cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumpy Dirt roads & Slideouts: Outdoors RV Wind River TT

wepeterson47
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at purchasing an Outdoors RV Wind River TT. We seem inclined to boondocking and bumpin' for some miles on dirt roads. Any suggestions and/or links to how to minimize wear and tear and/or damage? This's my 3rd RV but never have had slideouts before. Slower speeds seem appropriate. Reduce air pressure in tires? Other ideas? ? ?

Thanks in advance, wep
9 REPLIES 9

Sifter
Explorer
Explorer
jorge1958 wrote:
I had a Wind River TT. Sold it earlier this year. Wouldn't buy another with all the problems I had.

It appears you had one of their very early models, 2010? Didnt they just start their manufacturing in 2009? Hoping they got all the kinks worked out.

Can you detail what issues you had?
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW Limited 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2014 Arctic Fox 25Y
SOLD: 2007 Fleetwood Terry Resort 240RKS

jorge1958
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Wind River TT. Sold it earlier this year. Wouldn't buy another with all the problems I had.
2000 Mallard 26E
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I have had NO dust intrusion from driving off-road, nor any signs of the body flexing on my CreekSide, which is almost 40' tip to to with 4 slide-outs. I've drug it over logs, stumps and boulder, and even washboarded dirt roads at highway speeds.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
All Wind Rivers come with shocks and a Trail-rite system for a smooth ride. The frame is a solid one built by Northwoods the Arctic Fox maker. You are looking at a very well built TT and should have no dirt road issues with it.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing that I know of that causes bumps or any road surface to be a problem for slide rooms. If it's an electric slide room then I'm recommend you use a slide LOCK of some sort to keep the seals tight against the trailer but that is true even on smooth highways to prevent water intrusion when towing in the rain. ON dirt roads (gravel roads) etc. dust is just as likely to enter so use those slide locks. Used ours for MANY miles on our Alaska trip (probably over 500 miles of gravel travel on the Dalton, Denali, Cassiar and Top of the World highways and they were either a large percentage of dirt or completely dirt.

Other trips in the lower states include a LOT of logging roads in the mountains where travel is a lot slower but even more rocking and jerking side to side so locking down the slide is just as important there.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Many years ago we witnessed the house portion of a TT lift up and peel off its frame while it was going down the road. We had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting it as it slid down the highway on its side. I stopped to help and the driver said he had been driving on some rough logging roads. His two dogs were inside but were in crates and they seemed to be OK.
I could actually see where the bolts that held the box to the frame had pulled out and left neat holes. The only funny part was I saw a mouse stick its head out one of the holes and dart back in.
So I would be very careful and avoid any surface that makes the trailer twist too much.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
Add shocks to,your trailer axles.

Bruce

IIRC all but one Outdoor RV trailers come with shocks. I think maybe the Blackrock doesn't.

That's great for the OP. I wish they all came with shocks.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

Bruce

IIRC all but one Outdoor RV trailers come with shocks. I think maybe the Blackrock doesn't.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers