cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Castle Rock

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

My new TT came with Castle Rock brand of tires. Some reviews say they are great with no problems others say beware. Guess very few manufacturers put Goodyears on at the factory.

8 REPLIES 8

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III

If I bought a new coach and it came with Chinese tires, I think I'd try and get a few miles out of them, but not without watching them very very closely.  I'd have a TPMS installed and keep a close eye on the tire pressure and your speed going down the interstate.........and I'd be watching the outdoor temps that you're towing in.   A 105 degree day heading down Hiway 40 at 65-70 mph could unwind one of those tires............so I guess I'm saying, I'd want to get my moneys worth out of them, but I'd be on pins and needles the whole time. 

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III

Interesting article about Castle Rock.  

https://thecampingadvisor.com/how-good-are-castle-rock-trailer-tires/ 

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III

We pulled our 3500 pound trailer with the original Castle Rock tires for 14,000 miles.  We have a TPMS on the TT and truck.  I will not pull my TT without one.  I replaced the Castle Rocks with Goodyear Endurance because nu utility trailers have had them on for a long time without any problems.

Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

Above is all good advice. Some manufacturers do offer Goodyear tires, Keystone for one, and some also offer tpms systems. Add to the sooner rather than later replacement of the tires the need for a monitoring system so you will know what is going on with the tires now instead of what they were. A good monitoring system will save many thousands in repairs and that tire that got a screw in it may also be saved. Truck System Technology (TST) would be my choice.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

What you will find is there are blow outs from every brand. Not surprising if 90% of new tires are the base brands, 90% of the complaints are also.

It may also be a bit skewed as people overload and/or run underinflated when they first get an RV. Then after a blowout, they compensate by watching the weight and properly inflating the tires...but they chalk it up to the replacement brand.

Always have bought the off brands as did my Dad. In over 50yrs of pulling trailers, had one blow out but that was a failed leaf spring where the broken end swung out and ate the side of the tire.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xfdNfMrV1E

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad

I have two sets of Goodyear Endurance tires.  For a given tire size, they have a higher load rating than other ST tires.
They also have a higher speed rating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5QTqLn5mL0

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III

Replace them sooner than later. Always check air pressure prior to leaving anywhere. Do a visual inspection of the tread. Look for strange bulges in the tires.  Always include your spare in your checks.

I did all the above. The first tire to go was the spare, i had grown a large bulge. Had it replaced. Went on trip, 1st tire blew out 15 minutes from my destination on a very busy I-26 in Charleston, SC. This blow out caused over $4k in damage and took almost 9 months to get everything fixed. 2nd tire blew 15 minutes from getting home on the same trip as the 1st blow out. Occurred on a very bust I-77 in Columbia, SC. Luckily, this one did not damage. 

Lost 3 Castle Rocks in a 2 week period. I did everything you are supposed to do in regards to caring for my tires and do not overload my TT. 

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf