cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Sealant to re-seal RV side hatch covers etc.

SuaveGato
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on what I should use to reseal the fixtures on the side of my camper? I.E. the outdoor shower fixture where it mates with the camper skin. Factory sealant is now shrunk and pulling away slightly, need to re-seal it

Don't think the self-leveling is good for vertical application? Should I just use silicone caulk or is there a specific formula or brand that holds up best to the Sun, temperature etc.?

Thanks
2015 Chevy Silverado HD 3500, 4x4, Diesel, crew-cab, long-bed.
2019 Arctic Fox 990
9 REPLIES 9

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
In my opinion, any kind of caulk is for touching up around the edges. If removing the item, clean off all the old stuff and apply butyl tape. You know it's sealed when the stuff squeezes out when re-installing. For a neat look, scrape away the excess and run a bead of Dicor; but it's not necessary to make it water tight.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you should have no problem using either. BTW, I gave up on Geocel. Twice I had tubes that were probably too old and the geocel would not adhere or set up properly. I had ordered those tubes from two different vendors over a year apart.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northwoods/Arctic Fox uses Dicor self leveling on the roof and Geocel on vertical surfaces.

SuaveGato
Explorer
Explorer
I have pictures that are worth a Thousand words but I can't seem to post them, anyone have any help on how I can post them? I read the FAQ and HELP and can't get it to work!? ????? Thanks
2019 Arctic Fox 990

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check with Northwood tech support. If they used silicone, Dicor and other similar and more permanent sealants will not stick if any trace of the silicone remains. Hopefully they did not use silicone. They might have used clear Geocel.

SuaveGato
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses everyone. To address a few of your questions, YES, I absolutely plan on removing the hatches, cleaning and removing all of the old sealant and reinstalling with new. I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon and certainly don't want any leaks!

It appears to me that the factory (Northwood Manufacturing - Arctic Fox Truck Camper 990) has used a clear silicone to seal some of these hatches? Some of the other vertical items appear to have a white non-hardening caulking of some kind though? Anyway, it's the ones that appear to be silicone that I am needing to fix as the sealant is cracking...

I have pix but can't seem to get them to post here... ?

Thank you.
2019 Arctic Fox 990

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not use silicone caulking from the local hardware or home center store. Dicor is one of the best and most available caulks although you will probably not find it in local stores. For vertical application you need the non-sag formulation.

If you do a decent job of surface prep including removal of the old dried up caulk, the dicor should last for decades of use and often for the life of the RV.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just planning on smearing some around the outside, use whatever is cheapest - it won't last very long regardless. If you are going to remove it, clean it up, and seal it under the flanges, then I'd use a good polyurethane or polyether marine caulk. Then you won't have to do it again next year, or for the next 10 at least.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve used Dicor non leveling and iirc I used quad seal in certain places. I wouldn’t use silicone. It’s a lot of work to detail an rv but the nice neat look is great