cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic fox truck camper 990 or 992?

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a 2016 992 vs a 2017 990 TC. I have been over the floor plans, weight and other specs. Still indecisive. it is for true 4 season camping in Yukon and Alaska with 2 adults and 2 kids. Planning to have it for 10 years. Anyone have experience with either of these TCs they would like to share?

Also considering a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie dually. Overall its a big rig for us, but I think it will take us places that we want to go 🙂
49 REPLIES 49

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
You are looking at pretty much what we have. Our 990 is a 2016. We can slip in and out w/o having to move the slide out. We enjoy the room a slide provides. As far as our truck, I have upper and lower stable loads. Ended up with installing air bags. Made a big difference. Feel free to reach out with any questions.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I like a passenger side dinette/window myself. Often we stop alongside the road for lunch or to take a break from driving usually the view is on the passenger side.

We have the 1150 which is a very similar to the 990 camper, just a bit longer. I have found that to comfortably get to the bathroom the slide needs to be opened a bit. Not much though and it's easy to do before climbing in. Same at the grocery store or to get in for any reason really. You can squeeze in but why struggle?

We are mostly full timing now in it and coincidentally we are currently in Alaska, 2 adults and 2 60 pound dogs. It does get cramped at times. As far as 4 season camping, I have no desire to be where temps are extreme, either hot or cold, so we have never really tested the 4 season capabilities but the furnaces in these things put out a tremendous amount of heat although they gobble up propane and battery to do so.The camper stays pretty warm with reflectix wrapped windows and 4 warm bodies inside. But if needed we will crack a vent and use a potable indoor approved propane heater. (that's a whole other topic/debate)

Lastly your considering a late model Dodge Laramie dually. We love ours. Our last truck was a 2004 Ram diesel dually which we liked but I am still amazed at how much more truck the newer truck is. Power delivery and confidence while loaded with the camper is night and day. That's comparing a modded (air bags, shocks, sway bar..older truck to a bone stock newer truck. Aside from fuel economy numbers (11-12 vs 13-14 with TC) zero regrets. That 2015 Ram Cummins will put a smile on your face when you hit the hills.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

blackdbl0si
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 03 990, wife, myself and 3 kids. The additional bunk over the table makes it work. When everyone is up and bouncing around it is crowded, but everyone has room to sleep at night. It works for us.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
There are two of us, the wife liked the openness of the 990. You have to open the slide to use the bathroom of the 992, but the dry bath might work better for your children.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have a 990 and it's large enough for "Just me" solo, so I would think, between the two, the bigger 992 would be better.

If I remember correctly, the 992 is what? 2' longer or something like that? Sorry, don't remember. They, dealer - excellent by the way, advised that for solo the 990 is and will work fine, and it is.

With 3 others, it might get a little crowded so bigger might be better..

I'd feel almost "Crowded" with an additional person, it would be tight but manageable.

It's really just getting used to it, good luck.

Hope that helps a little.. but in your scenario, I would think bigger is better...

Happy trails, sounds like an adventure of a life time..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website