Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a Honda 2000i inside generator compartment

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-SP60-041-Sliding-Battery-Tray/dp/B007HRQBRU

Thinking about using this tray to put our Honda on. It would make it so that I could pull out the tray, plug in the genny and go. It is a bear for me to carry from backseat to ground (physical disabilities and female upper body combined). Thoughts? Rated for 250#.

Was thinking I would put a thin rubber pad on bottom to absorb noise and keep genny from “walking” in the tray. It would pull out from generator compartment and exhaust away from camper, because of orientation in tray. Would need to take care mounting solidly because stress would be on mounts. Anything else I am missing?

Oh, mounting in Bigfoot 2500 10.6
11 REPLIES 11

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The generator situation is something the camper makers have always failed miserably at.
My Northern Lite came with a compartment that fits two Honda EU2000s. That’s great.
But you can’t run them!! Still have to take them out and set them on the ground.

I gotta look into a slide-out tray.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. Don't want front hitch mount because we use ferries and added length equals added cost. The gen compartment is prepped for an Onan. We need propane for heat (Alaska) so don't want it used for penny.

Looks like I am not the only one who had this thought. It's a go!

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
This is the set up I think you are looking at including security cable. The Citation TC before this one had no solar and like you, only place to store genny was on the floor behind driver. Big pain to move. In this Outfitter,we used the genny maybe only 3 times in 5 years because we ended up adding 330W solar plus 4 AGM 6V batteries under the dinette and we dry camped most of the time.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like a good idea, probably. It's designed to carry generators, but I'd make sure it's designed to "run" generators on. I'd ask the question to moryde. If it won't vibrate apart if used in this manner
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for front hitch mount.
I have my Honda 3000 on front and it works like a charm, not to mention helps quite a bit with shifting the weight on front axle.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
My new Northstar came with a compartment for a Honda Generator with that same slide-out tray. It also has a plug in the compartment and propane plumbed to the compartment if I wanted to convert the generator to propane.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
My Australian built Jayco class C has a small generator compartment just big enough for a Honda 2kva or similar, it has an inbuilt sliding tray that the genny sits on. To use it I slide the genny tray out and plug a short lead into my mains input and it works great (with the tray slide out of course). Just what you were thinking of doing.

Just make sure that you ventilate the compartment so that any fumes can disperse when the door is closed.

To secure the genny when traveling I have it tied to the slide out tray with a strap.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a generator compartment, why are you storing the generator on the back seat of your truck? Is your compartment already wired for a generator? Mine is. It also has two doors which allow the generator to run while in the compartment.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Seems like a great idea. Personally, I would prefer it in the gen compartment and out of view when not being used.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you considered a lockable front hitch mount? I would.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“and exhaust away from camper,“ Depending on the wind or even a light breeze.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad