cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back up camera questions

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing a restoration of a vintage truck camper. I'm at the point of replacing the rear running lights with LED's. I want to add a back up camera. I believe I have two options. One is add a back up camera to the camper and power it by the center running light. Obviously this would be a dedicated camera as it would be hard mounted to the camper. Good viewing angle being installed up high. Second option is to use a license plate back up camera. This has merit because I can use on the truck or the camper. I would have a power pigtail on the truck and the camper with a slip connector. So two license plates screws and a slip in power and done. Viewing angle obviously is much lower but the convenience of being able to use on both vehicles is a plus. In either case I'm going to use wireless. So what do you guys/gals think ? If I go with the camper mount I need to run the pigtail when I replace the lights. I'm probably a year plus away from having the rig complete but I'll be replacing the lights in the next two weeks. Any advice is appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
iwon415 wrote:
Another vote for Voyager wireless. No interference with new style. Best price was RVcams.com
A great camera system, and a fantistic company to buy from. I found them to be very informative in selecting a camera. All cameras are not the same. They will help you select a camera for your needs. The same is true with the monitor. I have had my system since 2006, absolutely no issues. I highly recommend RVcams.com.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

iwon415
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Voyager wireless. No interference with new style. Best price was RVcams.com

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a cheaper model a few years ago and I love it. Yes sometimes I get the flicker but I am only looking at it for a few seconds to either check the trailer or for backing up so really do not have an issue.

The only issue I have had is getting the monitor to stay where I want it. I can see the benefit of getting the model that has the monitor in the rear view mirror, I hate having stuff on my windshield.

Funny thing the other day; I was taking the truck and camper to work. Turned on the monitor but not the camera and then had to sit on an off ramp. As I was sitting there the monitor came on and showed me a moving picture of the same off ramp, then I see my truck and camper. Freaked me out, turned out it was a RV passing me. Made me step on the brake a little harder as I thought I was moving.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

dshind
Explorer
Explorer
I had a china made wireless one. paid 250.00 for it.It had a lot of interferance ( flashing lines thru picture).Got rid of it and bought a Voyager system.The camera and monitor are paired and can only see each other (0) interferance.Best thing I ever did. It cost more money but well worth it. Dave

FreeLanceing
Explorer
Explorer
I put a double din pioneer in my 2002 2500hd. Some say it cant be done but it can. I went through 2 license plate cameras inside of a month. I think I will stick with the mirrors and a fish eye. I move a lot of trailers around and I smashed the camera with the hitch.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Rear View Safety wireless unit. Works very good. My first install and use was on my 31' motor home. No video problems at 31'. I wired into the clearance lights for the camera and a switched hot wire for the 7" monitor.

I will switch it to my TC when needed. When I get an extra $150, I will buy a second camera and mount the cameras permanently on the TC and MH.

My monitor can handle 4 different cameras which can all be viewed at the same time or toggled through one-by-one. $299 + shipping.

moomps
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the 7" Monitor with Wireless Mounted RV Backup Camera from Tadi Brothers. I too hooked the camera up to the clearance lights so they have to be one for the camera to work, but that allows me to check behind me at any time, not just in reverse.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
rfuerst911sc wrote:
For those of you that have installed wireless cameras can you tell me what brand/model you chose ?

Dont remember the name of the seller but I got it off Ebay. The make is a Veise. If you search "Veise wireless back up camera" you should find the vendor. Great product and great seller.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

eagle777
Explorer
Explorer
wireless from Rear View Safety, mounted just under the clearance lights because of the awning. connected to the clearance lights so only on when I have the lights on and spliced a 12v cigarette plug onto the monitor so only on when I plug it in..no problems with either monitor or camera.
jack
Manteca, ca

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that have installed wireless cameras can you tell me what brand/model you chose ?

moomps
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a wireless camera and monitor on my TC and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Yeah - it flickers a little, but I have it set up so the camera is powered by the running lights on the TC and it works fine, even on the highway. The set up was easy - just a couple power and ground wires to hook up and no snaking wires thru the truck and the camper. And, I didn't have to splice the wire so that I could unhook the TC when I take it off. It's not perfect, but I'm very satisfied. Also - I mounted the camera high on the TC so it shows a wide view behind me.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and a wireless setup. The license plate setup sucked. Very limited on what you can see. Wireless required more wires than the wired ubit, and constantly frashed on and off. It was much worse than any camera I have had.

I finely went to a camera that had a 5-wire cable (about 1/4" in diameter) that went from the camera to the back window if the truck. It coupled to a second cable that went inside the truck to the monitor. This coupling allows me to disconnect the cable between the truck and TC. The camera is the hard of the system. You can choose distance, wide angle, infrared, and combination of each. I found you must mount the camera below the TC clearance light, or the light will drastically interfere with the infrared. I can see all of my Samurai and most of the tow bar, and also see about 1/4 mile (or more) behind me in total darkness.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been using a wireless system for over 4 years. It works great. I run 2 cameras off the same system. One is mounted above the door giving me a nice view of whats behind the TC. The other one is mounted on the roof top for when I need to see roof top clearance issues. Wireless systems are like anything else....buy cheap and you get cheap.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching a new double din head unit with nav and backup camera. In talking to four different installers, to a man they say avoid the wireless camera. They don't even stock them anymore.

No personal experience.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide