cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camp Lite Livin' Lite question -- new fiberglass sides

platbr
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at Camplite Livin' Lite trailers, and have liked the fact that they are all aluminum construction, including the outer skin. Tonight, I noticed that one of the 2018 Camplite 21BHS models I found had "new with Fiberglass sides!!" The window sticker lists "PROTO: GREY FIBERGLASS EXTERIOR."

So does anyone know a reason for the change? Prior years were aluminum skin over Azdel. Any concerns buying "last year's model" with aluminum skin?
7 REPLIES 7

Big_Bruce
Explorer
Explorer
We had to have our TC door replaced due to the corrosion. Door was made by challenger and it was replaced under warranty.
Big Bruce
2006 Dodge, Dually, CTD, Quad Cab, 4 X 4, Automatic/ 2013 10' Camplite truck camper.
Hauling 2014 Harley Davidson Trike.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
platbr wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
They are building the fiberglass side units as prototypes for a possible sub model. Not sure of the rationale behind it, but they continue to manufacture the aluminum sided trailers with no announced plans to switch to fiberglass only. I think they are looking to come out with a lower cost line that still has the benefits of no/minimal wood, without discontinuing the current line of aluminum sided models.

Thanks. Here was an official response I got today: "Thank you for your inquiry. Livin Lite is adding the option of having Fbg. Exterior to their units. You can still get the trailers with the Aluminum skin, but there is an option now for the fbg."

I'd wondered if there was some underlying issue. We had some nasty filiform corrosion issues with our Airstream Bambi 19, and I didn't want to wade back into those problems if there was some issue nobody was talking about. But it sounds like the aluminum is still the preferred option.

My Camplite 21BHS is about 4 years old. I have no filiform corrosion on the camper sides/frames at all. The only place I have anything like that is a small area on a cargo bay door near the latch, and another small area near the bottom of the entrance door. The doors are made by Challenger. The spots are very minor. The camper itself is free from any such corrosion.

Never heard of filiform corrosion before so I googled it. Learned something new already this morning. Informative forum.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
platbr wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
They are building the fiberglass side units as prototypes for a possible sub model. Not sure of the rationale behind it, but they continue to manufacture the aluminum sided trailers with no announced plans to switch to fiberglass only. I think they are looking to come out with a lower cost line that still has the benefits of no/minimal wood, without discontinuing the current line of aluminum sided models.

Thanks. Here was an official response I got today: "Thank you for your inquiry. Livin Lite is adding the option of having Fbg. Exterior to their units. You can still get the trailers with the Aluminum skin, but there is an option now for the fbg."

I'd wondered if there was some underlying issue. We had some nasty filiform corrosion issues with our Airstream Bambi 19, and I didn't want to wade back into those problems if there was some issue nobody was talking about. But it sounds like the aluminum is still the preferred option.

My Camplite 21BHS is about 4 years old. I have no filiform corrosion on the camper sides/frames at all. The only place I have anything like that is a small area on a cargo bay door near the latch, and another small area near the bottom of the entrance door. The doors are made by Challenger. The spots are very minor. The camper itself is free from any such corrosion.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

platbr
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cost ? Mfg.'s tend to make them as inexpensive as they can. If they can find a way to make a dollar on every unit they sell, that's what they do. The rv industry is becoming cheaper and cheaper and we keep buying and buying. Who's the blame ?
One day soon, umbrella's and rain poncho's will come as standard equipment to be used inside the rv.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably it's Thor starting to cheapen the manufacturing. That's just a guess, but based on everything else going on in the industry it's an educated guess.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH