cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caulk used at factory

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody know what type of caulk is typically used from the Northwood factory to seal window and vertical seams on an Arctic Fox of 2014 vintage? Just wondering how meticulous I need to be in removing existing caulk before recaulking.
Thanks,
Dave
5 REPLIES 5

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the Geocell 2300 sealant. I got it from Amazon. From what I can see it real close to the same properties of the MHRV.......Matter of fact the one that seems un-avaible to us is the 2300-MHRV..........
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Whangler wrote:
Anybody know what type of caulk is typically used from the Northwood factory

Geocel MHRV is what the factory uses, but it seems as though it's only available to RV manufacturers. Proflex RV is what consumers use.

Here's a good video on the topic: How To SEAL YOUR Arctic Fox | ROOF and SIDES
Bob

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow go figure...LOL...added a little more info...hope this helps. Find my Sticky on repairing the door window seals, swaping windows and making my own dual panes...

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
KKELLER14K wrote:
From my expierence...They use a typical butal tape underneath the flanges, usually about 3/4"wide. Then they seal the outside of the flange with Geocell clear to keep the butal from oozing out of the flange. I will tell you getting Geocell off of the flat surface is extreamly dificult. This stuff bonds beyond belive but over time you will see some seperation from the flange where the Geocell is thin. Are you worried about leaks?.. not likely IMHO but use a heavy duty plastic scraping tool, usually the blue kind and mineral spirits...be prepaired for a lot of work.

Thanks for the info. There's a few spots on the seam between the fg body and the skirt where the caulk has cracked.I was hoping I could get away with cleaning the surfaces real well and caulking over existing caulk.
Oh btw, I grew up in Beaverton, went to BHS back in the 70's.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my expierence...They use a typical butal tape underneath the flanges, usually about 3/4"wide. Then they seal the outside of the flange with Geocell clear to keep the butal from oozing out of the flange. I will tell you getting Geocell off of the flat surface is extreamly dificult. This stuff bonds beyond belive but over time you will see some seperation from the flange where the Geocell is thin. Are you worried about leaks?.. not likely IMHO but use a heavy duty plastic scraping tool, usually the blue kind and mineral spirits...be prepaired for a lot of work. Not way off topic but there is a good STICKY over on the Truck camper forum. At the top of the page you will see the stick topics..Look for this:...good topics on what your looking for.
Truck Camper University-Projects/Repairs/Replacements & Tips