cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping well below freezing - Sweden over winter

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours have taken a job working 150 miles north of the Arctic circle in Sweden this winter. The temperature gets down to -35 Celcius.

They will be living in their small truck camper. It is a Swedish-made camper so should be capable of reasonably cold conditions, but may not be designed for -35C.

They will have electric hookup.

It is on a diesel truck. Has fresh water and propane tanks as you would expect, plus a grey water tank and a cassette toilet. Hardside, not pop-up. No slide. No basement.

I've seen various things written here about winterising campers, but I assume they are for people storing their campers unused over winter as opposed to living in them.

Does anyone have any advice for coping with these temperatures - what can they put in place in the camper before they go? What do they need to be careful of?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
55 REPLIES 55

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I never knew that about propane. Very good information about the amount of BTUs you will get out at different temperatures and levels of fill.

Thanks,

Steve.
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
bb_94401 wrote:
Chuck and Di wrote:
Propane boils at -42C. There is no need for complex heaters or concern. I used it to heat my home for over 25 years in a climate similar to where they are going. Depending on the size of the tank, temperatures would have to be sustained for many hours below -42C for there to be an issue.

The key point to the above, is the size of the tank. A 500 gallon tank at a home with the primary stage of the regulator set to handle the temperature can easily meet the input needs of a furnace in very cold weather. The larger the volume of the gas cylinder compared to the load, the less likely freeze up at very cold temperature is. Thus the common statement about not needing to heat a tank based on a 500 gallon tank.

However this is not the case with the 20lbs tanks in the TC as they are small compared to the load. This can be seen by the fact that a sweat line forms or freezes around the tank at normal temperatures. The tank's ability to vaporize fuel is dependent on the heat transfer from the air to the tank and then to the propane. This depends on the temperature and the wetted surface area of the tank (amount of propane in the tank). Below is a table showing the amount of fuel per hour that a tank can produce at various temperatures and fill levels.

When my insulated TC is at 0°F the 25,000 BTU input (20,000 BTU output) furnace runs a total of 20-30 minutes per hour depending on the thermostat setting. So at colder temperatures I need more than 8-12,000 BTU/hr for my TC.

When we camped at -10°F (-23°C) to -20°F (-29°C) the heater ran almost continuously. From the table you can see what the problem was. At -20°F not enough propane can be vaporized per hour, so the furnace can't produce enough heat.

The second point of the table above is that in cold weather, as your tank empties, less propane can vaporize per hour due to less wetted surface area, so even though you have propane it doesn't heat your TC much because it is the equivalent of boiling water on LOW on the gas range, instead of HI.

Supplemental electric tank heat solves this problem and provides a greater reserve capacity in the event of a power failure. The thermostatically controlled cylinder blanket can be powered by a small generator. Having a larger tank (100 gallon; 400L or greater) helps, as well as having the first stage regulator pressure set at 10 psi vs 15 psi for weather around -20°F (-29°C) to avoid re-condensation of propane or regulator icing.

That is a very good explanation and information , well worth repeating .
u

We owned a restaurant in Dease Lake for a number of years that used propane as its main source of heating /cooking in the winter. We had a large tank which had a heating blanket on it which was recommended by the propane company as temps in the winter sometimes dropped below -45C. Don,t know if we really needed the blanket but if we lost the use of propane, it would be a problem.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
bb_94401 wrote:
Chuck and Di wrote:
Propane boils at -42C. There is no need for complex heaters or concern. I used it to heat my home for over 25 years in a climate similar to where they are going. Depending on the size of the tank, temperatures would have to be sustained for many hours below -42C for there to be an issue.

The key point to the above, is the size of the tank. A 500 gallon tank at a home with the primary stage of the regulator set to handle the temperature can easily meet the input needs of a furnace in very cold weather. The larger the volume of the gas cylinder compared to the load, the less likely freeze up at very cold temperature is. Thus the common statement about not needing to heat a tank based on a 500 gallon tank.

However this is not the case with the 20lbs tanks in the TC as they are small compared to the load. This can be seen by the fact that a sweat line forms or freezes around the tank at normal temperatures. The tank's ability to vaporize fuel is dependent on the heat transfer from the air to the tank and then to the propane. This depends on the temperature and the wetted surface area of the tank (amount of propane in the tank). Below is a table showing the amount of fuel per hour that a tank can produce at various temperatures and fill levels.

When my insulated TC is at 0°F the 25,000 BTU input (20,000 BTU output) furnace runs a total of 20-30 minutes per hour depending on the thermostat setting. So at colder temperatures I need more than 8-12,000 BTU/hr for my TC.

When we camped at -10°F (-23°C) to -20°F (-29°C) the heater ran almost continuously. From the table you can see what the problem was. At -20°F not enough propane can be vaporized per hour, so the furnace can't produce enough heat.

The second point of the table above is that in cold weather, as your tank empties, less propane can vaporize per hour due to less wetted surface area, so even though you have propane it doesn't heat your TC much because it is the equivalent of boiling water on LOW on the gas range, instead of HI.

