cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broke Down and Bought a GM

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after a lot of thought about our tow vehicle, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't going to do the job for us. It has decent power, but I wasn't convinced that it was heavy duty enough for serious towing, chassis and brake wise. So I started shopping....and came home with a GM for the first time in my life!

It is a 2001 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 5.3L that I bought from the original owner! :B It is absolutely like new inside and out and serviced at the GM dealer from new. It will be used to tow our 18' Maxum bowrider 4.3L because I wasn't convinced that my wife's 2005 Acura MDX would be a great tow vehicle for it.

The Yukon drives and rides beautiful. I spent a few days over the Christmas break servicing it, replacing corroded brake lines (bad problem for GM's of this era), cleaning ABS sensors, etc. I think it will be a great addition for us!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes
13 REPLIES 13

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad your happy with your purchase.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the comments and tips. It already has an exhaust manifold leak on the drivers side; the bolt closest to the firewall is broken off. I tried to use a Dorman clamp to seal it up but no luck, at least not yet. I’ll try tightening the bolt on the clamp after a few heat cycles. If it doesn’t seal up I may have to have the manifold removed, machined, and reinstalled with new gaskets and bolts. I’ll definitely check out the receiver hitch too.

It has 262k kms (about 160k miles) and the transmission has been rebuilt. It has had a bunch of other things done too like both front wheel bearing assemblies replaced, etc.

It looks great for its year; it is bright white with tan leather interior. The PO also had it into the body shop to take out some minor rust and scratches so it really looks new on the exterior. It also has a nearly new set of Michelin Defenders. So far we’re very happy with it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought 2001 RAM Sport 4wd 2500 last Summer to tow our 23’ 7k GlasPly Boat. Boat trailer parking areas are no place for a DRW.

Oh ofcourse its powered by the BIG “C”

Would have used our 99 Tahoe 350 but that would be too much boat to handle IMHO.

Should be a great rig for you! Our 99 has around 235k with all original running gear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, think you got a great vehicle. The Yukon has always had an appeal for me.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
2001 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4 5.3L that I bought from the original owner! :B It is absolutely like new inside and out and serviced at the GM dealer from new. It will be used to tow our 18' Maxum bowrider 4.3L......
I spent a few days over the Christmas break servicing it, replacing corroded brake lines (bad problem for GM's of this era), cleaning ABS sensors, etc. I think it will be a great addition for us!

Corroded brake lines and corrosion on the wheel hub where the wheel speed sensor attaches were extremely common problems.

Since this will be towing, pay attention to exhaust leaks at the manifold. These 5.3's and the 6.0 were notorious for breaking exhaust manifold bolts on the rear and fontmost ports. It seems the heat generated from the strain of towing tends to make this issue surface.

Oh, and I'll jump on my usual soap box.......replace the OEM receiver. There were a horrible design that were weak, poorly welded, and would definitely break in the wrong conditions. This Curt Class III Receiver is money well spent.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I had a friend that did something similar. He lived about 5 miles from the lake and got tired of hooking and unhooking his boat trailer along with his other trailers. So he just bought a beater for a few grand and it stayed permanently attached to his boat trailer.
It's all good until you get the insurance bill.

B.O.
The liability insurance on my old 99 Ford 250 7.3 is next to nothing, around 10 bucks monthly for the minimum coverage.

I would never drive a new 70k truck through the salt and slush of winter, I keep my trucks at least a decade.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
I had a friend that did something similar. He lived about 5 miles from the lake and got tired of hooking and unhooking his boat trailer along with his other trailers. So he just bought a beater for a few grand and it stayed permanently attached to his boat trailer.
It's all good until you get the insurance bill.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Yukon is your new TV? Interesting. Kelly Bluebook says value is between $3200 to $5300. Happy pulling.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Always nice when you find a vehicle that you know was cared for like you would have!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Your Ram wouldn't tow an 18' boat or did you just not want to get the tires wet? 😉
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Smart move! No sense in stressing the Ram 3500 DRW Cummins by pulling that 18 foot boat!
Just kidding, I imagine the Ram will be busy pulling the fifth wheel at the same time.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles