cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank flush

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone connected a water hose connection to their outside shower and then connected the other end to the flush input for the black tank? This is something I'm planning on doing. Can't really flush the tank at the dump station since there is no hose connection. Even thinking about using Hot water to really flush the tank.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.
10 REPLIES 10

-Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
if your worried about it being dirty then throw a bad or two of ice in there and take it for a joy ride. that should scrap all the cr*p off the bottom. But really, your just going to sh*t on it the next time your go out.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC DRW auto
2008 AF 990
FS bags
Viair OBA
Rancho 9000XL's

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
i just completely fill the black tank full and dump like that several times a year....keep it simple.

i don't believe you need to do all of that fancy stuff with all of those connectors and hoses.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it several times to fill the tank to flush it after dumping when there was no water hook up. Pain in the butt dragging a hose into your RV though and you better have a shut off valve on the end of the hose so you don't have water all over your bathroom.

I now wait until I get to the next CG where there is hook ups and fill it and dump it a couple times there. Unless you have built up solids waiting till you have hookups and filling the tank up twice with water and dumping keeps it clean and free of debris.

They do make a wand that attaches to the end of a garden hose to use for just that purpose of hooking it up to a hose. It has a power nozzle on it which is stronger than just putting a hose down the tank to just fill it. And it comes with a shut off valve on the end of it so no water mess.

But be CAREFUL not to let it hit your sensors on the side.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-0184VP-Master-Blaster-Tank/dp/B000BGHYDO

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the low point drain and added a hose adaptor. The pressure is not the greatest . I have better luck pouring water down the into the tank and taking a drive to agitate it . I fill the tank to 50% and take a short ride.
Here is a pic of the hose adaptor .
( I don't have any pics of me driving , you're going to have visualize on that one 🙂 )

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
I do it all the time on my 5er. Heck of a lot easier than running yet another hose. I put a quick connect on it so I can still use the shower to wash down misc stuff. I don't use hot water as i don't think it will make that much difference but the option is there!

There is an inline check valve up under my sink before it goes into the black tank. If I had a concern of contamination I'd add a second one in the convenience center.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

-Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think it would do much, the flow isn't there. I black tank flush only 2-3 times per year.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC DRW auto
2008 AF 990
FS bags
Viair OBA
Rancho 9000XL's

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I do that when there is not a better alternative, but it doesn't have enough flow to do a very good job (I guess because of the small diameter hose and therefore diminished volume/flow). A direct connection with a 5/8" hose at the dump station does a much better job of cleaning the black tank. When there is not a hose connection at the dump station, it's better than nothing. I try to scope out the dump station while I'm camping and if I see it doesn't have a hose connection, I get an extra third tank in my fresh water tank while at my campsite.

I wouldn't think hot water would make any difference.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any issue with exposure of fresh water to black water? I know it has a check valve but if it went bad. I know people say not to use your same white city water hose on the tank flush so it seems like it's the same principle.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have not used it to flush the tank. But have used it when winterizing to pump antifreeze thru the black tank flush line. Don't see why you could not pump clean water thru it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've thought about doing something like that but I would skip using the shower. Just install a line with a valve and check valve in it between a hot water line and the tank flusher. On mine I could do the whole thing under the bathroom sink.
Then turn on the pump and hot water goes straight in.