cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching a solar panel

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
What product that is in tape form is used to attach a panel to a metal roof? No screws no holes. Bill
17 REPLIES 17

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:
3M VHB tape.

DITTO.

Clean both mounting surface very well and you will good results.
Bob

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Heck on class A motorhomes half of the panels are held on with VHB tape. On the one I had the luggage doors, access panels, etc were all assembled with VHB tape as the only fastening. Screws aren't foolproof either, depends on what you hit with them and how rotted the material gets.

I glued the mounts on with 3M 5200 about 5 years ago. Still there.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
billyg wrote:
What product that is in tape form is used to attach a panel to a metal roof? No screws no holes. Bill

Your going to need screws like it or not. I wouldn't trust tape for holding solar panels to the roof. I've used butyl tape and Proflext Geocell sealant for years to seal screws that I've use to fasten items to my Lance 815 metal roof.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies. I have a metal roof and I went with 8 attachment points for my 100 watt panel. I bought SS bolts that are flat on top and the head is shaped like an upside down pyramid. I epoxied the bolts to the roof covering the entire head with a ton of goop. I will figure a safety tether as insurance. Bill

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fiberglass roof. My panels have been attached with VHB tape for about eight years. I check them whenever Iโ€™m on the roof. They are still bombproof.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
the problem with only gluing them to the rubber roof is your bond to the RV is only as good as the rubber roof to plywood bond.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
VHB 3m Tape
They have about 100 different types. Find the one that will be suitable for your roof material and has a high PSI rating.

I have had three panels on my roof for 4 years now. They are as strong as they were when installed. The naysayers are the ones that have never tried it or properly researched it.

Bill

uglymug
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Sticky Feet RV Solar Panel Mounts. They are brackets with VHB tape designed specifically for mounting Solar Panels on RVs with a Fiberglass roofs.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I used eternabond tape between brackets and rubber roof, Plus 2 screws through the roof, than covered screws with correct caulk.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought about hanging some off a hinge on either or both sides of my tc since i don't have awenings.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
garym114 wrote:
3M VHB tape.
Panel has been on my EPDM roof since 2007, no screws.

Do you have the flexible panels that sit flush on the roof or "conventional" panels attached by feet and spaced off the roof? I would be very leery of tape only attaching of a conventional panel to an EPDM roof unless you want the panel pealing the roof off your RV when a good wind gust comes along as you're driving down the highway. EPDM just isn't meant to be a structural attachment point.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
3M vhb with dicor self leveling over the top after mounted. Solid as can be. No holes no leaks.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Do not depend on tape to attach a solar panel to the roof. If the tape fails and the panel blows off the roof at speed, you could kill someone. This is a serious issue, screws are absolutely required. The holes in your roof are easily sealed, much easier than dealing with the issues that will arise from the panel going through the windshield of the car behind you.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I did four screws per panel, Eternabond tape and Dicor self leveling caulk.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad