cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back to gas v diesel

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
An rv owner who traded his diesel for the 7.3. He talks towing, fuel, payload etc and does qualify it from the perspective of towing a 12,000 lb travel trailer.
godzilla towing
Thought a few may find it useful.
71 REPLIES 71

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the typical rv guy just bought a new truck. Its the best.

Mountains in Georgia ???
Hell Ive towed commercial trailers in Georgia with the old carb 460/454 gassers pulling 14K-16K GN trailers fully loaded and never saw a actual mountains. A few steep grades but not I would consider moutain grades. Nothing like what I hauled with the same truck/trailers in CO/NM real mountains.
No doubt Fords 7.3 is a great gass tow motor and should be a big hit with many rv folks.

30 min to warm up a diesel ??
And cold in Georgia ??
Hell my old '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins puts heat out on single digit temp mornings the first two miles from my garage. I guess he thinks a frost morning is cold weather. The february storm in 2011 had one morning down to -26 below here that nite and got up to 6 around noon. Ran the starting grid heater twice started right up. Pulled the exhaust brake on and with the high idle had warm air in the cab and engine temp ready to go in 4-5 actual min. Now the NV5600 took a while to shift gears.

His problem was he had the wrong diesel truck for his diesel vs gas analogy and seemed to make assumptions all diesel were like his.

Good vid tho on how the 7.3 gasser handles his small 7600 lb TT.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I saw this thread this morning and during lunch I was filling up with diesel and what comes pulling up next to me? A 4500 Ram with a Hemi engine. I've been seeing this trend in the Ram truck line with more and more Hemi's replacing the cummins engine. So I had to ask the field tech why he has a gas engine and instead of diesel and his comment was emissions, transmission and injector failures. He said their entire fleet of trucks is just about converted to gas. Also he said the gas is underpowered in his truck.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to buy a new truck it would have to be a 7.3. My 5th wheel weighs about 8,000 lb. unloaded and I have no plans of getting anything bigger. I have a 6.2 with a 6 speed right now and it's not too bad but it could be better. If it had a 10 speed I think it would much better than it is right now.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
"I can see my engine": LOL, ok, you can see your engine. "look I can change my plugs and plug coils because I can see them." Ya, so? Diesels don't have those so why worry about it? And if it's so important to see your engine why not just get an inline?

Don't think that was meant in the literal sense.

There's no denial modern diesels have much higher repair / maintenance costs than modern gassers. At my current company nearly every fleet truck under 5ton is a gas.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Tend to agree with you Wowens, but fanboys will demand everyone have what they do , because anything else is garbage.

You are so right. I try to research and use logic. Currently I'm towing a 8000lb TT with a 2002 Chevy 6.0, and it has been great, but it does struggle on some hills, and I would not want to go any heavier with it.

I'm thinking we will got to a 35ish foot 5er in the next couple of years, and I think the 7.3 with 10spd will be perfect for it.

My Chevy has been as they say Like a Rock, but I'm honest with myself, and I don't think Chevy's 6.6 gas with a 6spd can compete, so Ford here I come. I see no need for Diesel for my use.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Tend to agree with you Wowens, but fanboys will demand everyone have what they do , because anything else is garbage.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I watched that awhile back, and actually was good info, especially since I live in GA, and tow in the same areas he does, and currently with a similar size camper.

I'm probably buying, or atleast ordering a 7.3 in the spring. Before the 7.3, once you hit 10-12k lbs, you were really in diesel territory to have a decent tow experience. Now, I think you can tow with a gasser up to the 14-15k range. It isn't gonna compare with a diesel's torque, but for a midsize 5th wheel for the weekend warrior, it fits that need well.

The payload different between the 7.3 and 6.7 seems to be 800-900lbs from the sticker I've seen. While the engine weights are not that big, I think the DEF, and other **** they have to put on the 6.7 adds a couple of hundred pounds.

I like the fact you can see things under the hood. I still do lots of my own repairs/maintenance, and with the 7.3, I should be able to easily do alternators, water pumps etc. The 6.7, I'm always hearing about having to take the cab off to replace parts, I've never worked on one, so I may be wrong.

I don't think the 7.3 is a replacement for the 6.7 in all cases, but for someone with a 12-14k lb camper that dailys it, and tows 10-15 trips a year, it really is a great fit. I think with it being a simple pushrod engine, that it hopefully will be a 300k engine, I think that is the duty cycle Ford is expecting from it.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The "payload" thingy is really a joke. Who carries much extra weight on their front axle? RAWR and actual RAW is all that really matters.

800# difference between the 7.3 and 6.7??? The 6.7 weighs 1,100# and the 7.3 weighs 737# for a difference of 363# sure as heck NOT 800# as the vid guy says.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Conclusion: ANYONE with a smartphone and selfie stick can be a star on the interwebs.

Wondering why he traded out of what he had?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
should be d vs g vs electric
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The dude makes some really weird arguments.

"Payload": If you pull a 7K trailer, who cares what the payload is? Gas or diesel has you covered. If you have a 18K fiver are you really going to pull it with a gas truck because you're low on payload with a diesel?

"I can see my engine": LOL, ok, you can see your engine. "look I can change my plugs and plug coils because I can see them." Ya, so? Diesels don't have those so why worry about it? And if it's so important to see your engine why not just get an inline?

All in all that was a pretty weird video IMHO.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different day, same results.