cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you back out once you place a deposit ....guidance?

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
We have been searching for an upgrade, and found 2 dealers one local and one who was not, they were close in price and I didn't have to drive my trade to another state, we got an emailed price, I accepted it and put a deposit down,and they have started the title process, now the out of state dealer sent me a price lower by 4000 dollars. AM I legally binded to the local dealers or can I back out, and go with the out of state dealer?
43 REPLIES 43

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
They haven't started any title process, if they won't refund your payment just dispute the CC charge.

For them to dispute the CC charge-was there fraud? OR-something else dishonest? That's usually the items the banks wants to see before they dispute a charge.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Just remember though, RV dealerships aren't like car dealerships. Your local RV dealer has no obligation to service a trailer that was purchased elsewhere, even if they sell the same brand. Most dealerships seem to be loyal to their customers and would make someone else wait for warranty work. Just a thought.
Car dealers have a similar policy. But I have NEVER heard of it being enforced.

Only in the RV world do people seem to fear it.

I don't put much stock in it.
TTs are MOBILE! When service is really needed, you are likely to be far from home.
In this situation, I have never had a problem getting first class service.
BUT...... If needed I can get to the head of the line by using some of the savings on my purchase price to get fast service.

I once had a problem with an awning. The company said they had a 2 month backlog.
I needed it done in a few days. I offered to pay more to get it done while I waited.
For an extra 20.00, it was done in a couple of hours! That was a bargain in my book.

Money ALWAYS talks. Keep the money now, and worry about service you may never need, if that day comes.

I didn't know $20.00 had that kind of power. Did this happen in 1962?

No, LOL.
2003 or 2004.

I would have paid more, and was surprised that they moved me up the line so cheaply. They started on it immeadiatly while I watched.
I figure it was a bargain @ 10.00 a month.

I think that is when it really sunk in to me of the power money has when you want something done.
The one with the money has the power over the one that wants the money. Once the money changes hands, that power is gone.

So IMO, it is unwise to pay a dealer more, in the hope that he will take care of you later. Later may never come. Or the dealer may change hands, go bankrupt etc.

Keep as much of your money as long as possible. Then you will have it when you really need to get something done.

Money talks. It always has and always will.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Just remember though, RV dealerships aren't like car dealerships. Your local RV dealer has no obligation to service a trailer that was purchased elsewhere, even if they sell the same brand. Most dealerships seem to be loyal to their customers and would make someone else wait for warranty work. Just a thought.
Car dealers have a similar policy. But I have NEVER heard of it being enforced.

Only in the RV world do people seem to fear it.

I don't put much stock in it.
TTs are MOBILE! When service is really needed, you are likely to be far from home.
In this situation, I have never had a problem getting first class service.
BUT...... If needed I can get to the head of the line by using some of the savings on my purchase price to get fast service.

I once had a problem with an awning. The company said they had a 2 month backlog.
I needed it done in a few days. I offered to pay more to get it done while I waited.
For an extra 20.00, it was done in a couple of hours! That was a bargain in my book.

Money ALWAYS talks. Keep the money now, and worry about service you may never need, if that day comes.

I didn't know $20.00 had that kind of power. Did this happen in 1962?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I am familiar with Leo's. They will not gladly provide warranty service for units they did not sell. They can barely keep up with units they did sell.

I didn't buy from Leo's but we have some camping friends that have... they HATE Leo's and will never purchase from them again. I'm not sure of the exact reasons, cause I usually tune out when the complaining starts.

I agree with what others said though... if you are set on trading in (Maryland is a state that allows tax offset on trades) rather than selling outright on your own, you are better off purchasing local. The price delta drops considerably not having to tow out to Ohio and be at the mercy of that single dealer. Try to work a better price based upon your quote.

Unless you are dead set on that particular trailer, I would strongly encourage you to take a trip to Keystone Mega RV. They are very laid back, especially this time of year.

Let them know the size, features and amenities you want. My salesman (whose name escapes me right now...) was very familiar with his product and was able to guide me straight to RV's that matched our wants. I was very pleased with my purchase and the price.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Correct on the $3500 question. You need to also figure in cost to go to Ohio vs. local pick up.
On the back side consider cost of having a local dealer vs. having a Ohio dealer.
Leo's will not perform warranty work on units they did not sell.
As I mentioned Leo's can barely keep up with units they did sell!
That has NOT been my experience.

I have had them go out of their way for me... and that was without any incentive money.

The one time I had an issue with getting taken care of immeadiatly.... A 20.00 bill solved the problem. I went from a 2 month backlog to being on my way all fixed up in 2 hours.

Selling dealers like to say all kinds of things to influence you to by from them. That doesn't make it true.

What is a fact is that they live for the dollar today!!

When two customers are needing service at about the same time... The most profitable one will be taken care of first. WHY? Simple. The customer willing to pay more, can go anywhere he wants. The one beholden to his selling dealer is committed to that dealer.

