cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I know it's early and I'm planning ahead.

Kicking the idea of this fall or winter after the new style 2020 HD's come out of picking up a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500 SRW HD Duramax.

Cons:

- A model year old already when I buy it.
- Not the latest generation

Pros:

- Helluva lot better looking than 2020's - will NOT consider them.
- Hopefully considerably less $$ to make up for being an "old" new truck

I'm on my second Duramax/Allison (2013) and they have been good to me and I still like the looks of the current GM offerings. Ford and Ram are good as well but don't have the appeal to me as much for various reason even though they are all good offerings.

I was planning on and may still end up waiting another three years or so before purchasing a new truck BUT because of the following:

- I won't buy the 2020 generation GM HD trucks.

- I have a concern that maybe I am over thinking and that is the CP4 fuel pump that I have in my current truck and the new Fords and 2019 Rams have. The Chevy/GMC do not currently.

- I generally like to buy new because I can get into a new truck (diesel) for close to or slightly more than a 1-2 year old used one, why buy used if it's nearly the same plus a full warranty. At least that was my experience the last time.

My current truck I purchased for 11K below the sticker price and hopefully can do the same or better now that a new generation is coming out.

Then again maybe with the looks of the upcoming ones it will drive up the demand for the leftovers ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thoughts??

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
29 REPLIES 29

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this will matter to you, but I like to keep something that expensive covered when I can.

My 2019 Chevy 2500 will barely fit in our garage - we actually tried it on the test drive. I read the 2020's will be even longer, and too long to fit in most household garages.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yeah, be hard to drive a 2020 HD Chevy without a bag over your head!

Make sure you cut eye holes in the bag. Safety first! ๐Ÿ˜„
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, be hard to drive a 2020 HD Chevy without a bag over your head!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for your input. If I can't score a good buy on a '19 I will wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out on the upcoming trucks. I re looked at the Gmc trucks and they do look a lot nicer that I remember from a couple of months ago. Chevys are still ugly though, it's going to take more that a 12 pack to make them look good.

Dan

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
There are many of these 2020 HD's in my parking deck. I would say that some of the trims and colors look much better than any picture. The High Country in white looks wonderful. There is a work truck trim in blue that reminds me of the pictures. The more I see them, the less awkward they appear. (Plus, I will not be looking at the grill unless I am pulled into my camp site, or sitting across the road.)

And for the record, my 2019 Reg Cab Sierra 1500 has 1970 lbs of payload per yellow sticker.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Instead of going for the new shinier truck. I prefer the last generation with all the kinks worked out vs. the 1st generation with none of the kinks worked out.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Last of the 6 speed Allis, great combo with the L5P.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 2020 high country version with the bow tie a lot. They had one at the auto show and it looked great in person. Locked, so didn't get to try the larger interior.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
First, I will say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, I have seen very little positive feedback on the looks of the new Chevy trucks. Maybe they will look better in person, but I really wonder if there won't be a increase in people doing the same that you are talking about - grabbing the last model year. If that is the case, not sure how much lower pricing you will see than there is right now.

I personally would have a very hard time buying the last year of a vehicle when there is a significant update coming. That new transmission sounds like a reason to upgrade in and of itself. If you can make the size work, I'd say go for the GMC version.

Yea, maybe I'll have to go for the GMC as all the Chevy guys will be going after the leftover 19's lol.

I know what you mean about buying the last year of something when something newer and shinier is around the corner. I never buy first year of a new issue however. But how much is newer and shinier worth for the an as close to equivalent truck? Is it a 10K,15k premium vs what 19's can be had for? I don't know what the tipping point here is yet. I imagine it's the same dilemma with the Ram boys with the newly redesigned torque monster 2019's and leftover 18's

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
First, I will say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, I have seen very little positive feedback on the looks of the new Chevy trucks. Maybe they will look better in person, but I really wonder if there won't be a increase in people doing the same that you are talking about - grabbing the last model year. If that is the case, not sure how much lower pricing you will see than there is right now.

I personally would have a very hard time buying the last year of a vehicle when there is a significant update coming. That new transmission sounds like a reason to upgrade in and of itself. If you can make the size work, I'd say go for the GMC version.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are willing to travel, you can get a '19 right now for 20% off. Check autotrader nationwide.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed the new GMC looks really good. There is a lot tech in the new 2020 HD's. The fact that there are no nannies restricting power in the lower gears would make it worth the price of admission right there. I hate the lag (dead pedal). Perhaps the best solution would to plan for a end of year 2019, and if not get the latest edition. I doubt there will be 20% off an HD. Especially at year end. Every farmer and contractor in America who has some extra cash buys pickups then. If you do see one you like, send the money and lock it down.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
Yes, you should be able to get 15-20% off a new 2019 GM HD making them a good buy, especially as the dependable Duramax continues unchanged.

I will say this: I can understand you ruling out the hideous 2020 Chevy, but the 2020 GMC HD looks fantastic. And the 10-speed auto plus updated weight ratings will be a boon for towing....

Thanks for the response. Yes the GMC does looks much better. A couple of other things I didn't mention about the new 2020's is it sounds like they are taller, wider and longer than the previous generation which I'm not sure I like as they are getting to big already. The latest tranny I think is a Allison branded and not a true Allison as before if that matters remains to be seen. The current generation has more that enough grunt for me anyway.

Dan

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good plan if you find the right truck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should be able to get 15-20% off a new 2019 GM HD making them a good buy, especially as the dependable Duramax continues unchanged.

I will say this: I can understand you ruling out the hideous 2020 Chevy, but the 2020 GMC HD looks fantastic. And the 10-speed auto plus updated weight ratings will be a boon for towing....
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV