cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying 1st Travel Trailer Go Large or Not?

MarkRBD2019
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am new to this forum and I would appreciate the views of all you Travel Trailer experienced hands on this question.
I am looking to buy a custom built 36' Travel Trailer made by Recreation by Design that will weigh approx. 8000 LBS. I intend to use a Reese or similar hitch and sway/weight distribution set up on a Ram 1500 with a 3.92 differential, 5.7 Hemi 8 cylinder and a factory rated towing capacity of 10440 LBS. I intend to keep my total vehicle weight below 10440 LBS including passengers and cargo. I will be installing a back up camera with wide angle on the trailer.
I have been told by an experienced RV guy that the trailer is too much for my truck and that the length will cause me all kinds of problems, regardless of what Ram says the tow rating is and what kind of sway/distribution hitch system I put on it.

Any Thoughts from your RV Trailer Trailer pros on this or anything else I am thinking about and trying to do here?
Mark
45 REPLIES 45

MarkRBD2019
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Mark Twain, As my wife and I are a few years from retirement, it will be just us two living in the TT. As we felt we might (and I stress Might) decide to go the RV lifestyle at some point, we wanted a TT that would be as spacious as possible. The TT we are considering has only 1 bed, no couch or dinette as we intend to put two high end recliners in it and will probably sleep in them a lot of the time due to bad backs.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ram 1500 won't have tires, springs, brakes, and capacity to "safely" tow a trailer that long and heavy. Remember, a Toyota "towed" the shuttle (one of my favorite advertising gimmicks).

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an expert, but I did own a 2004 ram 1500 hemi 4x2 with 3:53 rear end. Set up a Equalizer brand hitch according to specs and towed my Jayco 30' 6" TT all over the place and it weighed right around 7500LBS going down the road. The rear end ratio made it a bit weak until up to speed. On calm days and without any water or fire wood our family of 4 got around pretty well. I did get sway from the odd semi/bus passing me especially in cross wind situations so there was some white knuckle moments at times. Truck was not powerful on hills at all, but it got us where we were going.

To add 4-5 more feet in length, and 1000-2000 more lbs weight I would say not a great plan at all. Everybody has different thresholds for safety...but I would vote a big thumbs down to your proposed setup.

A 3/4 ton or a 1 ton gas or diesel will mean a heavier tow vehicle to control that long/heavy of a travel trailer. My .02 as somebody who lived with a "marginal" setup for 4 seasons.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Gulfcoast wrote:
I'd want a one-ton dually to tow that trailer.

Me too... primarily due to the length, and what will probably be a high tongue weight due to the length
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'd want a one-ton dually to tow that trailer.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to see they're still on patrol.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn’t pull 36 feet with a half ton. Too much tail for the dog. As a newbie are you sure you want one that long? Mickey and Tacy found it hard to handle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MarkRBD2019 wrote:
Thanks I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming. I need to check the payload of my Ram but it sounds like this idea is going down like the Titanic. Sounds like I need a lot less TT or a lot more truck.

questions?
1. how many people will be in the trailer when you are traveling
2. how many beds do you need 90 % of the time when RVing. the more people traveling with you most of the time, the bigger trailer you. 2 people can be real comfortable in a 24 to 30 ft. trailer. 36 ft. is a really long to be towing and backing up into RV parks.
3. 5th. wheels are more stable when towing, easy to hook up and generally about 5 to 6 of the trailer are inside the truck bed.
4. Look at the Reese Dual Cam hitch makes towing a trailer much more stable.

MarkRBD2019
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming. I need to check the payload of my Ram but it sounds like this idea is going down like the Titanic. Sounds like I need a lot less TT or a lot more truck.

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
You will be surprised by the time you add the bare essentials you will add 1000-2000lbs. Everything from from your cloths,groceries,sleepingbags/blankets, cooking and eating utensils,bbq, any thing you put in the storage compartments it adds up faster then you realize

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A 36 ft travel trailer? Who needs all that room?
And, my 27 foot TT weighs 7500 lbs loaded. The walls of the 36 footer must be stuffed with helium to weigh only 8000 lbs or there is no strength left in the components.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...from experience I can tell you that it's going to be hard to keep an 8K, 36 footer under your payload rating..

Start with a couple of batteries and 2 full propane tanks, then there is the weight of the hitch equipment, then this and than and before you know it you are crushing the bump stops on your truck's suspension..

Give it a shot, we did and soon were truck shopping. Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Do not base anything on dry weight. What is the ready to camp weight?
What is the payload capacity of your Dodge.
An 8K trailer is a lot for your typical 1/2 ton truck.
On the surface I agree with your friend it appears to be too much trailer for your truck.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MarkRBD2019
Explorer
Explorer
Not planning any hill country travel until I get more experienced.

MarkRBD2019
Explorer
Explorer
I don't intent to travel with tanks full. Not planning to boondock. May have a couple of 5 Gallon containers of water in case a bathroom trip is needed. Intending to stay around 9000 loaded.