cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake controllers

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a brake controller for some time but recently bought a heavy 5er. I'm not sure how to adjust it for the new heavier load. The 5er is about 14,000 lbs.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
5 REPLIES 5

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
I've had a brake controller for some time but recently bought a heavy 5er. I'm not sure how to adjust it for the new heavier load. The 5er is about 14,000 lbs.

Adjust it the same way you did the first time for your first trailer. No trailers brake the same. So you have to set it to suit you.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's like using brakes on anything; adjust them until their level of stopping strength suits your needs.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Google the controller model. They have directions for setting them. Usually entails taking it to a large parking lot getting up to around 25mph and hitting the brakes and then adjusting based on the results.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go out to a big parking lot. Start with a low number, not max setting. Go 10 mph and use trial and error to turn it up to a number you like. Try some higher speeds. Done.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming that you have a factory controller and probably your only adjustment is the gain I start by testing it at low speeds in a safe place. Set it near max and go to about 5mph, apply just the trailer brakes with the control on the brake module and see if the trailer brakes lock up. Make adjustments and repeat until they will just lock up with the brakes fully applied then drive it and verify that with normal pedal pressure you are getting expected stopping. This all needs to be done with the trailer at normal weight and you will need to fine tune it if the weight changes significantly for any reason. You may want to try a panic stop at low speeds and see if you get good brake action on the trailer. It all comes down to trial and error to get what you are comfortable with and what gives you a rapid but controlled stop. Your truck may have other settings to adjust, my Ford has a setting for the initial effort as soon as I touch the brake pedal. Again, trial and error seems to be the best solution since there are so many variables. You want to end up with the truck stopping like the trailer isn't there. In other words, the trailer is stopping itself for the most part.