cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning light strip

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
We mostly dry camp and have used the light strip frequently. No problem. However last few times we used hook ups i noticed one LED in the strip was out. Looked an hour or so later and two more were out.
I believe the poor quality LEDs do not tolerate any voltage above 12 volts. Measured the voltage at 13.4 at the time. This maybe true?
8 REPLIES 8

31_tundra
Explorer
Explorer
The Boogie Lights seem really well constructed, really thick housing, seem really durable.

I have Boogie lights and I think they are worth the money.
2005 Ford E-350 V-10
2020 Rockwood Signature 8332SB

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes itโ€™s the quality. I have a set on my trailer for the last 4 years. Just now I have one that the color isnโ€™t right on. Bought 2 sets for my daughters bedroom for Christmas. Between those sets there are a couple that are out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
Boogey Lights
Made for RV's and are bright

Just bought a set at our yearly RV Show here in Grand Rapids Mi. Not bad deal@ $99 on white PCB. Cant wait to put them on. Im going to be replacing some that I bought on eBay few years ago. Some of the LED's are stuck on a certain color.

The Boogie Lights seem really well constructed, really thick housing, seem really durable.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Boogey Lights
Made for RV's and are bright
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with a strip that was in a rectangular tube, an added layer of protection.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with comments re quality of LED.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking that it's more the quality of the LED's than the voltage that causes issues... We have a 2017 surveyor with factory a installed LED strip which has already been replaced under warranty. About 20 LED's burned out within the first week of owning it, the new one is ok so far... Had a good quality aftermarket strip on my previous trailer which had no issues with burned out sections ever.. I've tried different interior LED's in several trailers and campers and found that the quality LED bulbs had zero issues while the cheap Chinese E-bay bulbs were hit and miss. Many of the cheap ones either burn out all together or flicker annoyingly after a while.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt it's due to voltage.

#1 suspect is a failed solder joint from thermal stress. If you push hard on the leds that are out, do they come back on?

#2 is water intrusion ... water gets in there and actually eats the connections, and you get a dead LED. Once water's found even a tiny hairline crack in the plastic or silicone covering, it can move along inside the strip using capillary action
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed