cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bearings packed

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what it costs in your area to get double axle trailer bearings packed. I am in New England so especially interested in northeast cost. Not talking repairs to brakes, just a straight up pack the bearings change the seals.
48 REPLIES 48

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, this has been fun......I've packed my bearings all my RV life and during the time I worked at my dad's RV shop. I think it takes about 45 minutes to an hour a hub to:
1. Jack it up and place safety stands
2. Remove wheel, hub, bearings and clean.
3. Grease and reassemble w/new seals
4. Adjust play and remove jack and stands.

I'd say it's a 1/2 day job. I've alwasy had a place to do this type work, so I can. Not everyone has this option so, to find someone you trust to do a good job that charges a c-note per wheel doesn't really seem that out of line.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Quality in the RV industry is almost non-extant. From new units to repairs. We have a new RV made by Forest River. incomplete construction list is endless. The industry needs an independent agency that has teeth.

Happy Camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
It seems the OP found someone to do his bearing service at a good price.

To ken56 above, that is a bit overpriced, IMO! However, if you don't want to do it, and the person doing it has a great reputation for quality work, it is worth it to you.

I use going to the dentist, as a comparison, for paying too much for a service done. Just a filling can be $500, and a crown easily 1K+, for just an hours work! So, who isn't happy, after getting a tooth repaired?? I have never said "I wished I wouldn't have gotten that tooth fixed".

Hope no dentists on these forums, but just giving my tip for justification, for maybe spending too much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Years back guy I knew from the bar was witching about how much it was going to cost to put timing chain in his small block Chevy. We agreed on price, I gathered up tools I would need, got on bicycle went to where he left car. Popped distributer cap of to rotate engine to TDC while timing mark was still visible. Saw the condenser mounting screw was missing. Dropped a dime "You want a new timing chain? Or do you want it to run?" Had it running within 30 minutes of getting to car, including trip to auto parts store. Put bike and tools in car for trip to where he was, charge 1/2 what we agreed to. He "What was wrong, for the quick fix?" Me "Who told you timing chain? The condenser was not grounded." He, "Acted just like last car that needed chain. YOU GOING TO CHARGE THAT MUCH JUST TO PUT SCREW IN?" Your not paying for what I did, your paying for what I know"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ken56 wrote:
Just paid 100 bucks a wheel to have mine done. To me it's worth it even though I COULD do it myself I DON'T WANT TO DO IT MYSELF. They checked the brake pads and current going to the magnets and made sure they were operating properly. Well worth the money I paid I feel.

Good for you. And thank you for this insightful post in a dead thread.
But why are you yelling? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It seems the OP found someone to do his bearing service at a good price.

To ken56 above, that is a bit overpriced, IMO! However, if you don't want to do it, and the person doing it has a great reputation for quality work, it is worth it to you.

I use going to the dentist, as a comparison, for paying too much for a service done. Just a filling can be $500, and a crown easily 1K+, for just an hours work! So, who isn't happy, after getting a tooth repaired?? I have never said "I wished I wouldn't have gotten that tooth fixed".

Hope no dentists on these forums, but just giving my tip for justification, for maybe spending too much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Just paid 100 bucks a wheel to have mine done. To me it's worth it even though I COULD do it myself I DON'T WANT TO DO IT MYSELF. They checked the brake pads and current going to the magnets and made sure they were operating properly. Well worth the money I paid I feel.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Found someone that will do it for $200 plus seals. He maintains a fleet of vehicles (ambulances, medical pickup business) and does cashies. He just did bearings on 3 snow mobile trailers so he knows the drill.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
hey you know what? I just wanted a few thoughts not a full out Donnybrook! I appreciate the people with hands on knowledge and their input. Interesting post about containers. I think I will invest in a floor jack and do it myself. Last time I went cross country and back and the down south without issues so I musta dun good!Would be nice to know bearing sizes before hand just in case I need replacement.

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Here in So Cal, Irwindale, they quoted me 575 for a claen and re pack of 2 axle 5200 pound. I do my own. one at a time.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Perzactly!
Pack the bearings, smear some extra grease in the hub/spindle cavity and let er buck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
At my job we had 10,000 sea going container chassis at our terminal. About half were grease packed. The wheels/hubs would get pulled, new brakes installed,( maybe a brake drum if it was cracked or scored) bearings washed in solvent and inspected ,bearings packed by this handy press mounted to the top of a grease barrel and the hub filled about half way. Maybe one bearing failure a year. Maybe one axle removed and sent to the machine shop to be repaired. Out of 5K units.
You guys are overthinking this.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
If any of you have used the Easy Lube system "as designed" and taken your hubs off after towing, you will see the grease is right where you left it. And it's a frickin mess. You need very little great to properly lubricate a tapered roller bearing. Automotive history shows it's true. But hey, if you like buying grease, have at it.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Scooby, youโ€™re basically arguing with yourself at this pointโ€ฆ. Amazing the lengths some here go to, to disagree with about everything.
Oh wellโ€ฆif it makes you happy thatโ€™s the important part.

You suggest the use of common sense, but then mention things that common sense tells me ain't happening.
Nobody should take what I say as 100% true, with no other thought. But that should apply to you, and any other expert.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
I must be a one man pit crew then. It takes me just a little over an hour to do my two axle trailer.

"a little over an hour" is billed as TWO hours...

But in his lightning fast nascar diy 16minute wheel bearing service heโ€™s saving the other 56 precious minutes of that second hour.
The more I think about this, the more laughable it becomesโ€ฆ.

So Grit dog, what is so funny.
I'm curious.