cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a truck from up north??

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got a question for you folks from up north. I'm starting to look for a slightly used truck. I can't seem to find one in the southeast. I've always heard about the road salt up north rusting cars out. I can also see it making getting rusty bolts loose a real pain.

Would a truck that is a less than 2 years old with 20-30k miles affected to bad??

Not I've decided I want a Ram 2500 Big Horn with the 6.4 gaser, it is the lowest trim level that has the 60/40 split seat. I need that so I can put my 2 kids and a Golden Retriever in the back seat ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd be fine with a Tradesman if it wasn't for the back seat. I'm not sure why, but I see very few of this configuration.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
33 REPLIES 33

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on how far north you mean. I live in a State that uses lots of salt and it does a number on all vehicles in just a few years. On the other hand I wouldn't buy a southern truck that has been in a flood so it works both ways. As mentioned, there are lots of northern States that don't use a lot of salt so they may a good place to buy a used truck.

Our schools may delay opening by 2 hours during a blizzard or more than 6" of snow to allow road crews to get the roads cleared for the buses. We got 6" last night and I didn't even see any school delays. We do see lots of accidents but I think that's either because people forget how to drive in snow or are in too much of a darn hurry to slow down.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Redwoodcamper wrote:
"up north" doesn't help us. There are plenty of places in "the north" that don't get much ice or salt. There are many that do.

Thanks for the reply, having always lived in AL and GA, we don't really know how all that works. We get a 1/2" of snow, and close the schools for 2-3 days ๐Ÿ™‚

I noticed several in Illinois, and Ohio. I'm not sure if I want to travel that far for one, but I'm trying to decide if I should even consider these areas.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
bought a truck up north once " in the salt belt ", never again.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
"up north" doesn't help us. There are plenty of places in "the north" that don't get much ice or salt. There are many that do.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204