cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up a trailer like a boss

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I came across this video in Facebook of some sort of event/competition backing up trailers in what appears to be Europe.

Backing up a trailer like a boss
16 REPLIES 16

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I once had to back about 2 1/2 miles, surrounded by semi trucks backing as well. Kind of a race. Guard rail on one side, rock wall on the other. Iirc, outside Allentown, Pa.
-- Chris Bryant

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to that, I definately need my "I'm sorry for what I said while backing up this trailer" T-shirt!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Very impressive.....and it's a single axle trailer which I have always found to be even more difficult to backup.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
Backing up a trailer fast is not impressive. It is contrary to the real world and safety. JMO

I don't disagree with you, .... but ... did you watch the video? It's not just about speed.

-Speak

Oh, I totally disagree. The skills shown are extremely impressive. I certainly canโ€™t do that. Racing cars at 200 mph isnโ€™t โ€œreal worldโ€, either. Also, Professional sports arenโ€™t โ€œreal worldโ€. Or safe for the vast majority of the rest of us.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Practice makes a huge difference.

Last couple years, life has gotten in the way and we've mostly been using her as a cottage with only a couple trips per year. When we do move it, we feel like first time idiots.

Prior to that we were moving 2-3 times per week and it took us about 15 min from pulling up to the site till we were sitting down with a beer relaxing.

Same thing with the boat. We used to have a twin inboard power boat (the ultimate in boat control) but we only used her summer weekends. We were very hesitant to take her in and out of the slip in windy conditions. Then we switched to liveaboard and were moving 2-3 times a week with a new marina each time...With just a 25hp outboard on a larger boat, we would comfortably go into places we would never consider with the twin inboard.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

I am impressed with the skills shown on the video...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
Backing up a trailer fast is not impressive. It is contrary to the real world and safety. JMO

I don't disagree with you, .... but ... did you watch the video? It's not just about speed.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
CapnCampn wrote:
Wait a minute, I thought you needed an F450 to tow a trailer?!?

It's okay, the car salesman told the guy his car has the same capabilities as an F450....

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can your boss back? I thought most spend most of their time driving a desk.
As for the video, if a hand know his ride, and doesn't have to worry about things to hit...

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I set up our company's RV shows and use a forklift to position the trailers 3 paces from each other. I've gotten pretty good at parking 80 to 100 trailers with military precision. Yet when I'm backing up my own 40 footer with my truck I can really suck. lol
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Letโ€™s compete! Otherwise foolish.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's actually pretty cool.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
What I'm wondering about is whether or not he did all of this using just his mirrors. Now THAT would be impressive.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB