Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best portable generators advise I have seen for years

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
HERE IT IS

We talk a lot about generator safety, when lot of members tend to downplay it, so here are some statistics.
So when you think about converting your propane generator to aftermarket gasoline generator, or add portable generator in your storage compartment - consider those things.

-Carbon monoxide poisoning sends more than 20,000 people to the emergency room each year, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
-A 2012 CPSC report showed that portable generators were linked to more than 85 percent of non-fire carbon monoxide deaths associated with engine-driven tools between 1999 to 2012, and that many of those deaths were associated with Hurricane Katrina.
-
28 REPLIES 28

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Laughing...This falls right in with catalytic heaters..They are safe if used properly....

So is using open flame over bucket of gasoline.
But consider the penalty for misuse.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t think the dog knew what to do when the CO detector went off, but it seems like a person did.

People have died from CO in a car, too. Sometimes on purpose ... sometimes not. Usually in a garage.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Laughing...This falls right in with catalytic heaters..They are safe if used properly..Anyone who has ever installed or read there Onan owners manual will see a part that says... ONLY YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF FROM CO POISONING..

I totally agree.

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Laughing...This falls right in with catalytic heaters..They are safe if used properly..Anyone who has ever installed or read there Onan owners manual will see a part that says...ONLY YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF FROM CO POISONING..

Like the car exhaust,don't leave your window down if the winds blowing that way and check the exhaust for leaks etc..Factory installed generators are safe if used correctly as are Wave catalytic heaters..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

I witnessed it almost kill a dog a few years back on a big 5th wheel toy hauler. The built-in generator was running, exhaust was going right in the side window, and when they came back from lunch the dog was unresponsive on the floor.

😞
Kenny

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
specta wrote:
How many people have died from the exhaust from factory installed generators?

I witnessed it almost kill a dog a few years back on a big 5th wheel toy hauler. The built-in generator was running, exhaust was going right in the side window, and when they came back from lunch the dog was unresponsive on the floor.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
specta wrote:
...I don't see any difference in a factory installed generator in a TT, 5th wheel or TC. I'm sure everything would apply equally to each RV.

Sounds like you never had a chance to compare?
Generators on trailers are mounted low to the ground and can have long exhaust pipes that will direct exhaust long way from door and windows.
Such setup is not possible on TC.

How many people have died from the exhaust from factory installed generators?
Kenny

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
Wind changes make any positioning of a gen set problematic and where common sense says..Move it..LOL

Your common sense will pass out from CO poisoning long before it tells you to move the generator.

People think that if they gob enough silicone around that they're being "safe."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Generators on trailers are mounted low to the ground and can have long exhaust pipes that will direct exhaust long way from door and windows.

Usually on a TC the gen set is at the rear of the TC away from seating and windows..There are exceptions..

On Class C motorhomes,I had one Onan 4000 right under the dinette window with the exhaust even with the skin of the unit..It was almost centered from front to rear..On another Class C it was under the rear door with the exhaust aimed to the rear under the bathroom..

You are referring to people mounting a Honda(example) in a sealed generator compartment of a TC with the exhaust piped out and away from the TC used as a factory install would be...Some have converted to propane on there honda just for that...

I see nothing at all wrong with that,you do so I guess we agree to disagree..It is no different than putting your portable gen set under the TC to keep it out of the rain in IMHO..Wind changes make any positioning of a gen set problematic and where common sense says..Move it..LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
...I don't see any difference in a factory installed generator in a TT, 5th wheel or TC. I'm sure everything would apply equally to each RV.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

We talk a lot about generator safety, when lot of members tend to downplay it, so here are some statistics.
-

Members in this forum "downplay" generator safety?!? I think it is the other way - this forum is like a "Safety Sam" place where everyone reviews every safety rule for everything all the time.

Nothing wrong with that, but it just gets tiresome when in every thread someone will review the "safety guidelines" for installing that toothbrush holder. Or a generator.

Of course, after making that response, I certainly do agree with some people here about how it seems "common sense" is not so common anymore and safety rules should be reviewed constantly.

I need another cup of scalding hot coffee....

specta
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:

My gasoline generator was factory installed with all of the proper techniques and it works great. I do use a Genturi to get the exhaust up and away when I use the generator for any length of time other than just monthly maintenance runs. I want that exhaust up and away from me as well as other campers near me. My CO detectors (2) are all in working order and current as well.

What camper has factory gas generator?
I know that Venturi vertical pipe is the only good way to go, but for "some" reasons it is not getting popularity.
Any pictures?

I apologize for my comment about my factory installed gasoline generator. I do have one, but it is in a 5th wheel not a TC. I should not have posted this comment here. I do love my gas generator however.

No need to apologize. I don't see any difference in a factory installed generator in a TT, 5th wheel or TC. I'm sure everything would apply equally to each RV.
Kenny

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:

My gasoline generator was factory installed with all of the proper techniques and it works great. I do use a Genturi to get the exhaust up and away when I use the generator for any length of time other than just monthly maintenance runs. I want that exhaust up and away from me as well as other campers near me. My CO detectors (2) are all in working order and current as well.

What camper has factory gas generator?
I know that Venturi vertical pipe is the only good way to go, but for "some" reasons it is not getting popularity.
Any pictures?

I apologize for my comment about my factory installed gasoline generator. I do have one, but it is in a 5th wheel not a TC. I should not have posted this comment here. I do love my gas generator however.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
CO is heavier than air, so never camp in a tent, or nap on the ground with running gens around.

Sorry, need to make a small correction. CO is almost the same weight as air (28 vs 28.84) and will mix evenly with air. It is just as deadly in a tent as it is in the TC overcab bed.

Propane (44) is heavier than air and will settle to the ground or floor.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB