cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get on my roof?

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012/13 Trail Runner 25BH (some info here). I'd like to know if I can get on the roof to inspect the AC and other areas. Where can I find that information out? I do have the manuals that came with the trailer, but it didn't specify one way or another.

My reason is, I'd like to inspect the roof and caulking, since I think there may be a leak, but I'll post more about that in another thread.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
12 REPLIES 12

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Brochure says fully walkabout roof. But you might take a 4x4 sheet of plywood to help distribute your weight if you're uneasy about it.

Thank you, thank you! I looked again, and YES, the brochure does say fully walkable roof!

I will follow all the cautions and suggestions. I try to never be careless when working high up, and I have some 2" foam left over from my basement reno, which I think I can use for this. Now, to figure out that possible leak!
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Microlite Mike wrote:
My general rule of thumb is if the TT/MH came with a ladder, the roof is "walkable".

That said, putting down something like the foam insulation panels mentioned is a great idea. Not only helps distribute weight but protects the roof membrane from possible damage. Just changing directions while walking, twisting your shoe(s) on the membrane, might cause wrinkling. Also much easier on the knees which most will spend a lot of time on them while doing roof maintenance.

My first new TT, a 2001 Wilderness had a ladder.
Bothe manual and the dealer said not to walk on it.
I did get up there for maintenence, but used some plywood to spread my weight and move around.
It was pretty obvious from the way it flexed that it was just 1/8" luan.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If manufacture says it's walkable, then you can walk on it. My unit does not have a ladder (due to a rear slide out king bed), but manufacturer brochure states it is a fully walkable roof.

SAFETY FIRST at ALL times! Only do this if you are agile, feel comfortable doing this, and have assistance. Do NOT do this while alone!

I'm 6' 275# and I am VERY CAUTIOUS when I go on roof. In the next week or so, I plan on removing AC shroud to clean evap and condenser coils, and give it a general inspection. My 23yo son will assist.

Ladder will be placed so when I get to roof top, I'll be near AC. I'll go straight to AC and stay near it for my work. I will use a 2'x2' piece of rigid foam to kneel on (easy on knees and spreads load). Plywood has sharp edges, is heavier, and not needed IMO. Rigid foam is plenty rigid for this application.

Except for one fantastic fan vent in center (which I recently had installed by RV shop) I was able to caulk all other areas. If I can do any roof-related work , i.e., antenna repair, vents, vent covers, caulking, etc., from side of RV using a ladder, I'll do that. I'll ONLY go on roof when I feel safe and want to do work myself.

I like to use a straight folding type aluminum ladder, with pool noodle foam taped to upper sections to protect where ladder touches the trailer. I prefer this type of ladder over the A frame as I believe it is more stable when stepping to/from ladder, onto/off of the RV roof.

Go slow, take your time, don't rush, stay away from roof edges, and have someone with you to assist with handing you tools/supplies, and to hold ladder when you go up/down.

Again, SAFETY FIRST!!!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wear padded snowshoes, to distribute the weight...:B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can...but should you? Dangerous up there and a long fall. I've found that I can do everything that needs to be done from a ladder.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Y-Guy wrote:
Brochure says fully walkabout roof. But you might take a 4x4 sheet of plywood to help distribute your weight if you're uneasy about it.
That sounds like an accident waiting to happen; I’d rather take my chances of going through the roof.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walking on the roof, is not a one roof fits all! If you are 300+ lbs, compared to the guy that is 160!

Very true! I'm a 'little' north of 200# and 6'-3" tall, so in my case, I just got up there to find out what it could take..

Your mileage may vary! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
My general rule of thumb is if the TT/MH came with a ladder, the roof is "walkable".

That said, putting down something like the foam insulation panels mentioned is a great idea. Not only helps distribute weight but protects the roof membrane from possible damage. Just changing directions while walking, twisting your shoe(s) on the membrane, might cause wrinkling. Also much easier on the knees which most will spend a lot of time on them while doing roof maintenance.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While my current RV roof is walkable, many are not. I have used a 2" extruded polystyrene foam rigid insulation sheet rather than plywood to stand on, due to it being light weight, easy to handle, and more comfortable to kneel on.

If you buy a 4x8 sheet, you can cut into several pieces, so it's easy to move about, moving one piece, while standing on the other.

Walking on the roof, is not a one roof fits all! If you are 300+ lbs, compared to the guy that is 160! 🙂

Jerry

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
My old Prowler said it's roof was non walkable unless you use a board to step on..

I had an A/C unit installed by the dealer when we bought it and there were foot prints all over the roof when they installed it..

So, I walked in it all the time to put the cover on, clean, inspect and re-caulk as needed..

I did find that trying to walk on the roof stringers was best, as between them, you could feel it 'give' a bit...

No issues over 16 years of doing it.

I do like the totally walk on roof of the Rockwood. And the bolt on ladder is nice too.. 🙂

Good luck, Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I used to get on my roof (different units, different roof types.) Don't now, but only due to my age.

My neighbor next door just had his roof inspected and the person walked all over it. He has a rubber roof.

Just be careful if you go up there!