cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bringing kayaks camping

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are thinking about purchasing kayaks to take camping as we are near water quite often. We have a short bed F-250 and a 27 ft tow behind trailer. My question to all of you who do this how do you transport your kayaks? We're looking in the 8ft range for my wife and 10 ft for me. Wil they fit in the bed? Will I need a rack? Thank you for any advise.
42 REPLIES 42

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you just put them in the trailer? Wrap them in moving blanket or something so not to scratch up stuff

WolverineState
Explorer
Explorer
We own a single and a double stearns inflatable. Have taken them on many trips over the years with no issues. The single I've owned for around 15 years and it's still working great. The saltwater (I've used it in the florida keys) fades the fabric somewhat, but I wasn't too anal on washing it afterwards, so that may be avoided. It's very comfortable, takes me 10 minutes to inflate manually, and weighs under 30 lbs.
Here's a link I found that may help...

http://www.allinflatableboats.net/stearns-inflatable-kayaks.html

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a rack, two kayaks in years past, 3 this year. Two on outside flat in kayak saddles on rack, middle one on J-racks. Bikes on front carrier on truck.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
danimal53 wrote:
dont mean to hijack the thread, but seemed relevant: whats a good brand for an inflatable kayak and where would i find one? wife and i were looking at possibly getting one, not looking for super-premo top dollar, but decent.

We bought the Sea Eagle 370 from Amazon. So far we have used it on lakes, slow rivers, and the Gulf of Mexico. Works well and inflates and deflates easily.

This is the same inflatable we have an are very pleased with it. Chuck

Jim_in_OKC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding inflatables...... check out the Advanced Elements line. I've been pleased with mine and they have a good general reputation as well.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a ladder rack from Amazon for under $100, and 2 pairs of J racks for about $40. We put 2 yaks flat in the middle, and 2 on the outside in the j-racks, and it fits great. Also it leaves your bed open for other stuff. We have a bike rack that sits on top of the bed rails, yet below the yaks. We can carry 4 yaks, 4 bikes, and still have room for coolers, and firewood underneath.

If y'all are paddling flat water (lakes), I would get at least a 10ft yak, if not 12ft. We borrowed a 8ft before we bought ours, and they will turn on a dime, but they don't like to go straight. My wife and kids have 10ft, and I have a 12ft, and you can really tell a difference how they track.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
dont mean to hijack the thread, but seemed relevant: whats a good brand for an inflatable kayak and where would i find one? wife and i were looking at possibly getting one, not looking for super-premo top dollar, but decent.

We bought the Sea Eagle 370 from Amazon. So far we have used it on lakes, slow rivers, and the Gulf of Mexico. Works well and inflates and deflates easily.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a set of Yakima Outdoorsman rack & bars off Craigslist. We haul a 17' canoe but two short kayaks would also fit without having turn clearance problems.
Some people make their own racks.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry two 18 foot sea kayaks and one 17 foot canoe on the roof of my pick up.
I have a cap on it and have two Yakima cross bars on it and one on the cab roof.
This lets me slide them on from the back, but then I can put them with the overhang in front over the hood so they won't hit the trailer on turns.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Silverado 1500 Crew-cab with a short bed and we are able to carry 4 Kayaks, which are 10' each. We strap the front of kayaks down on bottom of truck bed and the back end of them on top of the closed tailgate, which allows just enough clearance for tight turns. We use 3 x 12' tie-downs.

We have been able to get 4 bikes on as well, 1 on each side standing up. One small bike along tailgate under kayaks, and one on top of kayaks with a blanket between. Also firewood tucked underneath.

Amazing what one can carry if you try.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I made a metal slide in rack that fits in the pickup bed, it holds my 18' canoe or my 12' solo canoe which ever I want to carry
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My 9.5' kayak rides in the bed of the truck, on a diagonal. It overhangs a bit, but does not interfere at all with the turn radius of the trailer. If I was hauling more than one, this arrangement would not work.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We use a rack for our 17 foot canoe, or 20 tandem kayak. Works great. Just make sure its forward enough not to hit the trailer

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I use a top rack to haul a 17 ft canoe.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:

Mrs. Camper has Hobiecat 9' Mirage. Comes with everything but she added an electric pump rather than stick with the manual one. We toss it in the bed of the truck. Find a dealer near you at hobiecat.com.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance