cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Theft...

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I went to hitch up my trailer the other day, and discovered that someone had stolen my battery right out of the box. Fortunately, I had it disconnected, so they didn't do a slashing grab. $128 later I was on my way.

I'm interested in knowing how the rest of y'all secure your batteries. I did a search, but didn't come up with anything. Amazon only has one thing available. It seems to me there should be some options.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
45 REPLIES 45

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
I moved my battery behind the front cross member under the trailer. Out of site, out of mind.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
My TT sits in a storage lot.

Installed one of these. Expensive but worth it to me.

http://www.rvlockbox.com/#about-section

Bedlam
Here's a link to my install a couple of years ago:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27973839/gotomsg/28316981.cfm#28316981

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am saying you can do it.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if this is still a followable thread or not. I wanted to give a partial update. Today, my PowerArmor Battery Box from Torklift was delivered by FedEx. For those who may not remember, Torklift read my original post and reached out to me offering a complimentary PowerArmor. I am excited to get it installed so I can stop removing and locking up the battery time every time I park at the lot. I'll post again to talk about how the install goes. It seems pretty straight forward, but I am no handyman, so I'm not taking any bets.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:
A piece of transport chain and a lock around the box, tight, so it's a ***** to get off for water check.

For propane tanks I drilled a hole in the wing nut and pad lock it to the tank hold down bar. Vice grips could still back off the threaded rod maybe? Someday when the tanks are off I could spot weld the rod to the base.

I did the same thing to my tanks.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the battery lock. No lock will absolutely prevent theft but as we know thieves are opportunistic so if my camper is a little better secured than the guy's next door to me I figure I have the better odds.

We live in a subdivision so we have to store our camper at a storage lot. First our batteries were stolen, and then on a separate occasion our propane tanks. Needless to say we store the camper at a different lot now and between the new location and the battery lock, no issues for the past five years.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I live on the back side of a 20 acre corn field, all my neighbors have some sort of back stop in their yards. Shooting is a pleasant pastime for many of us in the country. That is why we live here with the mice, bugs, 'possums, raccoons and other critters.

We park our TT next to a small pole barn and yes, it is two miles to the nearest store and eight miles to town and we lose power about three times a year.

The strange thing is my area is zoned Agriculture and Residential because I am just outside of the city limits.

Fortunately theft is a rare happening in my neighborhood.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
I got a personal message from Torklift. They read my post on the forum, and are giving me one of their PowerArmor boxes in exchange for my evaluation and review of the product. It looks like it will really keep my battery secure. As an added bonus, it has a solar panel built into it that maintains the battery. I'll post once I get it and have used it for a while to let you know what I think of it.

PowerArmor

dang thats awesome of them....be sure to let us know how it works so we can give them props.

I live down a 1/4 mile dead end driveway on a 4th generation farm way out in the boonies, I do alot of shooting at things, so anybody that lives within ear shot is a little scared to come to my farm.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

schoonod
Explorer
Explorer
I never have had a battery stolen. Have had my propane tanks with the regular taken while my trailer was stored at a storage rental facility. Now I can store my trailer at home, so I don't worry much about it anymore. I do, however, have a long bicycle wire chain wrapped in the handle of the 2 propane tanks and around the trailer frame, locked.

nomadnewby
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Don't have one....but here is one solution. Hope this helps or at least is a start.

Battery Lock....HERE

This is what I use after having one of mine stolen.
Well worth the price

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I got a personal message from Torklift. They read my post on the forum, and are giving me one of their PowerArmor boxes in exchange for my evaluation and review of the product. It looks like it will really keep my battery secure. As an added bonus, it has a solar panel built into it that maintains the battery. I'll post once I get it and have used it for a while to let you know what I think of it.

PowerArmor
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Don't have one....but here is one solution. Hope this helps or at least is a start.

Battery Lock....HERE

I have one myself. good people to deal with.
bumpy

I had mine stolen as well 2 yrs ago. Bought this battery lock and no more disappearing battery.
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had a problem but I don't live in TX or any so called borer state where you lose tailgates on pickups and grilles out of 60 Cheyies!