Of course "good" dealers would never do such a thing.;)
LOL. A good dealer will take the extra money, and keep quiet about it.:B

He has to. He cannot let that money walk away. The other customer he sold to with a promise of service has already paid him and will be there anytime because of his financial investment to him.

I am familiar with Leo's. They will not gladly provide warranty service for units they did not sell. They can barely keep up with units they did sell.
Maybe you could have the manufacturer force them to do the work but who wants to go through that each time?
If you are a DIY kind of guy warranty is less of an issue but If you rely on dealer service regularly it is an important factor.
Making a large purchase decision on price alone is usually a bad move if there is after the sale considerations involved.
Having a good/decent relationship with the local dealer is always beneficial. Travel time for service should be considered as well.
TTaking your rig in for service to a local guy is a hassle. taking it hours a way is a humongous hassle!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I actually think it's even less than a $3500 question.

OP getting more for his trade from the local guy. So, delta on the trade has to be factored as well.

If he gets 2K less for his trade from the RVWholesale guy, then he's really down to $1500 or so, not counting the cost to round trip to pick it up.

Wouldn't be worth it in my book.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Correct on the $3500 question. You need to also figure in cost to go to Ohio vs. local pick up.
On the back side consider cost of having a local dealer vs. having a Ohio dealer.
That has NOT been my experience.

I have had them go out of their way for me... and that was without any incentive money.

The one time I had an issue with getting taken care of immeadiatly.... A 20.00 bill solved the problem. I went from a 2 month backlog to being on my way all fixed up in 2 hours.

Selling dealers like to say all kinds of things to influence you to by from them. That doesn't make it true.

What is a fact is that they live for the dollar today!!

When two customers are needing service at about the same time... The most profitable one will be taken care of first. WHY? Simple. The customer willing to pay more, can go anywhere he wants. The one beholden to his selling dealer is committed to that dealer.

Of course "good" dealers would never do such a thing.;)
LOL. A good dealer will take the extra money, and keep quiet about it.:B

He has to. He cannot let that money walk away. The other customer he sold to with a promise of service has already paid him and will be there anytime because of his financial investment to him.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
frisbeekev wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'd still like to know HOW MUCH WAS THE DEPOSIT?

I see a big difference between a deal for a unit on the lot already and one that has to be special ordered, etc. for one on the lot I would deposit about $100. on a special order that is not the usual lot run I would expect the dealer to demand a larger deposit.
bumpy

The deposit was 500 dollars. They just got it on the lot.

That makes the solution easy. Tell the Ohio dealer to take another 500.00 off and you got a deal!
That probably won't happen.

What the OP really has is not a 500.00 question, or a 4000.00 question, but a 3500.00 question.

Is it worth 3500.00 in savings to take the better offer out of state?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
frisbeekev wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

I see a big difference between a deal for a unit on the lot already and one that has to be special ordered, etc. for one on the lot I would deposit about $100. on a special order that is not the usual lot run I would expect the dealer to demand a larger deposit.
bumpy

That makes the solution easy. Tell the Ohio dealer to take another 500.00 off and you got a deal!
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far, I think the best response was to ask what you would do if the dealer called you and said they had an offer for $4,000 more on that trailer, then asked if you wanted to pay the extra $4,000 or lose the deal.

Exact same scenario with the positions switched.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer

bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
A dealer LOVES money. Once they get yours, that is quickly forgotten as they look for the next MONEY.

Contrary to popular theory constantly promoted here on the forums by pundits there are plenty of dealers around who will bend over backwards to solve any issues you may have with your rig ... the key is to find the right dealer. 😉

I agree, but they happen to be few and far between, and the ratio of good to bad seems to be getting lower due to the trend of mega dealers, who typically could care less once you sign on the dotted line when it comes to after the sale "service and support"

A good example is the RV market here in western PA. There have always been a limited number of RV dealers in a 70 mile radius. In 2015 Campers Inn acquired one, Camping World just acquired another. Neither were the greatest to begin with, One was Clems RV NW of the city, the latest Coopers RV , but I can tell you from first hand experience Campers Inn is the bottom of the barrel which is where we purchased our current trailer, and everyone knows Camping Worlds reputation. If they end up being 1% better than the Harrisburg PA CW location, formerly Grumbine's, that will be a massive improvement. I can say that as I attempted to purchase at both Coopers and Harrisburg PA Camping World and it was not much fun trying to spend money at either.

Ironically a local mom and pop dealer which is 2nd generation owned and is 5 miles from home, is probably the best dealer around by a wide margin from both the sales and service prospective, Brooks Camper Sales. I have known the current 2nd generation owner since grade school. Unfortunately he does not or has not carried the brand or type/size we were interested in for our last two purchases. He has however helped us out even though he was not the selling dealer with some warranty issues, despite not carrying the specific brand.

Good dealers are out there, but good luck finding one and usually you'll be going a fair distance from home to find them.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?