cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At least I was honest

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Last Monday I made a impulse purchase on the way home from my seasonal. I wanted a small trailer for overnights and happened upon a Jayco dealer that had what I wanted. From the time I stopped to check it out until purchase was about 10 minutes.

I was asked by the dealer while doing the paper work what I thought of the trailer. I told him it's a cheap piece of carp*, I've seen these things built. He nodded in agreement and stated he has seen them built as well. I went on to say I'm not buying a Prevost or Newell and get what I pay for.

*not a fish but you get the idea
17 REPLIES 17

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I get it. My point is simply that there is no reason for the industry to change because they are making a better profit as is.

Until they start getting sued for quality failures or people simply stop buying the products or standards are legislated there is no reason for them to do things differently.
People are buying RVs in record numbers just like people are emptying the shelves at Wallyworld of cheap Chinese goods. Price not quality drives the market.

Which was what happened with the auto industry. They started making cheaper and cheaper products. Until the consumer started buying foreign, class action suits were brought against the manufacturers, and legislation was enacted to require a certain level of safety. Suddenly the industry had to produce a better quality automobile.

Except that AMC is gone, Chrysler is basically gone and owned by some foreign owners, GM is broke, and Ford mostly only makes pickups. Detroit , once the manufacturing pride of the USA, is in shambles. It would have better off for us all if we had bought the shoddy USA cars.

So it would have been better to buy pintos and other cars that put our lives at risk? I'd rather buy foreign than put my family's life in danger in a shoddily built American car.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I get it. My point is simply that there is no reason for the industry to change because they are making a better profit as is.

Until they start getting sued for quality failures or people simply stop buying the products or standards are legislated there is no reason for them to do things differently.
People are buying RVs in record numbers just like people are emptying the shelves at Wallyworld of cheap Chinese goods. Price not quality drives the market.

Which was what happened with the auto industry. They started making cheaper and cheaper products. Until the consumer started buying foreign, class action suits were brought against the manufacturers, and legislation was enacted to require a certain level of safety. Suddenly the industry had to produce a better quality automobile.

Except that AMC is gone, Chrysler is basically gone and owned by some foreign owners, GM is broke, and Ford mostly only makes pickups. Detroit , once the manufacturing pride of the USA, is in shambles. It would have better off for us all if we had bought the shoddy USA cars.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
One needs to look no further than where these trailers are made....Indiana...the home of the $7.25 minimum wage.

There was no need to inject politics into this discussion. Poor quality is endemic to the RV industry, everywhere.

I see no politics in this post. The mods must not either or it would be gone.
Bucky I don't intend on changing the subject but all the information I've found indicate a bottom wage at Keystone of $11. dollars a hour. I know at New Horizon RV in KS they have a ad for workers with a starting wage of $11. for a cleaner to $19. for production workers including a benefit pkg.

Can you tell me anyone in the RV industry making minimum wage?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
One needs to look no further than where these trailers are made....Indiana...the home of the $7.25 minimum wage.

There was no need to inject politics into this discussion. Poor quality is endemic to the RV industry, everywhere.

I see no politics in this post. The mods must not either or it would be gone.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jdc1 wrote:

I think that’s about the 3rd time you’ve used that line in the last week or so…..lame.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
All indications I've found is people in the RV industry are rewarded for speed not for quality. I don't believe the low quality is related to wages. I believe it has more to do with production speed.

The president of Keystone when asked about New Horizon RV was quoted as saying ((They build more RV'S in a week then New Horizon builds in a year))

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what percentage of RV purchasers are influenced (at least partly) by the thought that it would make a good bug-out tool in case the SHTF?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With care, more than the average person will give, you’ll be fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
It's the same story. The industry produces carp and we still buy it.

A a society, we put so much effort into avoiding Chinese made goods (read the Q&As on Amazon and see how many consumers "won't buy Chinese" because they produce junk).

Yet, we reward an American industry producing carp worse than the Chines equivalent.
I have no illusions of perceived quality. I knew exactly what I was buying. I've had decent (luck) with the Cherokee division of Forest River. I know it's cheaply made but with maintance it will still last several years.

I would rather give my money to a American company then a Chinese company, just personal preference.

I bought it because the area I like on the way to the seasonal doesn't always have a room available and the cost for a room at a motel 6 was around $100. a night.

I would rather spend the extra money for fuel in order for me to have a comfortable bed with room for the Collies.