cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Out Another Thousand....

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Man, it costs to keep these RV's / Trucks and trailers on the road.

Having my transmission rebuilt this week in my 2500 diesel.

There goes another $2000....

I guess that's better than making big payments every month for a new one though.

Anyone spending any $$$$ on your rigs lately?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
59 REPLIES 59

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
DustyR wrote:
I have a 2008 Duramax that I purchased with 91,000 miles on it. I usually use a rule of thumb budgetings apx amount of 3 vehicle payments per year as a maintenance/repair budget.
50,000 Mile major maintenace usually sets me back $600 plus. I had a electrical quirk show up last year that set me back apx $2000. Vehicle rental was also included in that amount.
We all know diesel vehicles are more expense to maintain, but when coupled with the longevity the per mile cost is offset.
I spoke yesterday with a friend that went from diesel back to gasoline. I asked him how it was handling his fifth wheel, his response "fine until I hit the mountains and I'm not used to running with my four way flashers on at 35 mph while the engine turns 5000 rpm pulling this load up the mountain". He said he was returning to a diesel.

I guess his experience was the same as mine as I went to diesel for the added torque and fuel economy towing. My Duramax is also my daily driver.

I would ask what gas engine/truck he went with?

I have a group of 3 buddies that we go camping with all the time, all with similar trailers/5th wheel weights.

They are '00 F350 7.3, '05 Duramax and a '15 3500 Dodge. My '08 Tundra doesn't have a hard time keeping up with any of them (except the 15 Dodge on long mtn passes - that truck just goes.)
It just can't stay out of the dealership.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I can relate going up a mountain on 35 mph in a gas rig... so glad to have a diesel now.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Duramax that I purchased with 91,000 miles on it. I usually use a rule of thumb budgetings apx amount of 3 vehicle payments per year as a maintenance/repair budget.
50,000 Mile major maintenace usually sets me back $600 plus. I had a electrical quirk show up last year that set me back apx $2000. Vehicle rental was also included in that amount.
We all know diesel vehicles are more expense to maintain, but when coupled with the longevity the per mile cost is offset.
I spoke yesterday with a friend that went from diesel back to gasoline. I asked him how it was handling his fifth wheel, his response "fine until I hit the mountains and I'm not used to running with my four way flashers on at 35 mph while the engine turns 5000 rpm pulling this load up the mountain". He said he was returning to a diesel.

I guess his experience was the same as mine as I went to diesel for the added torque and fuel economy towing. My Duramax is also my daily driver.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced tires on rig, trailer and the explorer, $6200 out the door.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
The best part of this thread is that I don’t feel so bad about spending for repairs on my truck, come to find out everyone does!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On a forum where a fuel octane thread can get our of hand because people don't know the difference between "may" and "shall", or similar terminology, something about cost of ownership and depreciation is bound to get blown to the moon.
There are soooo many factors that affect the overall cost of vehicle ownership and people's interpretation of such, it would be like combining the which oil, which tires, gvw, payload AND octane arguments ALL into one! (And likely the Dmax Vs Powerjoke vs Cummins threads too!)

Carry on boys....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"My GMC Duramax is 17 years old. That’s 74 in dog years same as me. Both of us need a bunch of repairs. Wish my truck had Medicare."

Best reply in a long time!! Thanks for brightening our day!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Someone said that used cost about as much as new. Nope, not the way I would do it. By "used" I mean used enough to cost half or less of a new one. In our case we purchased a 9 year old unit that cost around $80000 new for $23000. Only 20000 miles. In other words it had depreciated over $50000. We've spent plenty on it but no where near $50000. More like $10000 in 7 years. And don't forget "new' becomes "used" as soon as you sign the papers. Don't over rate the warranty.

I bought a new king ranch diesel 1 ton in 2011. I replaced it in 2016 with a new Platinum and in 2017 I sold the '16 and bought my current truck. I could sell my current truck truck today for $7000 less than what I paid for it. So since 2011 I've always been driving a fairly new fully loaded truck and the total amount I've spent on depreciation and repairs since January 2011 is $30,000. I likely could have bought a nice 2001 diesel back in 2011 for $20000 and today that truck would have another 160,000 miles on it and be worth maybe $5k. Assuming I could have got away with $1000 per year on repairs my total cost of depreciation and repairs driving an old truck for the past 9 years could have been $23000 instead of the $30,000 it has cost me to be driving a new truck. The other big cost of driving a new vehicle has been the opportunity cost of the extra money that I've had tied up in a truck. So maybe that has cost me another $25000. So I guess if I had saved my pennies and drove an old beater instead of driving splashy new trucks for the past 9 years I could be about $32000 wealthier today.
If a person can afford a new truck, why not. You get to drive new and new owners get a late model used truck.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Man, it costs to keep these RV's / Trucks and trailers on the road.