Supplemental electric tank heat solves this problem and provides a greater reserve capacity in the event of a power failure. The thermostatically controlled cylinder blanket can be powered by a small generator. Having a larger tank (100 gallon; 400L or greater) helps, as well as having the first stage regulator pressure set at 10 psi vs 15 psi for weather around -20°F (-29°C) to avoid re-condensation of propane or regulator icing.

That is a very good explanation and information , well worth repeating .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck and Di wrote:

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I had my propane heater go out at -20 F and I was able to make my bigfoot livable with an electric heater. I had two big dogs so the heater had to be on the table to avoid getting knocked over, which meant the heat level only came down to the table. The camper was dry at the time though I was using the toilet. I would pour down RV antifreeze which kept it slushy but the blade for the out flow froze. I had to heat the camper up quite a bit to unfreeze that. It sounds as though they are going to use a cassette toilet so that shouldn't be a problem.

Even at the lowest temperatures I would leave a vent open as that removes the moisture. On the windows I use reflexit two layers and then plastic to hold it in place. My windows are single pane. If it gets really cold I add blankets to the windows they stay up pretty well if you anchor them on the boxes that are above the windows.

Under the bed you may want to put more insulation. The cold comes in and the mattress can get moldy on the bottom.

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
If the camper is well insulated, and continuously heated, condensation won't be an issue either. Fresh water and dealing with waste water will be the biggest problems I would think. And of course storage, particularly for bulky outerwear and boots.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have personally carried liquid propane in a bucket at while working in the region of Nature's Oil Spill. It was a lot colder than these folks are going to experience. They shouldn't have too much trouble keeping their propane boiling.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
PowerBlanket propane tank heaters increases the available pressure (amount of propane vaporized, amount of BTU available per hour) and temperature of the gas going into the regulator (less icing of the regulator or auto switch over valves). Still considering larger regulator for my winter road trips in MT, BC and AB

20 lb tank heater 120 VAC 1A (120W); 100 tank heater 120VAC 4.6A (550W) thermostatically controlled at 90F or 32C

Pricey, but when it's in negative degree F temperature, reliable propane heat is a necessity. Multiple sources of heat are also need whether electric or a good diesel heater (Espar and Webasto).

Ultimately a good down bag is cheap insurance.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov,
TC-er's use less house current electricity than most RV-ers. Why? Many of us are organized-campground-ophobics at heart and learn to rely on what we carry with us. That being said, we've used electric heat on a couple long winter TC trips in campgrounds: a little 1600 watt, 120vAC cube heater called the heat devil. Most of the campgrounds open in winter frown on anyone using electric heat because of their bottom line. Actually, I think electric heat, though very costly is a good way to go as it creates much less water vapor than propane. I remember one year in Moab, pre-TC, plying our rock crawler on a pile of very attractive rocks, we were living in large tent for the week. It was a very cold March that year in Moab. Jeanie said, "Take the Heat Devil along so you can get dressed in the AM without freezing". I said, "There's no way that little cube is going to heat up the 2 room tent with any dispatch". I was dead wrong. The tent heated right up, and the campgrounds' electric meter was buzzing and whirling to match. jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Electric heating was my thought too. If I pay for hookup at a campground I don't run my furnace, I use a small electric heater (about 500w). I believe their Swedish camper is very well insulated so a 240v electric heater should probably keep up with the heat loss. Of course they would want to know what amperage their 240v supply gave. In the UK a standard 240v supply from a house is 13 amps, so that is about 3Kw.

Steve.
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Well that's not as cold as I imagined, so I stand corrected, but I'm with Bumpy. Swedens nps doesn't have lodging? Maybe there folks are just looking for an adventure!
If it included unlimited snowmachining for free I'd do it!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
I found an official weather station near Abisko (42 kms distant). Since the past 13 months, the coldest it has gotten over winter was -26.3C (Jan 20th). It was actually above 0C for the first ~week of January during the day-time. It also went above 0C one day (early February), and again for appx 3 days the 3rd week of February. There were 3 distinct cold waves during january of this year lasting ~10 days, then ~4 days; then 6 days (a cold snap for me is when temps dip below -16C). In February, there were a few sharply cold days (4 of them) that went down to -16C to -22C, but only for ~1 day each. In March, there one last "gasp" of winter at the beginning of the 3rd week, where temps dipped to -18C to -23C for ~4 days. The really cold months in this region is from beginning of December to end of April. So, 5 months of quite cold weather.

The winds are in the 4.9 to 6.0 meters/second range average over 5 cold months; with possible gusts to 19.5 meters/second (9 ish MPH on average, up to 43 miles per hour-ish gusts)
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread! I have not been in extreme cold.

I am curious about heating. Since the person has "electric" at the campsite, what about electric heat? Everyone keeps talking about propane heaters. Put an electric heater somewhere in the camper. I figure electric heaters don't put out as much BTUs as a propane forced air heater, but would they be able to keep the camper at least livable (well, survivable)?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sort of surprised that some business would hire people to work in that kind of conditions and not provide some type of housing?
bumpy