cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike carrier

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who use a bike carrier on the rear bumper of your TT. What did you do to reenforce your bumper? Did you add a a receiver under the bumper welded to the frame? I’ve read plenty of posts of how the rear bumper isn’t strong enough to carry bikes so I’m looking for suggestions. No substitute for experience. Thanks for your help.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
19 REPLIES 19

Bears Den wrote:
rhagfo, I was looking at those, apparently they are so popular that on the sites I’ve looked at, they’re on back order. Just trying to see what other ideas people have. I can actually carry them in the bed of my truck but I’d have to figure out where to put other things that go in the bed when we camp.

My daughter was looking at them as well.... I was looking through marketplace and stumbled into someone selling a brand new one still in the box for 1/2 price..... Sent the money and UPS label for them to ship, 3 days later we had it...

Jack-It
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like everything else, it depends.
Number of bikes, size, weight, etc.
If you have a ladder on the back, you could hang a couple bikes off of a ladder mounted rack too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
One last note. I recommend keeping bikes locked whenever you are not on them. Betsy.
Betsy

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
For those of you who use a bike carrier on the rear bumper of your TT. What did you do to reenforce your bumper? Did you add a a receiver under the bumper welded to the frame? I’ve read plenty of posts of how the rear bumper isn’t strong enough to carry bikes so I’m looking for suggestions. No substitute for experience. Thanks for your help.

I cut off the factory bumper and mount.
Using 2" reciever tubing made a sliding rear rack with a 4" ID, 3/16" bumper and "stinger" tubing. Tubing is welded to the frame for about 24"
Used hitch pins to have two positions for the rear rack placement
welded on a 2" reciever tube to the bumper and a 1 1/2" reciever tube to the bumper
bike rack slides into the appropriate reciever.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front mounted hitch and a low mounted bike carrier was our solution. It's not perfect, it's scraped on occasion and it makes you that much longer so getting into tight spaces has required removing the rack on more than one occasion. However both rear mounted carriers and above the tank carriers have their own issues so like most things it's the compromises that work best for you.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your bumper will carry the weight if you reinforce where it attaches to the trailers frame.
In this pic, the piece of angle iron that is cut off at an angle, spans underneath the existing frame to the underside if the bumper itself and keeps the bumper from being able to rotate and tear lose.

I carried nearly 100# of bikes over 13 years with this setup and never had any problem after this mod. Before that I ripped this bumper off with just a couple of light bikes.

Note, I'm not responsible for the factory booger weld on the right!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
And also remember that some of the ones that split the hitch for towing and holding bikes can reduce you tow capacity by like 50 percent.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, got a little research to do.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0711YJ3TW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You can get an over the tailgate bike carrier. So, half the bike is in the bwd of the truck and the bikes ride upright. This leaves you with space in the truck bed also.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have bikes on the back of a trailer, do not use the bumper, have a hitch welded to the frame. Also, do not use a standard car type bike carrier, make sure you get one designed for trailers. They need to not be able to articulate, fixed position. I have a Yakima 4 bike rack designed for the back of a trailer. We mostly carry 3 bikes but have carried 4. Have never had a problem.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bumper brackets have never worried me when I’m behind a TT with them carrying a bicycle rack with bicycles. The lack of strength of the bumper does however. Note the reenforcement warning on this Amazon page.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a no weld alternative my son-in-law used a bolt on bumper brackets that worked out very well,these are the best on the market.

Like This One
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Frame mounted cargo rack. We carry a bike, sewer tote, spare tire, ladder and patio rug on it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch