I would randomly get a message on the dash that said "Check trailer wiring ". A couple seconds later it would say "Trailer connected ". During those couple seconds, I indeed had no brakes on camper. I unplugged the trailer and then firmly plugged it back in, but same thing kept happening. Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Had this happen to me. Bit unnerving to be without trailer brakes. Unplugging and plugging back in did nothing. Turning the truck off and on fixed it for a time. When I got home it went into the dealer. Apparently there is a TSB for this. Not sure if it was a grounding issue or a software issue, but the warranty repair fixed it.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happened a couple of times with my 2011 GMC truck, just removed and reinserted plug a couple of times, making sure it was all the way in. Sprayed some WD40 on it at home.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
Mine did that until I changed the trailer plug to the GM recommended Pollack brand plug. It fits much tighter. Never did it again.

Ditto.

That's the most common issue is a loose fitting plug on the trailer side.

I switched to Pollak too, problem solved. I fought and screwed with the problem for two years, and was having a casual conversation with someone about it and they mentioned the Pollak brand plug, so I installed it.
DONE.

That was at least 4 years ago.
Bob

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
My livestock trailer caused that type of message awhile back. The eletrical contacts inside the trailer plug had flattened out from use.Bent them back out with a screwdriver.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 Silverado is doing the same thing. It is very random. I can go for an hour and it won't give me the warning, then it will do it 2 or 3 times the next hour. I have done some Google searches and all seem to lead me to replacing the plug on the camper with the GM recommended plug. My 2015 Sportsman TT did not cause this problem with my truck, but, my new Passport TT has caused this warning since the day I got it. I had the trailer checked out and they found no shorts in brakes or anywhere. Leads me to believe that I should indeed change the trailer plug. I am going to do that soon, because the warning gets annoying on longer trips!
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Similar problem on my rig. A new connector on the trailer side of the connection fixed the problem. Never saw the trailer disconnected message again.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my 2014silverado problem with the computer along with other issues. got rid of the truck! :B

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem. I discovered an intermittent short in the trailer brake wiring.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem with my 5er when towing it with my RAM. I tried everything under the sun, and replacing the plug on the trailer solved the problem.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did that until I changed the trailer plug to the GM recommended Pollack brand plug. It fits much tighter. Never did it again.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many GMs have another connector to the back of the receptacle. Check to make sure it is plugged in tight and the retainers are in place.
Check trailer connector for loose connections. Hard to do on molded style connector.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Bad ground, loose wire, bad plug.