cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best skylight shade

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
We're replacing the skylights in our trailer and the existing shade will no longer work with the new skylight. Can anybody recommend some good skylight shades including one that would work well in a bathroom? Our current bathroom skylight doesn't have a shade and it drives me nuts so I'd like to add one although I worry about the moisture and mildew growing on it. Thank you!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
1 Hard working hubby/daddy
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby
7 REPLIES 7

HumanFriendly01
Explorer
Explorer
Only guessing, but I would guess it would help a little, especially if there was something to hold it off the roof a little so there's some air under it. I would suggest exterior 90% snapon shade screens to stop the heat before it gets to the glass.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We buy used rv trailers and Unfortunately the damzed things are already installed in the trailer. All three rv trailers we've owned had at least one some where.
The first thing I did was buy a jug of white elastomeric product like Kool Seal and put several coats over the outside of them. Cuts the summer heat and not so noisy in a hard rain/hail storm.
I use ethafoam cut to fit snugly up inside and use a couple of strings like in the the pictures to hold it in place. However I didn't add strings to our current rv trailer and it falls out while in transit but stays in while in otherwise.
Maybe someday I'll have the money to order new a rv trailer but a skylight will not be on the roof. Too much heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer for my use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure if you are asking about a 14 x 14" square crank up vent skylight or the skylight in the shower?

My wife made pop in cushions for both. We install them when we are not using the shower or the roof vent.

These help keep the sun heat out and heat in in cold weather. They also help cut down the sun UV rays that turn ABS plastic showers yellow over the years. See pics below. I cut the foam she bought at Joann's Fabric store, and she did the material sewing part.

Here is he crank up vent. This is not the bath one, but we have 3 of these vents and the material is different on each to match the room better.

Here is the shower dome one. This was a little more involved as the dome is curved and we cut the foam on an angle to fit up into the curved part. The\n used 1/8" shock cord to hold it in place. The shock cord, unhook on one end and then we move it still attached as the other end and fling it outside the shower.

Cushion hooked in place.

Cushion cut on an angle

The shock cord part and clips less the cushion

The clip is a nylon 1 hole electrical strap with part of the strap cut off so the shock cord and slip onto the clip.

Hope this helps.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I put a reflective film on the inside of our skylight over the shower. Was surprised by how much it blocked out but still allows light in. Kinda tough to install overhead but I managed. Use Camco smoke vent covers and depending on the day, I will put a couple vent pillows in for added benefit.

Explorer II
Explorer II
HERE are some ideas for the shower skylight.

I removed the inner bubble and covered it with a brown towel. That works well but after about 5 years it looks like it needs replacing. I might try painting it next. I don't want to block out all the light, just reduce some heat
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous unit had shades but were installed from the factory. Our current Class C has 3 skylights, and while we love them, when we camp in super hot or desert areas, we need to cover them due to the amount of heat they let in.

We found that Camco brand skylight cover / vent insulator, part number 45195, work great and insulate at the same time. 2 of the 3 we have, have sunshade material on one side to reflect heat. We got ours at Menards, but I see you can get them at Wamart, Amazon, Camping World, etc. I have seen prices from $12 to $20 each. They are about 2 or 3 inches thick, and use friction to stay in place.

I know its not exaclty a shade, but for us it works great to reflect heat/light when we don't want it.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Whatโ€™s a skylight shade?