cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning leakage

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new TT last year. Has a powered awning attached normally at the top inside a tube/sleeve. When it rains it leaks water down the outside of the trailer wall, dripping on anything we have next to the wall. Anyone else have this problem?
Climbed up a ladder to take a look and it appears to puddle next to and run into the sleeve/slot that mounts the awning and then drips off the entire length of the awning wall.
Awning has very little downward slope compared to my old trailer's Dometic manual awning. So is this maybe the problem? Anyone else deal with this? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Most longer trailers, 26'+, have the awning rail butted together, due to the needed length. As stated, the leak is probably at the joint. Ours did, and even the factory failed to seal it up a second time!! I used a rubber cement (for the roof) and, after cleaning the sloppy job of sealing previously done, applied a few coatings of the rubber roof cement.

So far, after 3 trips, a couple of rains, no leakage. The glue is pretty liquid, and flowed into the joint much better than just a covering of silicone or sealant.

Also, the butt joint was uneven, one section slightly higher than the other. The sealant gob, blocked the channel somewhat, and the leak would continue for quite a while till drained completely. Leaked right over a side window. At least it wasn't over the door!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
Ex-Tech wrote:
Take a close look and see if the awning rail is spliced together where it leaks.
Mine was and I needed to silicone it to make it stop.
Mine even leaked from the run off of condensation from the roof air.

Mine has the same issue. I ask the dealer to fix it as they have it for other warranty repairs. It should be an easy fix.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
stickdog wrote:
It's a sun awning not a rain awning.

Says who? Any awning fabric I've ever seen has been waterproof.

Mine leaked just a little against the wall also. Little caulk fixed the problem permanently

I think some one missed the humor. 🙂
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. It doesn't leak through the fabric, just into the slot that its in. So I think a bead of some very flexible calk along that slot edge mught be the answer. Sounds like I am not the only one with this problem.

4Powells
Explorer
Explorer
Any type fabric that is sewn, will leak. Probably a seam up top.
DW, 2 DS's and Lily the Bishon Frisee
2006 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:

Says who? Any awning fabric I've ever seen has been waterproof.

Mine leaked just a little against the wall also. Little caulk fixed the problem permanently
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Take a close look and see if the awning rail is spliced together where it leaks.
Mine was and I needed to silicone it to make it stop.
Mine even leaked from the run off of condensation from the roof air.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed this on our last outing a couple weeks ago. I'm planning to get up there and take a look. If you find a solution somewhere, please share. I'll do the same.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!