cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are DMVs operating in your area?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought new vehicle and need to register it in Clark Co. (Las Vegas).
The DMV operates by appointments only and has 90 days prebooking limit.
At present all 90 days are already booked and even getting on the site early Sunday morning did not find any new slots available.
Are we forced to ignore the law?
18 REPLIES 18

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
To add salt to the wounds, I have to do some business with CITIBANK.
They don't do emails, their chat rooms are offline and phone system is "experiencing technical difficulties" and hangs up on you.
Finally found a way to make appointment at branch across the city. ... in over a week.

Bedlam
All my registrations have been renewed online and tags sent snail mail home. I have not bought any vehicles in a couple of years, but we do not require inspections unless they are from out of state or missing documentation. There may be a way to register a newly bought private vehicle online, but I have never attempted that due to the supporting documentation I needed to supply.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought my truck in May, the dealer in NJ was going to deal with NY DMV by mail. I rode around with a 30-day temp tag for about 90 days until the plates came in the mail. Drove out to Indiana and back with expired tags. Every DMV in every state is dealing with the same issues due to covid.

I see NV DMV issues what they call Movement Permits and it says that they are available at every DMV location without an appointment. I would go down there and ask for one to use as a temp tag until you can get registered.

USAA had no problem with insurance on the truck because it was going to be registered and titled to me when the paperwork was done.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
In addition, there were licensed third party DMV services in major cites like Vegas that can handle new registration. The cost was the same except they tacked on a small service fee and charged for some services (like notary) that wasn't necessary if done in-person at the DMV office.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
We're green. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I joined AAA just to register the new to me TT. Got there half hour before they opened and was done in 20 minutes. DMV here isn't taking reservation, just got to wait in line which wraps around the building...no thanks.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
AAA will register your vehicle and issue plates in CA. Probably something similar in NV
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think all my tags are expired...truck, suv, boats x2, utility trailer x2, 5th wheel.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke to the local police about having expired tags, and having to wait for an appointment with dmv, he said don't worry about it, his were expired too!,
That's cool, however, state police may have a different opinion.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
park it for a few months.....

Point is that this might be very optimistic :R.
The Sprinter van is my project, so I don't need it registered at this point, but waiting a year is not an option.
Additional edge is that Mercedes just lost lawsuit for diesel cheating and there might be money coming to MB owners.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Basically...yes, you have to ignore the rules or park it for a few months.

I figure, I can point to the system and what are they going to do fine me because the DMV is closed.

But hey, the state lotto never missed a beat all thru this.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
WA DOL is all jacked up too. Drivers license services that must be in person are by appointment only.
But vehicle title/registration is performed by private business contracted to the state I presume.
They are open and relatively unaffected.
Hard to believe WA is not the most screwed up state....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold