cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you camp at Wal-Marts....

monakayk
Explorer
Explorer
:@Can you camp at Wal-Marts in a Hybrid trailer? We are thinking of buying one so we can travel across the US and will certainly need to do a few 'one nighters'. Just wondered if those type of trailers are allowed. Also can you fold out one of the beds? Not sure what the rules are for this type of camper.

Thanks in advance
HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

Our Ford Explorer & Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid Travel Trailer and Camping Photos--CLICK HERE!
27 REPLIES 27

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
camp4ever wrote:
I heard Florida Walmarts don't allow it..

We've slept overnight at a few different Wal-Marts around Jacksonville with no issues; of course we didn't ask, just parked near other RVs and thus assumed it was ok. We never open up the beds and really just sleep for a few hours, most was 6 I think.
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at some Walmart's where it really feels like a campground there are so many other people stopping for the night. I actually like that the best. Gives me the best nights sleep. Sometimes We are the only one there and I don't feel as secure. So I don't sleep as well. Now of course whether or not your any safer with other campers around I have no idea. But I will say I have never been bothered by anybody when over nighting at a Walmart.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I have "overnighted"(not camped) at Walmart numerous times without problems. I would stay one night on my way to somewhere. I have never seen a tent or a trailer with the canvas slideout beds.
I would say. Whatever your in, make it as unobtrusive as possible.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

cacutlers
Explorer
Explorer
We have opened up one tent end the front one. It can be opened without unhitching. Was a bit noisy and scary but free. Made French toast the next morning and used the shower. 3 kids on dinette and couch. 2 adults in tent end.
2002 Wanderer 192sd
2003 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Hemi

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped at Walmart once or twice when nothing else was readily available. I made the table into a bed and we slept there. I did not open up the wings.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

camp4ever
Explorer
Explorer
I heard Florida Walmarts don't allow it..
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2004 Ford Explorer w/ Towing Package
2014 Passport 2300 BH

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to chime in and say to be sure to ask if considering overnighting at a Cracker Barrel - not all of them allow it - we've been told "no."

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best place we stayed at on one trip was a BASS PRO SHOP parking lot (Central ALABAMA North of Montgomery I think it was). If you have ever been to one you would be aware of their OUTDOOR SCENE setups every place they can do it.

The area where they allowed over-night parking for campers was setup the same. This place even had a 20AMP service receptacle. Each area was separated with high shrubs.. Actually better than some camp grounds we have been too hehe...

We ate a big breakfast inside the next morning and bought a few things as well.

I would never plan on staying more than one night. This allows others to use the parking area on their transit journey.

We too always ask for permission first to camp.

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Cotay
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:
Be sure to download the list of "no park Walmarts" and save yourself the hassle of getting turned away at one.

I've Googled this list and find that it is inaccurate. It is best to call ahead. Some that I've seen reported as "no park Walmarts" regularly have RVs and TTs parked in them.

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
Our walmart put out no truck parking signs about a year ago. I catch my van pool there and there are at least 10 or more trucks each night. i seen quite a few travel trailers and class A's also.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same Jayco 23b as you--only older. No problems with sleeping overnight turtled. And that's with 4 kids! ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you should be comfy. Nice rig enjoy your trip!!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

monakayk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone,

For all the info, links and suggestions. We are looking forward to our month long road trip (which includes a 11 days cruise out of FL) this fall. We will be visiting family and friends along the way. I can't wait...we are finally retired and ready to....get out: "On The Road Again" and enjoy this beautiful country while camping!:B

Below is our Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid we just bought:

HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

Our Ford Explorer & Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid Travel Trailer and Camping Photos--CLICK HERE!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Catskills, NY boondock/turtled

We were up at a friends off the grid cabin for a suprise 40th. 3 tents, one cabin, one hybrid, polaris ranger 800, and polaris razor 170.

We got up there late on Saturday and could not get back to the cabin. It was back a 1/2 mile access driveway, and the tents were blocking our truck access. The kids were at grammies, and my wife and I slept on the bunkbeds.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt