cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Fridge Type

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2-way and 3-way fridges for years. I need to replace out discontinued Atwood unit that is a headache, and have been reading about the 12V compressor fridges. We are 99% RV Park type folks, only time we are boondocking is for an occasional overnight stop at Walmart, and even then I have a generator.

The 12V units seem to be more economical and larger for the same size cutout than the 2 way units, downside being they can drain the battery when not hooked up to shore power.

We have a 15 year old travel trailer and have no desire to go Lithium, so would a 12V be advisable for travel and being plugged into shore power. Brand preference or brand to stay away from? I donโ€™t want the Atwood โ€œno longer supportedโ€ headache I have now.
29 REPLIES 29

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
trailer_newbe wrote:
Norcold has already discontinued production of the gas/elec fridges and Dometic will be next. Within a year or so you wonโ€™t be able to order a new trailer with a gas/electric fridge and the already new-built ones on the lot have mostly gone 12V. A 13 C.I. 12V can run on duel batteries all night and all day. Usually about an hour charge from solar or a generator is all thatโ€™s needed to get through the whole day, then one more charge in the evening.

Once new inventory runs out on the gas/electric expect on-line replacement prices to skyrocket. Not a fan of 12V myself but they are getting better and reality is that is where the market is going.

Norcold only has stopped producing Absorbtion fridges in the US, Ohio to be specific. They moved production out of the US, not unlike 100's if not 1000's of other Corporations have done over the last couple/3 years due to the econimc climate in the US. The Absorbtion fridge is not going away. You know Norcold was owned by Thetford, a British Corporation, and they were bought out by an investment firm (holding Co) in 2021.

RV manufacturers use the 12V compressor fridges because A, They're cheaper to buy and B, They have a significant labor and material savings, as well as a time savings, on the production line. They dont need to install wall or roof vents, build a cavity in a configuration for airflow, provide a gas line, etc. You could order a 2024 Rockwood tomorrow and get the Absorbtion Fridge option. You can do the same with most other brands be they Forest River / Thor / Winny / anyone.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
The propane/electric refrigerators are going away and in just a few years will likely not be available in new RVโ€™s. Norcold has shut down their manufacturing of this type of refrigerator and Dometic will follow. Get used to 12V refrigerators be it good or bad will soon be all you can get.

will be a shame for boondockers. Seems like trailer mfg are assuming everyone camps with at least power hookups. we often camp for two week with NO power, remote water. So far the propane fridge works great for us. Along with some solar the only time we ever need the generator is for a rare day when it is hot enough to want to use the AC.

Other than that solar keeps us charged up enough to still use all the lights we want, microwave for frozen veggies, etc. portable ice maker for drinks, and furnace when needed.

But for those with hookups I agree, a compressor fridge is the way to go. More room, quicker cool down, colder freezer

You have a absorption ice maker?

Other than the people that want new RV every couple years, we should be able to use the absorption fridges we have for a long time. No moving parts, not much to wear out. The one in my camper is over 25, and works fine.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Norcold has already discontinued production of the gas/elec fridges and Dometic will be next. Within a year or so you wonโ€™t be able to order a new trailer with a gas/electric fridge and the already new-built ones on the lot have mostly gone 12V. A 13 C.I. 12V can run on duel batteries all night and all day. Usually about an hour charge from solar or a generator is all thatโ€™s needed to get through the whole day, then one more charge in the evening.

Once new inventory runs out on the gas/electric expect on-line replacement prices to skyrocket. Not a fan of 12V myself but they are getting better and reality is that is where the market is going.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
The propane/electric refrigerators are going away and in just a few years will likely not be available in new RVโ€™s. Norcold has shut down their manufacturing of this type of refrigerator and Dometic will follow. Get used to 12V refrigerators be it good or bad will soon be all you can get.

will be a shame for boondockers. Seems like trailer mfg are assuming everyone camps with at least power hookups. we often camp for two week with NO power, remote water. So far the propane fridge works great for us. Along with some solar the only time we ever need the generator is for a rare day when it is hot enough to want to use the AC.

Other than that solar keeps us charged up enough to still use all the lights we want, microwave for frozen veggies, etc. portable ice maker for drinks, and furnace when needed.

