cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Berrings

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so i had to get bigger brakes for the TT as they didnt make my 1.75 inch ones anymore. So i had to replace everything to 2.25 inches. Now , and i know i should have mesured and checked before hand, but will my old bearings be the same size as the new ones. I went to check the numbers on the old ones, but there was non written on them. Why i ask , is i was thinking of saving the old ones just in case and throwing them in the camper. Or is this a moot point because i dont have the races etc to go with them.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.
8 REPLIES 8

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Your probably right on that one, just hate to throw stuff out if it can be used. Oh well.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
For the price of new bearings, I'd just buy a new matching set, for just in case, rather than used ones, already worn to previous races. You could pack the new set, keep clean in plastic bags.

Jerry

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If whoever you bought the drums from said they will work with your axles, then the bearings have to be the same size. Unless you needed new bearings too and they forgot to tell you that....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Well that’s a serious bummer that your brake setup is/was outdated.
In my experience I think most all 3500lb axles I’ve worked on had the same size bearings but it’s been a while since I’ve had any apart.
You do have the new part numbers or measurements, correct?
The OD of the races can be had off the specs on your new hub assembly. And the ID I’d the same as your old spindles.
Either way, if looking for a spare set, I’d just match up your new sizes( same or not) and get a new set, for 1 wheel. 1 inner, 1 outer, 1 seal. Parts are cheap enough. And it’s for an emergency replacement which if it ever happens is most likely going to be 1 wheel.
Good luck
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, i had to get new drum assemblys also. The al co axel ( i think thats what it was) was bought out by dexter and stopped making the parts. I could find some stuff but not the magnets and pads. So the axel is the same, but the drum size is not. I might just pull the old ones and save them, they really dont take up a lot of space. Sad part is the TT is only 9 years old. I'm going with the breaks were undersized and to aviod future problems they make you replace the whole thing.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you get a new drums? What size? I am thinking whatever you had can be found even if it was from the 1950s.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think brake size would effect size of axle bearings. Did you change axles? What size axle do you have?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Reusing bearings isn't something I consider doing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad