cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bracket to relocate jack

Cameramonkey
Explorer
Explorer
My truck got towed and they damaged the rear jack brackets. It got dragged up the flatbed and the bolts that hold the jacks got ripped out of the wood. I’d like to patch it up so I can take it off of the truck. Someone told me they used to sell relocation brackets that allow you to move the bolts lower down the frame and then attach the jack to this relocation bracket. This way you don’t have to repair the wood that was damaged, and just use a section of wood that isn’t damaged. Anyone know where I could get a pair of these or have an example of what they look like, so I can try and have some fabricated? Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
If the bolts are just ripped out of the wood, and the wood is not actually broken, get yourself some hardwood dowel that's larger than the ripped out hole. Drill the holes out to the size of the dowel. Glue the dowel in with plain old wood glue. Then you can re-drill the holes and reinstall the original bracket in its original location.

I would use epoxy well slathered in each hole with a small applicator. If you apply the epoxy only to the dowel it will not get enough perhaps inside. Best to apply to both damaged hole and to the dowel.

Regular wood glue will break down in moist conditions.

Do you have access to the inside where the bolts go? I ask because there is even a better option to repair and make stronger than ever.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the bolts are just ripped out of the wood, and the wood is not actually broken, get yourself some hardwood dowel that's larger than the ripped out hole. Drill the holes out to the size of the dowel. Glue the dowel in with plain old wood glue. Then you can re-drill the holes and reinstall the original bracket in its original location.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jacks typically slide in the bracket. Yours may be welded on. There is probably room to attach the bracket lower. If not, then you could use a piece of angle that is long enough to go from the bottom of the frame to the top.

I don't think it would be that big of problem if it isn't quite as strong. I know my heavy camper can be supported temporarily by 3 jacks. This happens when I'm lowering because there always seems to be back jack that lowers faster than the other.

However, I think I'd expect the tow company to cover it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member