cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite security

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure where to post this question but since I have a TT I'll start here. Been using the trailer for about 5 years and other than a couple of things stolen while in the storage yard, our camping experience has been quite crime free.

That changed this year when a few items were pilfered overnight from our county-run campsite in Victorville, CA. This is a rural desert area, but a nice place in the winter when we go. There are no rangers, etc. at the campground overnight. There is now a transient population that is nearby, and they "raided" several sites near the border of the campground, stealing things like lanterns, coolers, and propane canisters. Mostly stuff homeless people would use. They made their way in through a cut in a barbed wire fence, as well as going under it. The county repaired the fence the next day (pretty good service) but each night the thieves hit someone.

My question is kind of broad, but what do you do as far as securing your camp overnight? We don't necessarily want to put everything away every night, but obviously things like lanterns and propane canisters we can (from now on) put in the tow vehicle or trailer. I am a little more concerned about people rummaging through my site when my son (age 11) and I are asleep inside with no rangers around to provide any security. We could leave some lights on all night (neighbors are far enough away that they would not be disturbed) or do lights just make it easier for thieves to steal your stuff? I have heard about motion sensor perimeter alarms and/or lights which would go off if someone comes through, but then what? Go out there and confront them? Maybe not the best plan. Maybe surveillance cameras if such a thing exists for camping? I bummed that I even have to worry about this, but maybe someone has some helpful insight.

Thanks,
Andre
59 REPLIES 59

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If there is a known and repeated pattern of theft...it's not a nice place to stay.

As long as it's petty theft, a simple solution is to put stuff away. If there are 4 campsites, 3 have lots of goodies laying about and one doesn't...guess who is least likely to have stuff stolen...but if I have to be constantly on guard for theft, I'm not relaxing, so it's not a nice place to stay.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the feedback so far. I am not all that worried about personal safety at this point since they are after easy to steal stuff. I don't think this is much different than the people who steal bikes from campsites and whatever else. I don't think this campground is alone in this kind of problem, and I am not ready to give up on it yet.

My aim is to dissuade them from poking around at all. The easy part is to minimize the goodies lying around that might interest them. The other part is to deter them from looking around for anything I might have missed. I think the motion light is one thing, and I like that perimeter alarm that will alert me and I can turn on floodlights remotely to deter them (and ID them).

When this happened we had another night to stay, and I couldn't decide if it was better to leave the lights on or turn them all off that last night. That sort of led me down this road of trying to figure out how to make the area a bit more secure. Has anyone heard of any camera systems that could apply? I was thinking of getting a couple of those dash cams and just pointing them out a window to record the goings-on overnight, but something that broadcasts to a smartphone would be even better since I can just sit inside and watch. Probably will just end up being bears going through the trash, but it would be good to know that as well!

Andre

PS I'm okay with guns, but anti-personnel mines is a bit too risky. I'd forget to disarm them in the morning and the kid would have to cook his own breakfast.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Tripwire attached to a granade.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Anti personnel land mines.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Find a new place to camp.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would get the wheels moving and go elsewhere.

If you can't leave, get a motion alarm;

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-security-alert-system-62447.html
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
yea id probably leave. transients are a pretty nice name for drug abusers and the mentally ill. Both groups can be a problem as they need to steal to survive. Easiest way is just avoid them. Once you find a new place a motion light can be a good choice. Finally buy a gun and learn to defend yourself and your child. Hopefully never comes to that though.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
I think motion sensor lights would be more deterant than steady on lights. Thieves would know when lights are always on and that no one is likely watching at 2-3 am. But lights popping on as they approached your trailer would throw doubt in their mind as to whether some one saw them and switched on the lights.

But unfortunately short of someone providing better security, there is not many alternatives beyond hiding everything every night or go some where else.

The problem with motion lights is the same with car alarms. There are so many "false alarms" that they get ignored by the person depending on them to protect their stuff.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing is going to "keep you safe" while you sleep. If you are concerned that you and/or your son might be at risk, then the answer is not to stay there.

Staying there when you are fearful of something happening is going to:
1) make you a nervous wreck
2) potentially create a confrontation with someone
and/or
3) get someone injured or killed

Just find another park and relax.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I think motion sensor lights would be more deterant than steady on lights. Thieves would know when lights are always on and that no one is likely watching at 2-3 am. But lights popping on as they approached your trailer would throw doubt in their mind as to whether some one saw them and switched on the lights.

But unfortunately short of someone providing better security, there is not many alternatives beyond hiding everything every night or go some where else.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I pass through Victorville a couple of times every year. I don't feel comfortable stopping to fill up for gas. I never expect a campsite to be an Oasis that doesn't in any way reflect the neighborhood. If there are a lot of homeless, transients and crime in the area, there is going to be homeless, transients and crime in the park. My go to tipoff is are the windows in the area secured with iron bars? Tipoff number two is there gang graffiti everywhere?
If the answer to either question is "yes", the chances I will be camping in the area is nil.
Victorville warrants a strong "YES" on both questions.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you catch them, then what?
I do have a cheap harbor freight "driveway" alarm, got 12 year old neighbor helping himself to pepsi in fridge in carport. Talk with parents...got all my weeds pulled this summer. I think kid learned something in life that will benefit him. Homeless...not so much.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You say it's a nice place, if you like it there stay, if you don't like it go some where else. The problem can't be fixed overnight or by a fence.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Don't camp there!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œwhen my son (age 11) and I are asleep inside with no rangers around to provide any securityโ€

What county, state or federal campground has rangers around providing security at night? And, yes, I put everything away every night or when leaving the CG.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad