cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy Remote Thermostat For AC (controlled by Android app) ?

sean4fsu
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about buying a remote thermostat that is controlled by an app on my phone for the AC.

My wife and I live in a travel trailer in North Florida. And we are going to be living in it for the rest of this summer until late October. And for 3 more years (three more years from mid March through mid October), and I am thinking about buying a remote thermostat so that we can turn the AC on about 20-30 minutes minutes before we get there, and I am trying to decide if running it all day long (about 8 hours a day). and during the night if it would be worth it to buy an aftermarket remote thermostat to save money by not running it all day.

The total cost of the aftermarket remote controlled by an Android phone would be about $100. And if anyone knows about a lower cost option, please let me know.
7 REPLIES 7

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do that with my park model... but it has a real AC system. I also leave it on at 80 when we are not there.

You are going to need to be able to access the system on the wifi system you connect to. I use a neighbors wifi as it's more stable than the parks wifi. I had to have him log on to his system with my computer to allow me to connect the thermostat to the wifi.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
You can get that in a new RV. LCI has come out with some new electronics that remotely control A/C. lights, slides, leveling, awnings etc. Right now the system is not backward compatible, just toured one of their factories.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK you will save some money. And first verify the replacement is compatible with your heating/cooling system. Many are digital and are not compatible. If you have a fairly regular schedule, a programmable may also work well for you.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz is right on. The RV thermostats are not the same as residential and are not directly interchangeable. I have rewired my AC/furnace control boxes in all my RVs to use a better t-stat with less temp difference between on & off. Thus I could use a residential t-stat. I've not searched on-line for a product that will work; maybe someday someone will make one.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2 on 20 to 30 minutes being useless.

The idea of air conditioning is to keep the RV from warming up in the first place.

If it is hot--it may take hours to cool it down.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO 30 minutes of cooling won't buy you much. Better to set it up a degree or two, ie. 78 instead of 76 and let the A/C keep things inside at a reasonable temperature. If you shut off the A/C completely everything inside will warm up and you will have to undo all of that to be comfortable again.
One problem I have with internet t/s is that if you can access it so can a hacker. I wouldn't want someone to reset it for heat at 100 degrees while we were out.
Like I said IMHO.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that your new one can replace your current thermostat before you buy. Dometic uses a proprietary serial data connection between the thermostat and AC/furnace. I’ve been looking for a WiFi, programmable replacement for years.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)