But for those with hookups I agree, a compressor fridge is the way to go. More room, quicker cool down, colder freezer
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absorption refrigerators don't seem to do very well in the hotter southern summers, unlike compressor units. However they are less power hungry, especially when run on propane. Compressor units have been used for years in the boating industry and newer models seem to be getting a lot more energy efficient. As others have said, they're probably the wave of the future in the RV industry (thankfully!).

If you intend to camp in the south in the summer you really need to look at the compressor units.

If most of your camping is in RV parks with hookups, then the compressor unit is probably the best way to go.

If you boondock a bit the compressor can be a tough call, unless you have a good battery bank and possibly solar.

If you go the solar route then best to look into something like Lithium-Ion for batteries. A second alternator on the engine for a quick recharge is probably a good idea too, especially if your coach batteries are Lithium-Ion. Solar with flooded cells is pretty much a gimmick since it's almost impossible to get the batteries fully recharged and without a daily full recharge. You'll be running the refrigerator during the day on the surface charge so they'll deplete faster with each day.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as it is propane/120v, I will be happy. If it happens to be propane/12v/120v, that is fine. I will just never run it solely on 12v.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really like my 120v fridge. We have always camped with hookups, there just isn't much boondocking in the southeast. With 2 6v GC2 batteries we have done 12 hours on the road with no issues.
It cools really quickly, we can't keep the camper at the house (HOA) so we bring the camper to the house the night before we leave and load that night. The fridge is cold in a couple of hours.
Honestly, the fact it is not made by an RV parts supplier gives me more confidence in the fridge. I keep reading about issues with the Furrion fridge with the controls acting up, and the doors coming open in travel. You would think an RV fridge manufacturer would know they bounce around and the doors need to be secured.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer has a 12v fridge. We just camped 3 days 2 nights with one group 24 battery. It has a solar panel, but we were under trees.

However, my last trailer had an absorption fridge that is still flawless after almost 20 years, and could run most of the summer on a 30lb propane tank a little 12v juice.

My new Furrion 12v fridge makes quite a bit of noise when it periodically kicks on.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
They work awesome but they suck down the battery when boondocking

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our latest fridge came with 12v compressor fridge. So far with 3yrs loving it:
- Easily 50% more interior space for the same cabinet space.
- Cools much more quickly (both on start up and when you put food in after shopping).
- Only draws about 50w when running (4amps@12v) and it doesn't run all the time.
- We have 2 - standard 12 batteries and it easily handles an overnight. If you want multiple days, solar can get you there but since we only boondock occasionally, charging from the truck while driving or running the generator for a couple hours does the trick.
- I wouldn't worry too much about getting parts. 12v compressor fridges are becoming the standard on new RVs, so if anything in 10yrs,absorption fridges will be more likely to have issues finding parts as they fade away.

A residential 120v AC fridge would be an option but then you need an inverter to run it while not connected to shore power.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
May want to consider a residential fridge that would fit in the space. The area already has a 120-volt outlet there that you could change the power source to an inverter. If you all your time in shore power or generator a inverter and a good battery will carry you between hook ups. Fridge will be much cheaper, and you will not have to run a heavy gauge wire for a 12-volt unit.
I have a 120 unit in my cabin that runs off an inverter, battery and solar, have had propane in campers for years and just got a camper with a 12 volt. The new camper has 2 group 31 batteries charged by 2 190-watt solar panels anthe fridge has been running in the driveway for 6 days now.
In your case I would probably put in a propane unit. No changing wiring or running new stuff. Just install and go.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
From what I have seen and heard, the newer 12V compressor models are the way to go. Especially if you don't boondock a lot. Just the increased cubic capacity and ditching all the issues that come with a Propane unit make it a winner for me. Most of the new TT's are equipped with these. Most are Norcold with service and parts readily available.
2010 Suncruiser

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
20 years and zero issues with any of the propane/120 Dometics we have had and they have the added bonus of having a backup system. No large draw from the batteries and it does not use much propane either. I may be a dinosaur but the only enemy of absorption reefers is the folks that own them. If you keep the flue and airway clear of webs and nests a unit will last a very long time. And perform well as long as it is not in a slide. JMHO.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got a Dometic 12V fridge. It runs, but must have a special guage wire for it to run properly. Also, if something goes wrong, you might as well pray, cause you cannot get parts for it. I believe my thermostat is faulty, but can not get one unless I fork over $170 and wait 6 months. It runs well as long as it is on maximum setting. I am assuming all units that you look at that are made in China will have the same problem They are interested in selling them, but don't want to supply parts so one can repair it.