cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can we tow 37' TT w/ Ram 2500 Diesel SRW w/ good stability?

olivergi
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about buying a 37' TT and pulling it with a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and single rear wheels. We're concerned about stability pulling that size trailer. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
olivergi wrote:
Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful. Based on your input and other research we've done we're going to stick with the Ram 2500 4x4 and go with the 5th wheel trailer. That should shorten the overall length and provide us with more stability.
If you go with a 5th wheel you're going to have to watch your pin weight. You'll also have to decide whether you're going to use your Ram 2500's payload rating or RAWR to determine your maximum pin weight.

Our TV is a '16 Ram 3500 SRW diesel. The same truck as yours with the exception of the rear suspension (7,000 lb. RAWR vs. 2500's 6,500 RAWR w/18-20" wheels). We just moved from a 12,000 lb. 33ft 5th wheel to a 9,500 lb. 36 ft. (overall length) travel trailer. Best move we ever made. Opened up the entire bed for storage. Much less hassle hitching and unhitching. The TT is also 2 ft. lower, so reduced height concerns. No stability, sag, or ride issues with the stock suspension. The only negative is a single push and pull when semi's pass too close. As for the extra length, we have zero sway or stability issues with 15% tongue weight.

YMMV.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a Citation 41-ZBSR TT with a PSD Excursion but it had a Hensley Arrow. It was also towed without the Hensley Arrow with a F350 CC long WB DRW pickup so with a short WB SRW pickup use something like the Hensley Arrow.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
olivergi wrote:
Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful. Based on your input and other research we've done we're going to stick with the Ram 2500 4x4 and go with the 5th wheel trailer. That should shorten the overall length and provide us with more stability.

Great, but just watch your pin weight on the 5er you choose for your 2500
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been towing a 37 ft TT with my Ram 2500 CTD for two years now, not a problem in the world.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

olivergi
Explorer
Explorer

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
olivergi wrote:
We're thinking about buying a 37' TT and pulling it with a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and single rear wheels. We're concerned about stability pulling that size trailer. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Not 37 ft but close at 35 ft. I say go for it. I've got the Equalizer hitch and the combo is superb. Zero sway or any other issue. A good WD hitch is the the key.

The bigger issue for you will be length restrictions in certain campgrounds
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

drew999999
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Granted itโ€™s not a F-150 ecoboost but it does pretty good.

Hey now... don't be jealous. ๐Ÿ˜„
2017 Keystone Passport 3350BH Grand Touring
2013 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 37โ€™ trailer that comes in @ 10,000#. with a truck just like yours. 2500 srw Cummins. It handles beautifully. Granted itโ€™s not a F-150 ecoboost but it does pretty good.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
path1 wrote:
olivergi wrote:

If quad cab with 8 foot bed you're going to be overall about 67 feet long. With 15% on tongue weight and good towing mirrors...but still going to be a pain to back and make lane changes and If you go 5th wheel watch pin weight. But you got the right machine to do it. My 2500 recently added oversize diff cover and temp gauge, no problems with 4:10 gears with old 47re trans. Added air bags just to feel better.

(Don't worry somebody will be around to say they have towed for 500 years and 500 different trailers that are 500 feet long etc.)

A Ram 2500 CC LB is exactly 21'6" long. A 37' TT is 37' long.
That adds up to 58'6" not 67'.

Correct...typo
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is a little shorter than yours, but same truck I use the propride hitch and love it

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my 37' TT with a custom 2' rack off the back (so 39') with a 2500 suburban with no issues. If you get in heavy wind you will feel it even in a dually. You won't have any issues with your combo.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a 37 ft. TT with a Ram 3500 dually. Absolutely no problems. Can't even tell when a big truck passes me if I couldn't see it. No sway at all. Easy to back but it does require more room at that length. I have never towed this TT with a SRW so I'm not really certain how much the dually helps.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

drew999999
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
I have the 37' trailer in my sig and the truck in my sig. I have the BlueOx SwayPro 2000 hitch, and so far so good. Our last trailer was 32' and I towed it with no problems. My trailer has a backup camera, and that helps when backing in this long trailer.

I agree that the backup camera is a great addition to a long TT. The dealer threw one in when I bought mine and really didn't think I'd use it as much as I actually do. I've tried using it while towing (as a rear view camera) but find myself being distracted by it, so I just stick to my mirrors.
2017 Keystone Passport 3350BH Grand Touring
2013 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'd have any trouble but at those longer lengths a fifth wheel can start to make more sense. Not only do they tow better inherently, they also shorten up the total rig by a good 4' compared to the same length TT.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB