cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best LIGHTWEIGHT trailers...... GO!

mtellier
Explorer
Explorer
Tow vehicle is a 2015 F150 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 2.7L Eco Boost motor. I am looking for the biggest/best lightweight travel trailer I can find. I am willing to do some mods to my truck in order to tow a little over the GVWRโ€™s. Thank you all in advance!
29 REPLIES 29

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at Winnie,at least on line. I love mine. it would be big for you, but I know they make some nice lite wt. trailers. Most anything 25 ft. and under will do. Shop and compare
Bobby

Sweedish15
Explorer
Explorer
Typical forum responses. This is why people don't like forums. A simple question leads to a bunch of criticisms and useless answers. It's always the same whether it's guns, trucks, campers etc.

For me, I have access to and regularly use a Forrest river micro lite 23lb. It's not the cheapest of the light weight trailers and it's not the most expensive. For the cost it seems to have come with some of the nicer features, and has required no warranty work after two years. The finish is holding up well after sitting in the Florida sun for two years. I would recommend it but I'm sure someone will chime in with how horrible Forrest river products are.....whatever.

By everyone's standards on this site you can't tow a lawn trailer with a half ton truck. I have a half ton truck and don't plan on changing. I owned a 3/4 ton before and I would not go back for the type of driving I do. Trucks are expensive enough and people seem to think "just change trucks" which is not a viable option for most.

Do your own research on your trucks towing capabilities and decide on your own comfort level. Be realistic. Personally I don't want to be at the max ability of the truck.....even though I've recently been considering it.

For half ton trucks that seems to put us at a general maximum length 25ish ft plus or minus a few. I'm also in the market for a new model and am leary of anything with a dry weight of over 5000 lbs. and won't go over a trailer max capacity of 6500 lbs.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Camplite by Livin Lite:

Web Page

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that why he said Thank You after my comment?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
The OP is looking for advice on a lite travel trailer, not advice about a tow vehicle. :S

Surveyors are fairly light.

The OP brought up the truck and modifications to the truck so the truck related comments are on topic.

You have to build a foundation before constructing a building. In order to advise on a trailer the capabilities of the truck should be established first so the OP doesn't deceive himself.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The max cargo is derived from a number of issues. The engineers derived these numbers from the various accessories, engine and power train.

I suppose if one really wanted too, you could turn it into a copy of Ford's Big Foot.

My point is, adding an upgrade or two may improve the ride but it does not change the truck's basics.

I find the biggest drawback to my "Lite" TT is the inability to walk on the roof. I would imagine they have corrected that by now.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno about that axle statement. I was recently surprised to see the variety of different GAWR for F150s. However, almost all of them have the same axle. It appears the GAWR is based off some other component: springs, brakes, wheels, tires, etc. All of which can be upgraded.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The OP stated he was willing to do mods on the TV to increase the weight rating.

I pointed out there are things you can do the improve the drive and handling but you are stuck with the frame and axel ratings.

As for the best light weight TT, it is like the best dog or best shotgun etc. it depends on what you are going to do.

I love my Dutchmen Lite, we have towed it over 30,000 miles in 4 years. But I would not take it off road, winter camping, or non-electric camping for any length of time. There are better TTs that are designed for that type of usage.

You have to know what your camping goals are then pick the equipment that allows you to do that.

I would say the average run of the mill TT is designed for the family of four to take with these three options in mind. 1. A full hook up KOA or other such campground for a week or two. 2. Park to park travel every few days, knowing you will dump tanks when leaving. 3. Weekend or other short term adventures throughout the summer with electric.

As Handye9 pointed out floor plan trumps all else. It is there no matter what other mods you make or add.

Perhaps the OP can give us an idea of their camping goals.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œHelp maybe but clearly this is how the world turns thee days.โ€

OP makes it close to impossible to suggest any TT when he wonโ€™t reveal...for a reason known only to him...the capacities of his truck other than engine size. No GVWR, no payload, no weight he will carry in the truck, no usual number of persons and pets camping with him, whether he wIll use RV parks or boondock. Yet itโ€™s โ€œ...how the world turns...โ€ and itโ€™s our fault. Baloney!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We need more information, as already mentioned. What is the towing capacity of your truck? Payload? Number of people? Typical miles towed to campground?

With more information, we can give you better choices.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The one that is paid for...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Mine!
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Whats your max payload rating per door sticker and whats your tow rating?
There's a plethora of light weight TT's on the market but there's also too many variables to even begin to give you an answer.
Without knowing your trucks specs then if you want the best it would be a small Airstream. It's not the biggest but it's probably the best.
Next would be a Lance. It's not the best or the biggest but it comes in sizes and weights that would match your truck.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The answer to your question is really much more complex than what may appear to you. Every brand of camper brags about being "lite". But, "lite" compared to what? And where is the limit on the over all weight you can comfortably pull under extreme conditions. Yes, "extreme conditions". Any vehicle can pull just about anything, but when the conditions are less than favorable, some vehicles pull some trailers much more comfortable.

What is "best" and "good" for one person may be absolute trash for someone else. The length of a camper across different brands may be vastly different in weight, and the same floor plan across different brands may appear the same, but when you add color, fabric, flooring, and the actual materials used, one camper, identical floor plan, to another camper, may appear to be totally awful.

Then there is head room, flat ceilings, and arched ceilings, 30 pound propane tanks or 20 pounders. Holding tanks have different sizes. A gigantic trailer may have only a 32 gallon fresh water tank, a little bitty one may have a 50 gallon tank. Add water and the weights of the over all camper change drastically.

And as stated above, not knowing what type of camping you intend to do (boomdock, State Forests, State Parks, Private, or permanently placed-seasonal), mountains, ocean, or prairies, Northern States, Alaska, or Florida, all will make a really great working camper in one region of the country completely suck in another.

Lots and lots of factors to consider.

Every brand is "best" ... otherwise they would not sell. Every brand has problems. And every brand requires diligent maintenance and upkeep on them if you plan on keeping them for longevity sake. They take work and effort to maintain, ... all of them, otherwise, they become junk REAL fast.

What you really need to do is get out and visit RV dealerships and visit RV shows and start window shopping. Your experiences are like a blank notebook right now, you need to start filling in the pages for what kind of campers peak your interest. THEN ... you begin to have an idea what you like, and THEN posting those choices and asking for opinions and advise on them, well ... we all can give you our "wonderful and expert" advise! ๐Ÿ™‚