cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic fox truck camper 990 or 992?

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a 2016 992 vs a 2017 990 TC. I have been over the floor plans, weight and other specs. Still indecisive. it is for true 4 season camping in Yukon and Alaska with 2 adults and 2 kids. Planning to have it for 10 years. Anyone have experience with either of these TCs they would like to share?

Also considering a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie dually. Overall its a big rig for us, but I think it will take us places that we want to go 🙂
49 REPLIES 49

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
macdale4 wrote:
My recommendation is don't buy one.

Don't buy what?

Deltabravo,
Please don't feed the troll. This guy just wants to bash the AF brand because he had a so-called bad experience. He is also breaking forum rules by continuing to bash a manufacturer.

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
cathtea wrote:
We are so close to buying our new TC! Have a hold on a 992, and a truck the dealer is trying to get from another dealer: ram 3500 cummins deisel DRW 6 seater. It seems like we need a lot of payload for us and the camper (approx 5400 lb). But I suppose that is camper living. I sure hope it works out.

If it helps, Truck Camper Magazine shows the wet weight may be a little lower than 5400. I found them correct on my 990.

*Arctic Fox 992: dry weight, 3,830 pounds + 40 gallons fresh, 333.6 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 30-pound full propane tanks, 54 pounds + 2 batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,897.6 pounds
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
macdale4 wrote:
My recommendation is don't buy one.

Don't buy what?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^^Soinds like you got the ultimate TC setup brewing.....happy summer!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
If you are buying a new truck, don't settle for what is on the lot and order what you want. Unless you are shopping last year's models, buying off the lot will not save you money over ordering.

Have you thought about an enclosed trailer to bring along things like bicycles, chairs and grills. This can also double as kids play room in bad weather.

X2. The enclosed trailer idea is a great idea. You can always put bunks that fold up against the wall when not in use. I think someone on the TC forum has done this.

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
We are so close to buying our new TC! Have a hold on a 992, and a truck the dealer is trying to get from another dealer: ram 3500 cummins deisel DRW 6 seater. It seems like we need a lot of payload for us and the camper (approx 5400 lb). But I suppose that is camper living. I sure hope it works out.

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
cathtea wrote:
They are having trouble finding one w the built in air ride. We may have to go w the aftermarket firestone air bags instead. . Sounds like a few of you have them. How do they work for you?

I went with Air Lift Brand airbags and have been very satisfied.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

wyocowboy00
Explorer
Explorer
I have the AF 992 and the choice between the 992 & 990 was based on the dry bath vs the wet bath. The DW wanted the dry bath.
I think you will be happy with the truck you are looking for.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

NGaMountains
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
If you are buying a new truck, don't settle for what is on the lot and order what you want. Unless you are shopping last year's models, buying off the lot will not save you money over ordering.

I'll second this. I just ordered a 2017 F-350 DRW. Everything in stock was missing what I wanted, had a bunch of stuff I didn't robbing $ and payload, or both. The truck just arrived at the ordering dealer, spec'd just as I want it, in less than 8 weeks.
2017 Ford F-350 4WD Super Cab 6.2L Gas DRW
2014 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Bedlam

Have you thought about an enclosed trailer to bring along things like bicycles, chairs and grills. This can also double as kids play room in bad weather.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cathtea wrote:
blackdbl0si wrote:
We have an 03 990, wife, myself and 3 kids. The additional bunk over the table makes it work. When everyone is up and bouncing around it is crowded, but everyone has room to sleep at night. It works for us.

This is inspiring to hear. We are looking forward to getting out in the TC. I will likely need to fly south to pick it up and drive back to Yukon. Any advice for set up with little people on board? Mine are 4 and 8 and this will be our first trip w a TC ever!

At your kids ages, 2 on the dinette bed is no problem. First AF did not have the bunk. Kids were 7 and 10 (and short for their age) and it worked fine. Now 11 and 14 this year, with the bunk, it worked good last year as the big kid was getting taller than the dinette bed is long. This year I'm going to kick them out into a tent.

Only prep I can think of with little ones your kids age is plan judiciously on where to store the gaggle of extra "stuff" that the wife packs for the kids!

Oh and prepare to have fun! The kids will love it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cathtea wrote:
We are looking at deisel. Wanted a bench seat in the front. But the only one available has 410 gear ratio. Will likely go w a 5 seater w lower gear ratio instead

You mean higher gear ratio. It's an inverse relationship. Lower numbers means less gear multiplication, hence higher gear ratio. Anyway, yes 4.10s with the auto trans with double OD are still manageable when running empty down the highway, but unless towing heavy, are a bit of a detriment to mileage at higher speeds.
Agree front bench is handy when u need 6 seats with seat belts.

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
blackdbl0si wrote:
We have an 03 990, wife, myself and 3 kids. The additional bunk over the table makes it work. When everyone is up and bouncing around it is crowded, but everyone has room to sleep at night. It works for us.

This is inspiring to hear. We are looking forward to getting out in the TC. I will likely need to fly south to pick it up and drive back to Yukon. Any advice for set up with little people on board? Mine are 4 and 8 and this will be our first trip w a TC ever!

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
They are having trouble finding one w the built in air ride. We may have to go w the aftermarket firestone air bags instead. . Sounds like a few of you have them. How do they work for you?

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at deisel. Wanted a bench seat in the front. But the only one available has 410 gear ratio. Will likely go w a 5 seater w lower gear ratio instead