Having my transmission rebuilt this week in my 2500 diesel.

There goes another $2000....

I guess that's better than making big payments every month for a new one though.

Anyone spending any $$$$ on your rigs lately?

My GMC Duramax is 17 years old. That’s 74 in dog years same as me. Both of us need a bunch of repairs. Wish my truck had Medicare.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Someone said that used cost about as much as new. Nope, not the way I would do it. By "used" I mean used enough to cost half or less of a new one. In our case we purchased a 9 year old unit that cost around $80000 new for $23000. Only 20000 miles. In other words it had depreciated over $50000. We've spent plenty on it but no where near $50000. More like $10000 in 7 years. And don't forget "new' becomes "used" as soon as you sign the papers. Don't over rate the warranty.

I bought a new king ranch diesel 1 ton in 2011. I replaced it in 2016 with a new Platinum and in 2017 I sold the '16 and bought my current truck. I could sell my current truck truck today for $7000 less than what I paid for it. So since 2011 I've always been driving a fairly new fully loaded truck and the total amount I've spent on depreciation and repairs since January 2011 is $30,000. I likely could have bought a nice 2001 diesel back in 2011 for $20000 and today that truck would have another 160,000 miles on it and be worth maybe $5k. Assuming I could have got away with $1000 per year on repairs my total cost of depreciation and repairs driving an old truck for the past 9 years could have been $23000 instead of the $30,000 it has cost me to be driving a new truck. The other big cost of driving a new vehicle has been the opportunity cost of the extra money that I've had tied up in a truck. So maybe that has cost me another $25000. So I guess if I had saved my pennies and drove an old beater instead of driving splashy new trucks for the past 9 years I could be about $32000 wealthier today.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Don't over reach. Instead of a 10,000 pound trailer pulled by a 1/2 ton truck, I like a 5,000 pound trailer pulled by a one ton diesel.

I added a kicker motor on my fishing boat after the main engine lost power last fall. With two engines I can always get home.

Have to agree on both fronts: easiest towing is when the plow truck (F550) is going to a job towing the utility trailer with 2 snowblowers on it.

The 9.9 kicker pushing the boat back across a big lake last year was a godsend...even if the trip took 2-3 hours, it was better than going diving in 39 degree water to get to the impeller. Of course without knowing it, we picked up Mr. Murphy's friendly cousin about 1/2 way back: when we pulled the boat out of the water, all the crud in the impeller had fallen out.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2002 Ford is increasing in value.
I have owned my 2004 Jetcraft since 2008 and it has gone up in value about $3,500. Yamaha 115 is very dependable and I do my own maintenance. Same with 8hp Honda kicker.
All are paid for. Boat is stored in the yard. It is appreciating faster than the cost of ownership.
My 2013 Rockwood is a recent acquisition, but I have cleaned it up and added solar. It is worth a little more than I paid for it.
Buy smart and take care of your stuff. I pay cash with $100 bills.
The cost of ownership is nil.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Heck, I almost BOAT on the lawn-mowers pre-season and that was just for a couple replacement spindles, stack of bearings, blades and a few belts (and there's 2 belts I forgot to order, not sure how they haven't popped yet).
Nothing was wrong, per se, but spindles were getting sloppy, 1 cracked 1 spun a bearing and both are obsolete now. But at a new replacement cost of somewhere between $15-20k for 2 comparable mowers I can afford to stick a few bucks into these that I spent a total of $3100 on and have beat the snot out of for about 8 years now.
Now if one blows an engine or a hydro pump or motor it's going on craigslist for parts!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Since we are off topic, if your Sea Ray has either a 5.0 or the 350 MAG, there were certain years known to have problems with the exhaust manifolds. My Crownline with a 350 MAG was plagued with the issue - would blow through a gasket every 100 hours.

I was told that the Sierra replacement was of a higher quality (hard to believe). I sold that boat, new boat does not have the same issue.

It's a 1987 OMC 4.3 Cobra! The exhaust manifolds are NLA (no longer avaliable), thus the high cost of replacement as I had to buy a whole adapter kit to the new style manifolds.

Fun stuff owning a 30+ year old boat with an obsolete drive. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v