cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging camper batteries with generator?

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
How do you all hook up the generator to charge camper batteries? Hook generator directly to batteries with the battery cables or just plug the shore power cord into the generator? Speaking to a Northern Lite camper and a Honda generator.
Thanks
John
22 REPLIES 22

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
We put on 240 watts of solar and donโ€™t use the generator much anymore. Itโ€™s much easier than messing around with the generator anyway.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
fitznj wrote:
Plug the shore power cord into the generator; Turn generator on.... done

Ditto.

This is how I do it.

That's a good recipe to fry electronics you might have in the camper.
Starting generator creates voltage spikes, that is why designated transfer switches have time delay to let generator stabilize the current before the relay gets turned on.
I would start the generator and on give it at least 30 seconds in warm weather before plugging in TC cord.
Or flip the main breaker in TC off, go start the generator, come back and by then it should be safe to turn the power on.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRJR wrote:
The camper is a 2017 Northern Lite.

It has to have some sort of converter in it to provide 12V and charge the batteries while on shore power. Being a 2017 it should have a far and away more advanced converter than my 2000 Palomino model, and my old converter does a fine job at keeping the batteries topped off.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
plug camper into generator and let RV charger do the job.
If Camper has a Progressive dynamics some models have a connector where you can plugin a dongle to manually change charger modes. by putting it in bulk mode you can force it to charger even faster.

the on board charger will bring the battery back into the upper 80% lower 90% charge pretty quick, but from that point it takes a lot more time to complete charge, so as others have said, don't try to charge it back to 100%, find that point where it charges up to quick and see if that is enough.

Than let solar finish the job ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
fitznj wrote:

Ditto.

This is how I do it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
JRJR wrote:

The converter charger is multistage.

Simply start generator and then plug shore power cord into it.

Done.

- Mark0.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
2017 can have very advanced charger, but manufacturers often put old, discounted part on the production lane as buyers routinely don't do their homework and will buy something that shines, not something with advanced technology.
So check the manual, or email manufacturer what converter you have.
For last decade advanced converter are hook up parallel with battery, what makes other choices difficult to use. If you want to use other charger, you should flip the breaker on converter, but that brings hassle to the operation.
Than read what is the converter output and continuity rating.
My older converter is rated at 40 amp, but some kind of "smart" system splits the 40 amp between battery charging and camper operations.
Meaning I have no idea what that "stupid" thing does.
Either way you should have calibrated voltmeter hook up in your TC to monitor those things and reality can be full of surprizes.

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
I can't think of any reason to use the "12v output" from a generator. It's very low amperage, not regulated, and not very well filtered. It's put there as a marketing gimmick. Don't bother using it.
Use only if the 120v charging system is dead.
Just a temporary patch until a fix or portable charge can be acquired.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRJR wrote:
How do you all hook up the generator to charge camper batteries? Hook generator directly to batteries with the battery cables or just plug the shore power cord into the generator? Speaking to a Northern Lite camper and a Honda generator.
Thanks
John

What is the age of the camper? Older campers had horrible charges. Newer ones are a lot better and will charge faster.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of any reason to use the "12v output" from a generator. It's very low amperage, not regulated, and not very well filtered. It's put there as a marketing gimmick. Don't bother using it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
An air cooled engine, such as the Honda engine used on the Honda generator, reaches operating temperature in 90 seconds.
Then I suggest running it for 90 seconds.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I found my factory charger in Fleetwood a lousy one.
The 2001 model is not smart, so it delivers voltage that will boil the batteries dry in long storage, but it goes into overheat very fast.
When I had discharged batteries, even in only 85F the charger would run for a minute, than overheat would kill it for several minutes and than another minute of charging. So after 2 hr of generator run my batteries were still low.
For such incidents I am carrying smart charger with 25 amp continuous charge.
The 12V charging circuits some generators have supposebly delivers "dirty" power, so I would not use it. Worth checking with manufacturer as technology changes and hopefully new generators have it improved.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
fitznj wrote:
I think it's better to run the generator first for a bit, then plug in. Or better yet, plug in and then have a way to switch on the converter.

Don't really want to have a cold generator start up with a load on it, and charging can be a big load.

An air cooled engine, such as the Honda engine used on the Honda generator, reaches operating temperature in 90 seconds.