cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car and Driver pickup pull

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t follow here too much. Has the Car and Drive pull been post here yet.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
12 REPLIES 12

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad to see the lack of dead pedal in the new GM trucks even in 4 lo. Running my '18 on that test would not have looked near as good as the 20 did. Pulling heavy trailers in 4 lo happens in many real world applications. Maybe not in most RV applications, but certainly in moving equipment on jobsites. I am not saying that buying based on this alone is appropriate, but knowing that you have access to the full power that the truck is capable of can be important.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
QCMan wrote:
Another "test" with no connection to real world trailer towing. Wonderful if you want to consider your truck a tractor but otherwise just a testosterone show.

"And get off my lawn you whippersnappers!!" LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another "test" with no connection to real world trailer towing. Wonderful if you want to consider your truck a tractor but otherwise just a testosterone show.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rjstractor wrote:
BenK wrote:
There is a trick...turn your shank so that the ball is raised higher than the other in a butt to butt pulling contest.

Yours will unweighted theirs and they will add weight to yours.

Also, DO NOT or STOP of your vehicle starts to bounce...if not, breakage of drive train parts

Did you see the article? No mention of any kind of tug of war. They were pulling a tractor pull sled.

Same effect. If there is some downward pull, it will increase the rear axle weight allowing the truck to develop more traction.

If you've ever been to a tractor pull, you will see the front wheels come off the ground...why, they've done this exact thing. When the front wheels come off the ground, the entire weight of the tractor plus part of the sled is on the rear tractor axle maximizing traction.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:
The heaviest truck pulled the sled the farthest .... who knew!

In dirt tread is going to make a lot of difference and a strong start is important as it allows you to build momentum. I agree with the testers that whatever electronic nannies led the Ford to a weak start hurt their performance.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
noteven wrote:

Only 150 lbs between the lightest and heaviest truck, it's doubtful that's enough to make an appreciable difference in an 8000+ lb truck.
A few sand bags in the rear could have made them equal.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
noteven wrote:

Only 150 lbs between the lightest and heaviest truck, it's doubtful that's enough to make an appreciable difference in an 8000+ lb truck.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
BenK wrote:
There is a trick...turn your shank so that the ball is raised higher than the other in a butt to butt pulling contest.

Also, DO NOT or STOP of your vehicle starts to bounce...if not, breakage of drive train parts

Did you see the article? No mention of any kind of tug of war. They were pulling a tractor pull sled.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
Donโ€™t follow here too much. Has the Car and Drive pull been post here yet.

And the winner is? Whomever paid the most money to Car and Driver. LOL.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Weight over the rear axle, tires and transmission/rear axle ratio are the most important things in a sled pull.