Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up camera using factory screen

coryanderson
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone!

New to the truck camper game and loving it so far. This site has been great for advice, knowledge and, above all, confidence.

I’m looking for a back up camera for the back of our camper that I can plug into the tailgate camera plug.

I have a 2015 Chevy 3500 and I removed the tailgate so my camper won’t hit the support wires on the tailgate. My tailgate has a camera on it, so right now when I go into reverse my in cab screen goes blank and says it needs servicing. I would like to buy a camera that I can plug into that connector on my truck so I won’t have an extra screen (for most after market cameras) and my blank factory screen will actually be used again.

Anyone know of a camera that will plug directly in or is the easiest/cheapest solution to just buy a factory connector and back up camera and make my own?

Thanks!
Cory
13 REPLIES 13

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For narrow trailer, smart owners put 8' wide rod or lumber across, what can have painted or flagged ends for better visibility.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
For my Ford, I just bought a replacement camera from Ford, and printed a plastic mount to stick it on the camper.

Again on the Ford, there is no known hack to turn on the rear view camera when in motion. The only hack available disables the GPS so that the truck doesn't think its moving, then it is possible to get the screen turned on (to an auxiliary video input), but your GPS doesn't work for the duration. I'd love to discover a solution for this as I tow a narrow trailer than cannot be seen while driving. Thus, their safety interlock is unsafe.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

coryanderson
Explorer
Explorer
This is perfect. A little spendy but I guess everything is in this world. I still can’t believe good stairs cost $600+!

Thanks!!

jimh425 wrote:
Camera Source seems to have them for GMs too. I have the Ford model.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit.html?integration_type=237

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I took a different route, and got this camera for $97 on a lightning deal last year.
Occasionally the signal gets a little flaky, but I finally found a good spot for the transmitter to not get interference very often anymore. I have it wired up to always turn the screen on when the camper is on the truck.
It's actually nice having it on the rear view mirror, because it's still an automatic reflex for me to glance at the rear view mirror even when the camper is on the truck. With this camera/screen, when I glance up there, I can see what's directly behind me driving down the road, like a regular rear view mirror.

Wireless Backup Camera Kit

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a Camera Source salt spreader camera for my 2015 GMC 3500, plugs righ into the factory plug. I mounted my camera right under the the sewer hose/bumper on my Arctic Fox 990.

tlowe43q
Explorer
Explorer
My rear view is aftermarket, mounted on the upper rear edge of the TC and has its own screen that mounts on rear view mirror. Sorry I know nothing of a solution to use the built-in dash screen.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
I apologize for slightly expanding the question. Who knows have to change a stock 'backup' camera into a rear view camera that can be turner on and off with a switch, instead of selecting reverse. (I know it will be manufacturer specific). That's how my old truck/TC was setup with an aftermarket camera and screen, and it was very useful since the inside mirror is useless with the TC on.

I've been researching this subject not only for rear camera, but for using front Ford camera for traffic records.
Somebody would have to hack Ford's software and to day I did not find such person.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Another Camera Source customer. I bought the salt spreader version and mounted the camera above the camper door. I have a 2014 Chevy 3500, so the 2 plugs to the camera version. Just remember to unplug the camera when off loading the camper. The repair is underway.:o:S
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for slightly expanding the question. Who knows have to change a stock 'backup' camera into a rear view camera that can be turner on and off with a switch, instead of selecting reverse. (I know it will be manufacturer specific). That's how my old truck/TC was setup with an aftermarket camera and screen, and it was very useful since the inside mirror is useless with the TC on.
Cal

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, I bought one from Camera Source for my 2020 F-350. Very easy to install, just unplug yours and plug theirs in. Worked fine in the in-dash screen, no second
screen to fuss with.

tlowe43q
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the GMC tailgate camera part (from an online dealer - Quality GMC) and made a small bracket from scrap aluminum to mount it dead center over the license plate (access hole for wiring there). the framing guidelines are at a bit of a funny angle, but you get used to it.

I can also see under the TC as I back up, which is a huge help. Loading the camper is easier with that view, as well. I center the framing guidelines between the rear jacks; I also put a centered piece of duct tape on the black sewer pipe storage tube.

Cost me $137 with shipping.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I reused Ford tailgate camera on my camper just fine.
THE TOPIC

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camera Source seems to have them for GMs too. I have the Ford model.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit.html?integration_type=237

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member